Back skins into bar stools

D-Orcutt

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Going on my first African hunt this may, looking into having some back skins from plains game made into the back rest of bar stools anyone have anything like this done and have ideas or pictures to go off of or advice.

No advice but have fun.
Sounds like a good use of the skins and another memento that you can actually use.

We did dinning room chairs with zebra seats from back halfs of my wife's zebra.
20211018_052653.jpg

How many chairs did you get out of a back skin?
We got 4 with enough left over to do 1 more. But I made sure in Africa they didn't cut the cape on the Zebra back at the belly button. I made the cuts about 6 inches behind the shoulders

Last edited:
Going on my first African hunt this may, looking into having some back skins from plains game made into the back rest of bar stools anyone have anything like this done and have ideas or pictures to go off of or advice.
used a bunch of leftover backskins for seat covers at a fam farm. just have 'em dry tanned (not wet-tanned for taxidermy) and staple/tack at-will just like you'd do w/ leather. In many cases, you don't even have to remove the original (typ. thin factory pleather) coverings. As many of the skins will be thicker than typ American-Euro game, you may wish to consider using a pneumatic stapler (like a roof stapler) and save your hands!!!

Don't do it with Kudu or Bushbuck. The hair is fragile and prone to slippage. Wildebeest and Zebra will work.

@C.W. Richter I wasn't sure the terms (wet vs dry) but know between my 2 Cape buffalo hides one was very soft (for luggage, furniture, etc.) while the other one was stiffer (the tanning company did the wrong procedure - I was told it couldn't be 'undone').

@C.W. Richter I wasn't sure the terms (wet vs dry) but know between my 2 Cape buffalo hides one was very soft (for luggage, furniture, etc.) while the other one was stiffer (the tanning company did the wrong procedure - I was told it couldn't be 'undone').

In theory it can be finished out to be a soft, dry cape. There is a percentage of risk that it doesn't work but it wouldn't ruin it. If it doesn't work, it should be no worse than what you currently have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaI60135

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!