Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, Wild Sheep Foundation
Hunted
Canada, Tanzania, South Africa
I’m prepping for an upcoming hunt in Tanzania. I am loading and shooting Barnes 300 gr TSX‘s in my 375 H&H and was asked by my Outfitter and PH to bring along some solids for Hippo. I’d like to find the solids that shoot as similarly as possible to the TSX’s. Should I be looking for Barnes banded solids (300/270 gr) or something else?

Thanks in advance.

Look at the Barnes site and click on "About", then click again on "Contact" and ask them directly your question.

I may still have some 375 banded solids out on the reloading bench… I’ll check today and let you know if you’re interested…

Impossible to predict what will shoot to same POI. But if considering the Barnes round nose banded mono solid, IMO, the North Fork FP solid is a better bullet. Reloading International shows some in stock.
IMG_4047.jpg

Last edited:
HORNADY DGS 300 GRS ARE EXCELLENT SOLIDS
I HAVE USED THEM IN BOTH MY 375 HH AND WBY 2600-2800FPS HANDLOADS
THEY PENETRATE INTO ANY SKULL LIKE HOT KNIFE IN BUTTER

Does ceb make a 300 gr FP solid 375 in copper? The comparable FP mono copper bullets were- Rhino, GS Custom and North Fork. To my knowledge North Forks are the only ones currently avail in US.

Last edited:
Does ceb make a 300 gr FP solid 375 in copper? The comparable FP mono copper bullets were- Rhino, GS Custom and North Fork. To my knowledge North Forks are the only ones currently avail in US.
Not sure. But the brass works well as a match to the TSX. It's the combo I used last year on Elephant and Buffalo. They group together perfectly in my gun.

I used a combo of nosler solids and barnes, which were sufficiently close at 100. My actual shots were only 25 yards. How far do you think you will be shooting?

Yes, they do make it with a flat point, but I believe the bullet is brass. I’ll try to take a picture of a loaded 375 with 300 grain CEB solid and post it for you. Excellent solid, IMO.

I found the 300 grain Hornady DGS solid @2550 fps was a good match for the 300grain TSX at the same speed and the DGS are very accurate (see photo- ignore my maths, it is a 4 shot group off sticks). I could only get hold of some 270 grain banded solids and they were 3 inches higher at 100 which wasn’t close enough for my liking though they printed close to my 250grain TTSX handloads.

25369694-699C-4594-B030-DBBB3DE4D5E0.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Barnes Banded Solids in magazine rifle calibers (like .375) are round nosed. Which is okay. But I personally prefer flat nosed.

I recommend 300Gr Norma flat nosed monolithic solids (among factory loads).
And 300Gr Cutting Edge Safari Solids or 300Gr Rhino Monolithic Solids (among bullets for hand loading).

fourfive8, here is that 300 grain Cutting Edge Safari Solid I said I’d get a picture of for you. I put an unloaded bullet to show you what the entire bullet looks like. The loaded round is .375. The bullet is a 400 grain .416 as I didn’t have a loose .375 bullet handy. Same bullet, just bigger.

03C203C2-2E0A-4B31-8B01-867DC083E854.jpeg
61B3E243-DBE2-4160-8045-F3CB813EDECD.jpeg

fourfive8, here is that 300 grain Cutting Edge Safari Solid I said I’d get a picture of for you. I put an unloaded bullet to show you what the entire bullet looks like. The loaded round is .375. The bullet is a 400 grain .416 as I didn’t have a loose .375 bullet handy. Same bullet, just bigger.

View attachment 526427View attachment 526428
That is the FP monolithic bullet I’m aware of made by CEB. I’ve tested some brass bullets, both the hollow point fragmenting Raptor and the FP brass monolithic and they seem to shoot fine. Some like them fine for hunting. I trust copper and they are all I use for hunting. Unless mistaken, those FPs are brass not copper.

Rhino dont make copper solids....

Look at the Barnes site and click on "About", then click again on "Contact" and ask them directly your question.
Already have. I’m looking for real world experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg