Benefits of Joining SCI or DSC

swashington

AH senior member
Reaction score
New to the African Hunting process and wondering if there is any real benefit to join either of these organizations. Not bashing either as I know very little about them. Let me know your thoughts, I would would be interested in them even it was just solely a comraderie or place to meet others with like interest aspect.

As always looking forward to you inputs.

I suppose it depends on what sort of benefit you might be looking for...

in terms of getting detailed information about specific outfitters, or discounts on hunts, or anything else.. theres really no tangible benefit that I am aware of that would come from joining either organization..

but.. if youre interested in participating in the preservation of wildlife, animal and habitat conservation, etc.. both organizations bring quite a bit to the table..

mere membership alone "helps"... a % of membership dollars go towards various programs, etc..

but DSC and SCI are organizations in my experience that you get out of them in parallel with what you put into them..

Ive poured a significant amount of time into DSC for example.. I have volunteered/worked at the last 6 shows... through volunteering I have gotten to know several outfitters, as well as several other members.. both of which have provided a wealth of information and additional contacts related to international hunting..

my wife and I are life members and used to attend the monthly meetings in Dallas (pre-COVID, which shut them down at the time) routinely.. through the monthly meetings, we met several other members, once again deepened the rolodex with contacts of like minded people with similar values, made several friends, and got involved in a number of different activities that the organization puts on every year (everything from New Years Eve parties to Big Bore Shoots to training events, etc)...

There are also opportunities to serve at the local chapter and at the national level for those that are interested across a wide variety of programs/projects... anything from legal efforts to research, to youth education, to volunteer leadership, etc.. etc..etc..

While I think most would tell you that historically (recent history at least) DSC's annual convention is preferred (while both do an incredible job with their annual shows).. but most prefer SCI's more aggressive lobby/legal office and willingness to be proactive about hunters rights, and other issues..

Both are (IMO) good organizations that do a lot for hunters around the globe and worth the relatively minor amount of dollars required to maintain membership..

Thanks for the input, appreciate the honest answers. Money is tight this year and best spent on the hunts. More memories for the dollar

I have been a member of DSC since 2013. Not only have I learned "most" of what I know about African hunting from this forum, I have made so many friends that I have from this forum and the DSC show, I've learned just as much from them.

If you read a fair amount of posts on here, and you have an eye for who posts BS and who is legit; you’ll learn more.

I’m a life member of SCI and went to a couple conventions many years ago; it was terrific for seeing all the possibilities for international hunts. But for me, I have booked everything since mostly based off forum PM’s with members who I respect here and a few other places.

While this website is awesome and directly responsible for my african hunting addiction, DSC and SCI are great organizations to join.

In particular, the local chapters are great places to get together, do group hunts, etc. I joined my local SCI chapter, the National Capitol Chapter, last year. GreT group of folks. I've done two hunts with them- whitetail and upland bird, a Chapter banquet where I won a shotgun, and fun holiday and summer events.

All depends on whether hunting is a private thing for you or something you Iike to share.

Well you do get the Hunters Information Service from Barbara Crown, if you belong to SCI.

SCI also has full time lawyers and lobbyists making sure you can still hunt internationally and bring your trophies back.

International hunting has never been in more jeopardy. The UK was close to banning trophy imports from Africa last year. They managed to kill it in the House of Lord's. A new bill has already been reintroduced this year. It would be surprising if it didn't eventually pass. European liberal ideas tend to become popular with US liberals. All it takes is the wrong administration in the US to make importation of our trophys difficult or impossible. A ban on trophy importation may very well decimate the safari industry. It is worth supporting SCI and DSC just for their advocacy efforts and PAC dollars that support candidates that support our hunting rights. If we take our rights for granted today, they could be gone tomorrow.

Please try to join and participate in as many of the outdoors and conservation organizations as you can. Every member counts at every level.

Oftentimes, SCI, DSC, Sportsman’s Alliance, and similar organizations are the only parties filing briefs and pleadings and making arguments in the courts in the numerous lawsuits attempting to attack hunting, fishing, gun ownership, hunting with hounds, and other outdoor activities.

An overlooked aspect of these organizations is their support of the North American Model of Wildlife Conservation and sustainable-use wildlife conservation in overseas hunting areas including Africa.

The membership benefits of these organizations are well worth the annual $35 to $100 at the basic level here in North America or Europe. The unforeseen benefits to the local rural populations in the hunt areas overseas are exponential. Also quite a bit of useful information and friendly people and organizational employees at the conventions.

Happy hunting, TheGrayRider a/k/a Tom.

I’m in both and also a member of our Alabama state chapter of SCI. I promise get more out of the State chapter than the national organizations mainly due to the proximity to events. I need to get to the SCI convention and I may go to the DSC next year since it’s going to Atlanta.
Both organizations are great for information and advocacy for our sport and I will keep supporting them .
One selfish benefit I’ve found from attending our state meetings and convention is the overwhelming number of hunts I’ve been invited on. We went to our state convention last weekend and my wife thoroughly enjoyed it and she even slipped away for a few minutes and came back to the table with a hunt she bought me and an observer pkg for her.

I've been a member of SCI since 2012. All three of my hunts in Africa were either directly or indirectly arranged during trips to their main show in either Las Vegas or Reno. A show of their magnitude allowed me to meet and interview PHs and Safari providers, first impressions are paramount to me for making those decisions. But be aware, it's like telling a six year old child into a candy store and telling them that they can only have one treat. I doubt that I will be going on another african safari but that's because of health and age. I am still a member of SCI because that their representing of hunters, firearms owners and conservation is aligned with my beliefs.

New to the African Hunting process and wondering if there is any real benefit to join either of these organizations. Not bashing either as I know very little about them. Let me know your thoughts, I would would be interested in them even it was just solely a comraderie or place to meet others with like interest aspect.

Let me ask you a question. Do you want the next generation to be able to hunt? Would you like to be able to hunt a bear, wolf, or import an African trophy? Then you need to be an active member of several Hunting and conservation orgs.
I am a Life Member of both and service as VP of the San Angelo Chapter of SCI. DSC does a great job with fundraising and grants. SCI is bigger and has 8 full time attorneys fighting for our hunting rights on a daily basis. Contrary to popular opinion SCI spends more time on wolf and bear issues than international issues!
I hope you will join SCI as I will be seeking votes for Director-At-Large later this year.
Regards,
Philip

It’s not what these organizations can do for us as individuals, it’s what we can do for them and what they do for hunting….

One of the most important aspects of these organization is the number of members! The more members an organization has, the credibility is has in the eyes of the politicians and bureaucrats in government. Membership size = influence!!!

I am a member of both. However if I had to choose one clearly it would be SCI. They are the only ones fighting for us in Washington. I love my DSC but they are not to the extent of SCI

Thanks again for the great inputs everyone. I learn more and more reading posts on this site everyday. Truely blessed to have so many people with first hand experience willing to share.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulianneMo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.