Back skins into bar stools

D-Orcutt

AH veteran
Joined
Sep 15, 2021
Messages
189
Reaction score
262
Media
17
Hunting reports
Africa
1
Europe
1
Going on my first African hunt this may, looking into having some back skins from plains game made into the back rest of bar stools anyone have anything like this done and have ideas or pictures to go off of or advice.
 
No advice but have fun.
Sounds like a good use of the skins and another memento that you can actually use.
 
We did dinning room chairs with zebra seats from back halfs of my wife's zebra.
20211018_052653.jpg
 
How many chairs did you get out of a back skin?
We got 4 with enough left over to do 1 more. But I made sure in Africa they didn't cut the cape on the Zebra back at the belly button. I made the cuts about 6 inches behind the shoulders
 
Last edited:
Going on my first African hunt this may, looking into having some back skins from plains game made into the back rest of bar stools anyone have anything like this done and have ideas or pictures to go off of or advice.
used a bunch of leftover backskins for seat covers at a fam farm. just have 'em dry tanned (not wet-tanned for taxidermy) and staple/tack at-will just like you'd do w/ leather. In many cases, you don't even have to remove the original (typ. thin factory pleather) coverings. As many of the skins will be thicker than typ American-Euro game, you may wish to consider using a pneumatic stapler (like a roof stapler) and save your hands!!!
 
Going on my first African hunt this may, looking into having some back skins from plains game made into the back rest of bar stools anyone have anything like this done and have ideas or pictures to go off of or advice.


Don't do it with Kudu or Bushbuck. The hair is fragile and prone to slippage. Wildebeest and Zebra will work.
 
@C.W. Richter I wasn't sure the terms (wet vs dry) but know between my 2 Cape buffalo hides one was very soft (for luggage, furniture, etc.) while the other one was stiffer (the tanning company did the wrong procedure - I was told it couldn't be 'undone').
 
@C.W. Richter I wasn't sure the terms (wet vs dry) but know between my 2 Cape buffalo hides one was very soft (for luggage, furniture, etc.) while the other one was stiffer (the tanning company did the wrong procedure - I was told it couldn't be 'undone').

In theory it can be finished out to be a soft, dry cape. There is a percentage of risk that it doesn't work but it wouldn't ruin it. If it doesn't work, it should be no worse than what you currently have.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,330
Messages
1,573,184
Members
169,721
Latest member
descselfgare1983
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top