Best 17HMR

Jamie D Van Roekel

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I bought a Savage 17HMR, the plain wood one. I have the same rifle in 22 LR, and love it. Very accurate and great trigger. I bought it to teach my wife to shoot a few years back. Well the HMR wouldn’t shoot under 1 3/4”. I returned it and got another one well that trigger I couldn’t adjust under 4 pounds and was very inconsistent in its pull at that. Returned again. I am scared to buy a third. Any opinions as to what would be a good 17HMR. I will need to be able to shorten the stock for my wife, so I prefer wood. Thanks.

Love my cz 455. Bought the 22 lr with the 22 magnum barrel. Just bought the 17 hmr. Wow what an awesome rifle. More powerful than the 22 lr and faster than the 22 magnum. Head shots all day long for rabbits. Turkish walnut stock. Kits available for upgrading triggers. Great all around rifle. Only a few companies make the 11 mm scope rings

Last edited:
I had a Weatherby/Anschutz Mark XXII bolt action 17HMR - a lovely rifle that I had stupidly sold. It was very accurate, though after 50 rounds or so the accuracy would suddenly drop. The solution was to pull a snake through two to three times. If you can find one of those I recommend it. 17HMR is a great round but .17 cal is a pain in the ass to clean. I have a Cooper Jackson Squirrel in 22lr. Another fantastic and accurate rimfire, also available in 17HMR. I had a CZ455, but mine was very poorly made (it shot straight though) and I got rid of it quickly. Sako makes nice rimfires also.

Its not your rifle.

With the 17hmr, CCI and Winchester are the only ones who manufacture the ammo. Hornady, CCI, Federal, Norma are all CCI. The problem is there is ZERO consistency as CCI simply doesn't give a shit anymore. Winchester is even worse. They literally will use one type of powder one day and another type the next day for the same brand of ammo. On top of that, there could 200-300fps difference in the same box of ammo.

15 years ago on a calm day with high magnification you could shoot 3 shots into 1 hole at 50 yards and 100 yards would average 3/4" or less. Today, your 1 3/4" doesn't surprise me and is frankly a little better than average.

They say the different brands request certain specifics from cci. They may demand better quality control, but I think that is only in theory.

My suggestion would be to buy a box each of cci, Hornady, and Federal. Forget Winchester and browning as they are even worse. If one of the boxes shoots for the most part 1", run back to the store and buy 10 boxes of the same lot number. From there, you will have to weigh each individual round and create batches. It's the only way now unfortunately

Honestly, I think you are better off buying a 17 or 22 cal centerfire in a light compact platform. You have options from plinking ammo to match grade. If you are small game hunting, you will have to find someone who can load them down to rimfire magnum velocities. Reloads of Dallas or the likes.

Good luck, it sucks my friend

This is a slight hijack, but I’m looking for a decent rimfire with irons for practice. I’m leaning towards a CZ, any other suggestions? Preferably bolt action and walnut.

With all the reported issues of 17hmr case necks splitting, bullets jamming in the rifling etc I wouldn’t touch one if it was given to me.

With all the reported issues of 17hmr case necks splitting, bullets jamming in the rifling etc I wouldn’t touch one if it was given to me.

The case necks have been splitting ever since the orgins of the 17hmr. However after 5-7 years of storage, they REALLY split. I called CCI some years back complaining about this and they said they are aware of the issue and had started using a different brass formula or coating that would prevent the breakdown over the long term. Not sure I trust it so I wouldn't have more than a few years worth of ammo. I would still expect the necks to slightly crack though

My wife's Savage 17HMR, stainless barrel in their thumbhole stock has shot in the .3's" @ 100 yds. .5's" to .7's" are common. this rifle likes CCI's TNT (Speer Hollow point) the best. great value for $300 and change

I have a browning T-bolt. Very accurate rifle. I haven’t experienced any of the issues noted above. Just luck I guess.

I shoot a Anschutz 1717 in 17 HMR. It likes Hornady 17gr V-Max follwed bt CCI 16gr lead free hollow points best. I have never had any of the problems mentioned previously. I have a Browning T-Bolt in .22LR that I like even more than the Anshutz. It prefers SK and Wolf ammo over all others.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sports0266

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg