Best 17HMR

Forget the 17 HMR if you are looking for CONSISTENT accuracy. Rim fires are very ammo sensitive and QC seems lacking these days. Get a CZ in 17 Hornet and your problems will be over. Frightfully effective, accurate, and reloadable!
Tell that to the thousand's of Sage Rat's and several hundred Prarie Pups shot this spring, 4 of shot a 1/3 to 1/2 of five gallon bucket of 17 hmr brass one day earlier this year, all three of my 17 hmr are Minute of Small Varmint

Has anyone spent much time with the Ruger precision 17 HMR? What are your thoughts on it?

i have a browning t bolt as well, super accurate and it is my favorite stock. mine is a stainless and laminated wood model, it loves cci ammo. it will shoot around and inch at 100 yards is i do my part.

Reactions: WAB
I have an older .17 hmr given to me by a friend when he was diagnosed with cancer. I have no opinion on brands or barrels or ammo. Mine is no frills and boring but astoundingly accurate. This morning my son wanted to learn to shoot a “sniper rifle.” Left the open site .22 in the safe and took out the .17. Blew to smitherines all the cans and plastic bottles from our recycle bin after we filled them with water. He was immediately addicted-also a better shot left handed. I was so proud when he said “this is better than video games!”
339A9CDC-4E1D-44EF-A6AE-82DE2DA35DB8.jpeg

Never mind his form-he is a work in progress!

I have a CZ 452 Varmint in 17 hmr. A little barrel heavy but not so much as to be a problem. Shots one hole groups at 50 yards all day. Upgraded the trigger to a Timney. A previous owner had put a spring kit in the trigger and breathing on it would set it off. No good for hunting so I swapped it out.

I think the best 17HMR is a Ruger m77 in 17WSM.

i have a browning t bolt as well, super accurate and it is my favorite stock. mine is a stainless and laminated wood model, it loves cci ammo. it will shoot around and inch at 100 yards is i do my part.
I have a plastic stock T-Bolt. I have had it a few years and have yet to put a scope on it and fire it. Hell, I have several boxes of various ammo and a scope.
Looks like a fun little cartridge.
Is there any ammo for the 17 HMR that will not red-mist small game with a body shot. Going by what a buddy told me, it is not a grouse gun. Though, I don't know what ammunition he was using.

I would look for a FMJ, cci used to load it. I assume they still do. I would make sure a fmj is legal

I bought a Savage 17HMR, the plain wood one. I have the same rifle in 22 LR, and love it. Very accurate and great trigger. I bought it to teach my wife to shoot a few years back. Well the HMR wouldn’t shoot under 1 3/4”. I returned it and got another one well that trigger I couldn’t adjust under 4 pounds and was very inconsistent in its pull at that. Returned again. I am scared to buy a third. Any opinions as to what would be a good 17HMR. I will need to be able to shorten the stock for my wife, so I prefer wood. Thanks.
Go CZ, unlikely you will ever regret/look back.

I have ended up owning three 17HMR's
1. Sako Quad - Accurate. Feeds well from the 5 shot magazine not so good from the 10 shot magazine. Option to get additional caliber barrels -22lr & 22mag.
2. Anschutz 1517 classic - The most accurate rifle of the three (1/4 to 1/2" groups at 50yds) with three types of ammo and feeds so smoothly.
3. Lithgow Arms 101 (Australian made) - Very accurate only just second place to the Anschutz in accuracy. Feeds well and you can uses CZ magazine or factory Lithgow magazines. They are an interchangeable mag design.

I would look for a FMJ, cci used to load it. I assume they still do. I would make sure a fmj is legal
I actually purchased a couple of boxes of those a couple of days ago. The first that I had personally seen of those. I have a variety of others. As I wanted to see what it grouped best with and of course the limited supply of any. So I bought what was available.
I will pick up a couple of more boxes of the CCI FMJ. If they are still on the shelf.

If you can find a sako quad they shoot great I recently picked up a 17hmr barrel for it shoots under 1 moa with everything Iv tried so far and around .5 with hornady. Feeds good nice adjustable trigger

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeMo

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you