Best .300 win mag rifle?

Wow thank you for everybody's input. I currently shoot a browning a bolt 30-06. I would like to give sako a chance, but I know very little of the gun and accuracy. What would you guys pick out of the two, sako a7 or browning xbolt composite ss?

KIMG0080.jpg

I shoot the older SAKOs so I'm biased, I love Brownings, check out the Tikkas, too.

What rifle(s) do you own now? I'm one of those brand loyal people but it's because I want all my guns the same (safety, trigger, scope mounts, etc...)
I shoot a browning a bolt 30-06

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 for the Sako....that is until you discover your local drug dealer (oops I mean custom gunsmith) and they introduce you to pre64's and small ring pre WWI 98's....:E Crazy:....then the real scheming starts.

Good luck with the planing for your adventure.

R.

Now I'll say. Could use a new trigger. And maybe 100-150 rounds and then a good cleaning to slick up the action. But if you're looking at a 270/30-06 your looking at 500-550$ and a 100-150 more for a Magnum action. I have alot of really nice rifles but for a in the field gun. And I was buying new. I would definitely consider this rifle. Problem is I've never really seen anyone who sells this rifle off the self. It would be something you would have to order through a FFL. Davidsons ect. The point I'd say is it would leave room for upgrades and you could have a nicer rifle after a little leg work

Wow thank you for everybody's input. I currently shoot a browning a bolt 30-06. I would like to give sako a chance, but I know very little of the gun and accuracy. What would you guys pick out of the two, sako a7 or browning xbolt composite ss?

The Sako would be my choice between the two. That said I'm not sure what you're getting for the extra money over the Tikka T3, the Sako's less expensive sister.

Sako A7 if it doesn't shoot moa or better 5 shots (big difference between 3 and 5 shot groups) send it back and they will fix or replace it, plus the trigger breaks like glass

The Sako would be my choice between the two. That said I'm not sure what you're getting for the extra money over the Tikka T3, the Sako's less expensive sister.

I've not carefully compared the A7, T3 and 85. The 85 has a heavier profile barrel than the T3 trigger is a tiny bit better and the stock is way better, should be for twice the price. I suspect you are right that there is likely not much practical difference between the A7 and T3

I have a Sako 85 in 300 Winchester Magnum that I really enjoy. The A7 was not available when I got mine, but it looks like a nice rifle.

I own a Remington 700 in 300 win mag and love it is a older model with a stainless barrel it will shot 5 in under a inch. I would take a model 700 over almost any other rifle unless you just like to say you own another brand.

Bought my son a model 700 in 257 weatherby and it does the same thing with 5 in a inch group at 100, 26" stainless barrel gun cost 899.00 2 years ago and I think they are the same now.

You get the trigger worked and down to 2 1/2 to 3 lbs most guns will make a shooter out of anyone. The trigger is the most overlooked item about a gun.

I own a SAKO 85 Classic in 308 Win and 375 H&H. Both are very nice, and VERY accurate, and smooth tigger's. Speaking of pulling the trigger, I will be get a third SAKO 85 this January, most likely 300 WM, but maybe 30.06

I am a pretty big browning guy. I own about 9 of them. I asked my gunsmith who fine tunes my guns to my specs and when I told him I was going to Africa about them. He said because I wanted a cape buff and plains game I would look for an older browning or a winchester as he likes the idea of controlled feed if things get tough. I never thought of this until now as I have a couple other brownings in push feeds with no problems. He also said the x bolt trigger if you get a good one great otherwise you are stuck with what you get even though they say there adjustable.

I also lived in NM for 7 years and hunted there and colorado a lot. Even shot 4 oryx in NM. The brownings worked great with no problems. I just got nervous when he said controlled vs push feed. I have had no problems with my brownings but when a cape is pissed off and a shell gets stuck I might get nervous. Just a thought.

I can't say enough great things about brownings just food for thought. Good luck in your adventure.

Stick with the '06, forget the 300, use the $$ for trophy fees and airline tickets, and taxidermy!!!!

IF you are 100% dead set on a 300, and you already have a Browning, go that route.

Thanks everybody, really. I think I've settled on the sako a7 in .300 win mag. Let's hope it will shoot straight if I do my part!

Stick with the '06, forget the 300, use the $$ for trophy fees and airline tickets, and taxidermy!!!!

Exactly what are you wanting out of a .300 win mag that you can't get from a 30-06?

I like the extra velocity and larger energy output. Better suited for long range.

For YEARS we used the standard 308 (7.62X51) for military sniping, the 300 H&H (not much difference from a '06) won Wimbledon 1000 yds then the 300 Win Mag appeared. There is a definite velocity advantage, true, but with the heavier bullets the short neck of a 300 means the bullet is seated into powder space.

Shoot your '06 over a chronograph, select good bullets, spend time on the range. Shoot any animal with a 300 and a 30-06 (and a host of others..) and ask that animal to tell you the difference - it can't. Dead is dead and a bullet in the vitals kills.

There are applications for a 300, true enough, but probably 85% of the WORLD'S hunting can be done with an '06.

I have a 300 because I got it at a great deal and I love it, but if it was an '06, I certainly wouldn't be in the market for a 300 (maybe a 338 - but not a 300) Just my opinion.

Of your 2 choices laid out in your post, I would go with the Sako. Great, accurate guns!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LavadaMacG

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.