Bad weather rifle

Ya I'd like to find a ew I'd don't like the new one being made isn't stainless. The only nos ew I see are in 325wsm which I don't mind, just brass and ammo been a pain to find. I have some 300wsm I could use to make brass tho.

I have a somewhat customized M-70 EW in .325 WSM. It took me a while to warm up to the cartridge, but I’ve gotten to where I really like it. Excellent long range performance, outstanding terminal ballistics. I reload and have not had a problem with components.

Your cartridge choices are a bit limiting, but if you can live without them (or get lucky and find one, IDK), I would go with a Tikka T3X everyday, given your requirements.

The safety locks the bolt down.
They are silly accurate (meaningless for most hunting, but nice anyway)
They feed incredibly well.
Mags are cheap.
Get the Compact Light and it is pretty light, while being a much better rifle than most of the lightweight choices out there.
Eurooptic has a 24" 6.5C Compact on sale that I have bought 3 of for family. Perfect balance and handling.
Get it ceracoated and don't sweat it at all. yes it is blued, but it Is cheaper than SS, and under coating, it just doesn't matter.
As budget and taste allows, you can make tiny upgrades to it to turn it into an even icer rifle. (Sterk bolt handle and shroud does it for me)
I have 6 Tikkas. All have been incredible guns, equalling or bettering the performance of every single gun I have, some up to 6 times the cost of the Tikkas.

I agree on the ceracote. Even on stainless. Stainless rusts like a bastard when you’re running a zodiac in salt, plus IMO, it looks like crap. A nice satin black ceracote makes all the difference in the world.

Your cartridge choices are a bit limiting, but if you can live without them (or get lucky and find one, IDK), I would go with a Tikka T3X everyday, given your requirements.

The safety locks the bolt down.
They are silly accurate (meaningless for most hunting, but nice anyway)
They feed incredibly well.
Mags are cheap.
Get the Compact Light and it is pretty light, while being a much better rifle than most of the lightweight choices out there.
Eurooptic has a 24" 6.5C Compact on sale that I have bought 3 of for family. Perfect balance and handling.
Get it ceracoated and don't sweat it at all. yes it is blued, but it Is cheaper than SS, and under coating, it just doesn't matter.
As budget and taste allows, you can make tiny upgrades to it to turn it into an even icer rifle. (Sterk bolt handle and shroud does it for me)
I have 6 Tikkas. All have been incredible guns, equalling or bettering the performance of every single gun I have, some up to 6 times the cost of the Tikkas.
For what I costs to get a gun coated I think it would be about the same for the as tikka. We had the t3 when they came out in the early 2000s and I liked them I do prefer the action, mag and safety on the mauser/sauer guns but they don't seem to have a ss gun for the U.S. Market.

If this is your wish list...Kimber Talkeetna in 375H&H. I know, I know...costs too much, not the caliber you want, not to mention that they are about as common as hen's teeth. But it is CRF, stainless, synthetic and WICKED cool.

Option 2 - Kimber Hunter that is in your price range. Option 3 - I'm with @WAB in stretching your dollar (saving for a bit longer) and getting the Kimber Mountain Ascent in 30-06. Although I did see one on GB in 280AI for $1600.

Good luck with it.

EDIT - Found this on GI in 300WM...
https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...es/kimber-8400-subalpine.cfm?gun_id=101952651

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-07 at 8.48.48 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-07 at 8.48.48 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 48
  • Screen Shot 2022-07-07 at 8.48.51 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-07 at 8.48.51 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 46
Last edited:
If this is your wish list...Kimber Talkeetna in 375H&H. I know, I know...costs too much, not the caliber you want, not to mention that they are about as common as hen's teeth. But it is CRF, stainless, synthetic and WICKED cool.

Option 2 - Kimber Hunter that is in your price range. Option 3 - I'm with @WAB in stretching your dollar (saving for a bit longer) and getting the Kimber Mountain Ascent in 30-06. Although I did see one on GB in 280AI for $1600.

Good luck with it.

EDIT - Found this on GI in 300WM...
https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...es/kimber-8400-subalpine.cfm?gun_id=101952651
I would love a 375 lol. I'm in the middle of a 9.3x62 build so that Robbing some cash. I like the kimbers, I would really like a 7-08 but may have to settle on a 6.5cm of 308 which I'd really have to think what I'd go with. As for 3006 I like them but I swear I am cursed, only 2 deer I ever lost was with a 06 and one was a 200+ inch Alabama monster, wasn't the 06 flat tho.

I may have to build what I want but finding a ss crf action is hard to.I picked up a pre 64 2 years ago I've been thinking of making a nice rifle out of. 280ai, 24" light sendero carbon barrel, lighter glass of carbon fiber stock.

I have a Rem XCR II in 375 Weatherby Mag. Definitely not CRF, but the TriNyte finish is more weather proof then even CeraKote. Had issues out of the box, Kevin Weaver welded on the bolt handle, rechambered it to 375 Weatherby and installed a Sako extractor. Very weather resistant. If I go back to Alaska for bear, I'll bring the CZ 550 in 500 Jeffery, will have Kevin restock it in synthetic but leave the metal blued. I can have it re-blued when I get back.

I wouldn't overlook the Savage. Push fed but the bolt locks. Can be had in stainless or blue. Can be had in standard synthetic or aluminum supported. I use a blued rifle for my rain gun. As long as you don't keep it in the case all wet, you have a little time to play with. If you are gone more than a day or so, you are best to toss a old oiled sock in a ziplock bag even if you had stainless. If mine gets wet, I wait until after the season to take the stock off and wipe the bottom of the barrel.

Of the cartridges you mention, the 7mm rem mag is the one you want. A meat mangler for sure; but if you hit them in the shoulder, they will go down violently. A 308 in the shoulder only drops them 50% of the time. I wouldn't want to shoot a deer and maybe it runs off 100+ yards. Not a fan of doing body searches, particularly at night in the pouring rain.

Shameless plug, but I do have a Savage Storm 338 win mag on gunbroker. :LOL:

Hello TroyF,

I have lived in coastal Alaska 40 years now.
(How did my bubbling youthfulness get away from me so quickly) ?
At any rate, this part of the world might be the best test for anti-rust ideas pertaining to firearms.

Anyway, around here we say:
“If you don’t like the weather, wait 5 minutes”.
Well, that’s for coastal Alaska anyway and somewhat for Alaska in general.

However, if visiting Kodiak, Afognak and some of the numerous other semi-remote, and truly remote islands here, (especially the Aleutian Islands), you are likely to hear a crusty old local say:
“If you don’t like the weather, wait a minute”.

Therefore, rusted firearms are somewhat common here and other places mentioned, as are various sundry ways to prevent rust.
Yours truly prefers common Vaseline.
I have also used spray paint on the exterior metal works of a rifle.
However for the moving parts, I have always used and still use Vaseline.

When rigging my firearm for a winter hunt (snowshoe hare, ptarmigan, caribou, predators and such), I only leave the thinnest possible film of Vaseline (AKA: “miracle gun and fishing reel grease”) upon the moving parts.
Here in Alaska, Canada and Northern Europe - Scandinavia, etc., firing pins can become frozen quite solid in place.

Well anywhooo, even stainless steel guns can rust, especially as WAB has mentioned, in a sea water environment.
Having said that and bearing in mind that, I definitely prefer blue steel and walnut guns.
Nonetheless, I have always had a secret desire to own a CRF Winchester Model 70, Stainless / Plastic, in .375 H&H caliber.

Sadly, Winchester has not made this rifle in .375 H&H for quite a long time.
Those who own them here are unfortunately, holding onto them.

I know your rifle wish is for a smaller caliber.
And so, it seems to me (in my demented fog) that, you hopefully should be able to find a CRF Winchester Model 70, stainless steel & plastic, in a “New York deer” appropriate caliber.

Best of Luck,
Velo Dog.

Last edited:
I would love a 375 lol. I'm in the middle of a 9.3x62 build so that Robbing some cash. I like the kimbers, I would really like a 7-08 but may have to settle on a 6.5cm of 308 which I'd really have to think what I'd go with. As for 3006 I like them but I swear I am cursed, only 2 deer I ever lost was with a 06 and one was a 200+ inch Alabama monster, wasn't the 06 flat tho.

I may have to build what I want but finding a ss crf action is hard to.I picked up a pre 64 2 years ago I've been thinking of making a nice rifle out of. 280ai, 24" light sendero carbon barrel, lighter glass of carbon fiber stock.
I like your idea of building a rifle, but unless you have a friend working at a gun machine shop...you are not gonna find a new stainless action (CRF or any other for that matter) for less than $1K. Even a used one is north of $800 and that's before you add a barrel!

If you plan on a build and want to save a few bucks it will take time...maybe a lot of it just to come by the parts at a bargain price. And I get that, it's a good plan. Maybe an AH member can help you out and get you started.

Or you could have one of the six available Kimber 308WIN stainless/synthetic rifles from GB for less than your $1K limit...delivered to your house by the end of the week. And if you want a little DIY project you can glass bed the action yourself and get some bonding time in with your rifle. The choice is yours.

EDIT - I'm with @curtism1234 on the calibers you mentioned. 7mmRM being the best choice for your now and possible future needs. Better yet a 300WM, but now I'm just talking crazy.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but having lived and hunted in NY, I would never take a 7mm RM or a 300 RM. I also don't take shoulder shots. A 308, or any comparable cartridge, will drop a deer dead, often in its tracks, with a properly placed, properly constructed bullet. It is what I have used more than anything else, and I don't have to go looking for my deer.

Is there an intended use here that I am not aware of?

What range do you typically shoot your deer? where on the deer?

The name of this website could be a hint...;) Hunting deer in Upstate NY (BTW - I spent the first 20 years of my life in the Utica area) is not the issue. However a monster Kudu at 100 yards (and the associated trophy fee) is another story.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but having lived and hunted in NY, I would never take a 7mm RM or a 300 RM. I also don't take shoulder shots. A 308, or any comparable cartridge, will drop a deer dead, often in its tracks, with a properly placed, properly constructed bullet. It is what I have used more than anything else, and I don't have to go looking for my deer.

What range do you typically shoot your deer? where on the deer?
Depending on where I hunt but 300-400 yard shoots are common, I hunt farms along the field edges so 100-200 yard shot are average. Do get into the thick stuff my new 9.3 would get good use there. I like to shoulder shoot, it messes up some meat but don't like deer running far.

Checks all your boxes but cartridge chambering.

I like your idea of building a rifle, but unless you have a friend working at a gun machine shop...you are not gonna find a new stainless action (CRF or any other for that matter) for less than $1K. Even a used one is north of $800 and that's before you add a barrel!

If you plan on a build and want to save a few bucks it will take time...maybe a lot of it just to come by the parts at a bargain price. And I get that, it's a good plan. Maybe an AH member can help you out and get you started.

Or you could have one of the six available Kimber 308WIN stainless/synthetic rifles from GB for less than your $1K limit...delivered to your house by the end of the week. And if you want a little DIY project you can glass bed the action yourself and get some bonding time in with your rifle. The choice is yours.

EDIT - I'm with @curtism1234 on the calibers you mentioned. 7mmRM being the best choice for your now and possible future needs. Better yet a 300WM, but now I'm just talking crazy.
I don't like the 300wm lol, really like the 7 tho. Ya I know finding a ss crf action cheap is impossible. I do know where I can get a pre 64 m70 action with 3006 bolt for $400

I think I'd be happy with a factory kimber, like I said I'd have to think between the 6.5 and 308.

F
Checks all your boxes but cartridge chambering.

Figures when I don't have the money lol

Setting aside the caliber issue for a minute - though I too don’t see the real need for a .300 or 7 RM for whitetail - I am going to make a suggestion well outside your stated price range.

I went through a long period where I regularly had projects going or trades working that ate up several hundred here or a thousand there. I often looked with envy at rifles or shotguns that friends had. One of them finally offered me a bit of stunning wisdom. "Good guns are like deer hunting - if you want to kill big bucks, don't shoot small ones. If you want a good gun, don't buy a cheap one." Since then, my acquisitions have sometimes been very far apart, but I have always purchased quality firearms.

It strikes me that an ideal rifle for your environment would be a Blaser R8 with the professional stock. They are essentially indestructible. The design, with trigger under the magazine, creates a compact rifle with the virtues of a contender or No.1, but with a magazine. A great attribute east of the Mississippi. A new one in a North American / Plains Game caliber will run around $4600. I am the first to admit that is a meaningful amount of money for anyone. However, it was eye-opening for me back in the day, when I totaled what I had "invested" in guns over a 5-year period. It caused me to start a "good gun" fund.

When you are ready to go kill that buffalo, you simply add a .375 barrel.

Setting aside the caliber issue for a minute - though I too don’t see the real need for a .300 or 7 RM for whitetail - I am going to make a suggestion well outside your stated price range.

I went through a long period where I regularly had projects going or trades working that ate up several hundred here or a thousand there. I often looked with envy at rifles or shotguns that friends had. One of them finally offered me a bit of stunning wisdom. "Good guns are like deer hunting - if you want to kill big bucks, don't shoot small ones. If you want a good gun, don't buy a cheap one." Since then, my acquisitions have sometimes been very far apart, but I have always purchased quality firearms.

It strikes me that an ideal rifle for your environment would be a Blaser R8 with the professional stock. They are essentially indestructible. The design, with trigger under the magazine, creates a compact rifle with the virtues of a contender or No.1, but with a magazine. A great attribute east of the Mississippi. A new one in a North American / Plains Game caliber will run around $4600. I am the first to admit that is a meaningful amount of money for anyone. However, it was eye-opening for me back in the day, when I totaled what I had "invested" in guns over a 5-year period. It caused me to start a "good gun" fund.

When you are ready to go kill that buffalo, you simply add a .375 barrel.
Tho I like the r8 and switch barrels would be cool, think id take a good look at the Sauer as well. There's just something about a crf mauser style action, gives you a warm felling that is unexplainable. If I could swing the money I'd build a nice custom mauser from the new actions available but I make very little money.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JacobI313

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!