Bald Eagles and bad neighbors

For the last 15 years or so I had a bald eagle mount in my office. It was there when I promoted and I then became the guardian. I had to file paperwork with the Feds (USFWS) each year for the office to retain the mount. The mount was of the eagle perched on a limb with an American Widgeon underneath one talon as if the eagle was about to eat the widgeon. It was cool and garnered allot of attention.
The eagle for the mount was stuck by a vehicle while it was feeding on a deer carcass on Highway 97.
This photo was sent out as a press release just prior to the end of my career. I may have shared it before.
imagejpeg950953-1.jpg

Now... I've handled many hawks and eagles and I KNOW I should not have lifted the bird so close to my face. I figured it was my last opportunity for a pic before I retired. I almost paid for that decision...
received_10214091134005820.jpeg

The female eagle was injured, possibly from colliding into a wire or fence while pursuing squirrels. I captured the bird and transported her to a certified wildlife rehabilitation facility where the photos were taken.

According to the wikipedia, a golden eagle bred for falconry was measured and had a wingspan of some 9'3" and was 27lb in mass. Must be a helluva thing for one of those to take off from your arm with those wings beating.

It’s hard to imagine how big these birds are. I saw one sitting atop of a dead deer a while back, they are huge.
@Wyatt Smith
If'n y'all want a big eagle look no further the the Australian Wedgetail eagle. It has a wing span of up to 8 feet. A truly magnificent bird.
Screenshot_20220125-070739_Google.jpg
Screenshot_20220125-070646_Google.jpg
Screenshot_20220125-070842_Google.jpg

For the last 15 years or so I had a bald eagle mount in my office. It was there when I promoted and I then became the guardian. I had to file paperwork with the Feds (USFWS) each year for the office to retain the mount. The mount was of the eagle perched on a limb with an American Widgeon underneath one talon as if the eagle was about to eat the widgeon. It was cool and garnered allot of attention.
The eagle for the mount was stuck by a vehicle while it was feeding on a deer carcass on Highway 97.
This photo was sent out as a press release just prior to the end of my career. I may have shared it before.
View attachment 448730

Now... I've handled many hawks and eagles and I KNOW I should not have lifted the bird so close to my face. I figured it was my last opportunity for a pic before I retired. I almost paid for that decision...
View attachment 448731
The female eagle was injured, possibly from colliding into a wire or fence while pursuing squirrels. I captured the bird and transported her to a certified wildlife rehabilitation facility where the photos were taken.

View attachment 448730

View attachment 448731
@hunting Gold
Speaking as a friend seeing those photos and seeing you on video calls time ain't been your friend . Dang man it been better to you than me tho.
My son after see a phot of men my 30s and seeing me now thinks I haven't changed at all. I look like te south end of a north bound camel, but as I got older that camel got fatter he says.
Bob

4 on the RHS. The fourth is hard to see. Look below and to the right of the 3 you saw. There may be more, but I'm looking on a scratched up cell phone.
Yeah missed that one, easy once you know its there! How about over on the far left, looks like a possible brown one on the limb.

I see lots of Bald Eagles here in Wyoming. When I am driving along I-90 I usually see one every 10 miles or so. They are just sitting on a fence post or just out on the prairie.
I think they have multiplied greatly.

Yeah missed that one, easy once you know its there! How about over on the far left, looks like a possible brown one on the limb.
I think that's on the hillside my friend.

One of the coolest things I ever saw was on the way to Alaska on a tugboat one time, up in BC waters, beach was pretty close in that area and I saw something thrashing around, so got my binos on it.
It was a big bald eagle swimming in the water for all he was worth trying to get ashore.
When he finally made it he dragged a big salmon out behind him, it was dang near as big as he was!
That made my day.

That it is. Makes your eyes play tricks on you. Kinda like seeing a "stick deer" or "rock deer"! Or my last trip to South Africa and the dammed "warthog stump"! LOL
But hey, I could be wrong too.

That video is incredible
@hunting Gold.
ALWAYS REMEMBER in Australia we go bush,
We DO NOT GO CAMP.
I had a person one day tell me he was that gay and he was more camp than a row of tents.
Keep laughing mate we get it you may have to explain it to others tho.

I always consider myself lucky to live somewhere that has so many birds of prey, including bald eagles. It's nothing to see them eagles every day up here even in the winter. I can't count how many I've had just a few feet from the windshield of my truck after they take off from a deer carcass on the side of the road. Just going to the county landfill you'll see at least 6 or 7. I've also seen tourists do some stupid things just trying to get pictures of them.

The coolest thing was a couple months ago when I was untangling the American flag at the end of the porch. While I was looking up and untangling the flag, America's bird flew over at just over tree top level, cocked his head to the side and look down at me. I'm not too often the poetic type but that was very cool to me. There's just something about their eyes and that moment.

Well it looks like my local pair are out and about today, unless the bird that just flew over the house was some kinda white-headed turkey. No pics, I'm afraid; they're just strafing a bit and didn't land. Probably divebombing the river for fish and looking cooler than the local ospreys.

@Wyatt Smith
If'n y'all want a big eagle look no further the the Australian Wedgetail eagle. It has a wing span of up to 8 feet. A truly magnificent bird.View attachment 448747
African Fish Eagle (female) has a wingspan of about 95 inches. Males are much smaller with an 80 inch wingspan, about the same as the Bald Eagle. Below is not my picture, but it is beautiful.
1643750834687.png

Since on the subject, always curious about where the Native American legend of the thunderbird came from? :)

One of the coolest things I ever saw was on the way to Alaska on a tugboat one time, up in BC waters, beach was pretty close in that area and I saw something thrashing around, so got my binos on it.
It was a big bald eagle swimming in the water for all he was worth trying to get ashore.
When he finally made it he dragged a big salmon out behind him, it was dang near as big as he was!
That made my day.
Reminds me of my time working in northern Saskatchewan. I was stationed at Lac la Ronge and had just come off a night shift. Instead of going to bed I decided to grab my fishing rod and see if I could catch an early morning walleye. I picked a spot on shore that had an island straight across about 100 yards away. I wasn't getting any bites and was thinking about quitting when I saw a bald eagle flying my way. When he was about 30 yards out from me he wheeled around and hit the water. He struggled to get in the air as well and just flapped over to the island and climbed up the rocks with a beautiful walleye. I would probably have caught that fish on my next cast! Lol.

On another occasion in the same area I was driving down a road when I noticed an interesting sight flying directly towards me. It was an osprey with a small pike in his talons and he had an eagle right on his butt. I stopped the vehicle and got out to watch and when they were right over top of me the osprey dropped the fish which landed in the ditch about 10 yards from my car. That eagle did a roller coaster type loop and dropped down right on that fish. Wasn't bothered by me at all, just looked at me and gave one of those chittering calls they make. It was awesome to see but I felt sorry for the osprey!

One last eagle story. My father and I were fishing up on Reindeer Lake one day when an eagle flew over. I noticed one of it's large primary flight feathers come off his wing and spin slowly to the water. I drove the boat over to where it landed and found it floating there so I grabbed it. I was as excited as if I'd just caught a big lake trout. I had that feather a lot of years until one of my stepkids was playing with it and left it where my dog could find it. I nearly cried!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DelbertBat

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross