Australia, hunting, game variety

Native game species or not it's still the greatest country on the planet ;)

I've been gradually working to complete I consider the full list of Aussie rifle-hunted species, there's 19 in all. I've got hog deer and banteng to go. Yes, the hardest two to access and the most expensive as a result...
I'll raise you a Canada! Having said that though Aussies are great folks... kind of southern Canadians...

Wow, there's plenty of half empty glasses around here amongst the Aussie crowd.

On the contrary my glass is half full.

I have unlimited access to the best and biggest herd of legally hunted Sambar deer in the World. No expensive tags, no season and few limitations.

In my past I have been blessed to have hunted Banteng, Buffalo, wild Ox, boar, goat, six species of deer, feral horses and donkeys, rabbits, cats dogs, quail, geese and ducks, and for less than the cost of a moose tag I can hop on a plane to N.Z and roam the mountains for Chamois and Tahr at minimal cost.
Not a bad deal if you ask me.

If you think they have it better in the U.S then inform yourself about the realities that marginalises non-residents of any State, requires the purchase of expensive tags IF and WHEN you are successful in the "draw" and limits you to a set season which in some cases lasts but a few weeks with a limit to a specific area and tag description (Doe or buck) accorded to your lucky draw.
Learn about the reality of how long it can take to draw a specific tag in certain States before you are allowed to hunt.
I'm certainly not denigrated the U.S system of game and hunting regulations, simply pointing out that we as Aussies have opportunities that for those that are dedicated and motivated are very liberal.

It is only limited to your effort and how hard you want to achieve.

The best hunters I know spend countless hours visiting areas, knocking on doors, scouting public access areas and then hunt hard and kill their game.

I know Sambar hunters who put in incredible amounts of time back-packing into extremely remote and harsh country living like dogs off meagre rations in freezing and dangerous conditions to scout and locate potential animals (I am one of those suckers).
I don't hear many of them complaining about hunting opportunities in Aus.

Our "game" may not in fact be native, but that may be one of our greatest advantages.
You're talking about your own personal experience of access to private land and public access as a Victorian.

I'm not complaining about my own access as I'm a Victorian, but I like to look at things from a perspective a bit further than my own.

Millions of acres of public land in vic high country aren't much help to a Qld, NT or WA bloke without any private access in his home state or money to travel or for a guide is what I'm getting at. That's what the privileged amongst us often fail to see. In the US within your own state it's pretty affordable and the resource seems less abused.

The non native aspect may be a benefit, to some who like to be able to treat the resource with apathy it's the reason why the absolute vast majority of dead deer I've found look like a version of this. I think a deer's life is worth a bit more than that personally.

So you end up with half the potential hunters in Australia having bugger all places to go and many of those that do happy to drop 5 stags in a trip just to lop the head off and leave the rest to rot - legally. I don't look at that as the greatest system going around.
20190610_075636.jpeg

Yeah unfortunately I simply don't have the time available to pursue public land hoggies. Given the hours of travel and scouting required....I find it hard enough to find time for a sambar hunt every two years. I'll just keep donating to the ballot and hoping for a start...one day I might buy a guided opportunity.

Chital and Rusa I've no problem paying for quality guided hunts (and have done so) as I can't exactly scout for private access at the other end of the country. In fact in a fortnight I fly back to QLD for the rusa rut. There are both species local to me but are only really escapee targets of opportunity.

I agree with Paul, I think we have it pretty good here really, and I've been fortunate to have done most of the list self guided ;)
Trade out a sambar hunt for a hoggie hunt one year. We're constantly packing into new sambar country most times we go up the high country i.e. the unknown, doing that for hoggies is no different.

Trade out a sambar hunt for a hoggie hunt one year. We're constantly packing into new sambar country most times we go up the high country i.e. the unknown, doing that for hoggies is no different.

It'd be a great adventure for sure. But ive gotta be honest, the miniscule chance of success (or even seeing a deer) is not an overly appealing way to spend my limited time away from my work, family and business. It's not that I'm afraid of hunting hard, far from it...just I have to use the small amount of spare time I have as productively as I can.

It might sound strange, but I'm kinda at the stage in my life where it's easier to find money than time, not that I'm wealthy at all...if that makes any sense o_O

You're talking about your own personal experience of access to private land and public access as a Victorian.

I'm not complaining about my own access as I'm a Victorian, but I like to look at things from a perspective a bit further than my own.

Millions of acres of public land in vic high country aren't much help to a Qld, NT or WA bloke without any private access in his home state or money to travel or for a guide is what I'm getting at. That's what the privileged amongst us often fail to see. In the US within your own state it's pretty affordable and the resource seems less abused.

The non native aspect may be a benefit, to some who like to be able to treat the resource with apathy it's the reason why the absolute vast majority of dead deer I've found look like a version of this. I think a deer's life is worth a bit more than that personally.

So you end up with half the potential hunters in Australia having bugger all places to go and many of those that do happy to drop 5 stags in a trip just to lop the head off and leave the rest to rot - legally. I don't look at that as the greatest system going around.
View attachment 288933

Really ?

So why do hunters who live in QLD, S.A and N.T and who cannot afford the travel expenses to access the millions of acres of free hunting areas in Victoria put their hands in their pockets to the tune of $70 - $80 and join one of their State Hunting/shooting organisations such as ADA, SSAA, and others and then a further $100 - $150 to sit and accreditation course (the combined total of which is less than half the cost of a hunting licence alone in some States of the U.S, not accounting for tags etc) and then have access to the hundreds of thousands of acres that the hunting/shooting/management programs run by these clubs provide to members who get of their ass and seek opportunity as opposed to waiting for it to be served up to them.

S.A hunters have access to the Farmers Assist program accessible via SSAA membership and accreditation.
QLD hunters have access tp the CWM program and that one alone provides access to over 1.7 million acres in Nth QLD to accredited shooters who are members FREE OF CHARGE.
In the N.T their are similar programs and numerous public land access areas for hunting pigs buffalo and geese/ducks to members of various organisations.

Again, the opportunities for hunters are out their but unfortunately not many of those opportunities are available for those so inclined to be apathetic in getting involved.

This is interesting subject, but for non-Australian is hard to follow. To me it is interesting as potential hunting destination.
So, can you guys, make the list of:
1. All huntable species (introduced and native)
2. List of huntable species per states and terrtiories.
3. What are the species most usually hunted by non-residents, visitors, etc..

Mark.

In the Northern Territory there are Banteng, buffalo, wild bulls, boars, horses, donkeys, Sambar deer, Rusa deer, Chital deer, Camels and other exotics.
There is also a Geese and Waterfowl season.
Apart from the Sambar deer, the other deer are only available on one or two private game ranch enclosures.
The rest of the "game" are available via outfitters operating in various parts of the State/Territory. Note there is and can be a huge separation in physical distance between some of these species.

In Queensland there are wild bulls (feral cattle) feral hogs, goats, Chital deer, Rusa deer, Red deer, Fallow deer and wild dogs.
Most if not all of these species are available via outfitters either free range or game ranch.
There is also small game such as rabbits, foxes, hares and feral cats.

In N.S.W there are Red deer, Fallow deer, Chital deer, Rusa and Sambar deer.
As well as hogs, goats and small varmints such as foxes, rabbits, hares and feral cats etc.
There are outfitters offering Red, Fallow, hogs and goats.

In Victoria we have Sambar deer, fallow, Red deer, Hog deer pigs, goats, foxes, rabbits and hares.
There are outfitters offering hunts for Sambar and fallow and some small game hunting.
Note we have restrictions (seasons and licencing) on Sambar, Hog deer, fallow and Red deer in Victoria.

In S.A there is a prominent, and large, game ranch offering most of the deer species via an outfitted hunt.
There is also limited free range hunting for fallow and Red deer and small game.

Note to the best of my knowledge game ranch hunting/offering is illegal except for QLD. N.T and S.A.

Note there are legal requirements specific to ALL States and Territories regarding the hunting of ANYTHING and it is most restrictive for non-resident aliens specifically so those intending to bring in firearms from overseas.

Before engaging ANY outfitter in ANY State of Australia ensure and request formal proof of their Corporate licence (business licence for the commercial use of firearms).

This is a very brief and generic outline.

Should you have more questions feel free to contact me.

Paul.

Really ?

So why do hunters who live in QLD, S.A and N.T and who cannot afford the travel expenses to access the millions of acres of free hunting areas in Victoria put their hands in their pockets to the tune of $70 - $80 and join one of their State Hunting/shooting organisations such as ADA, SSAA, and others and then a further $100 - $150 to sit and accreditation course (the combined total of which is less than half the cost of a hunting licence alone in some States of the U.S, not accounting for tags etc) and then have access to the hundreds of thousands of acres that the hunting/shooting/management programs run by these clubs provide to members who get of their ass and seek opportunity as opposed to waiting for it to be served up to them.

S.A hunters have access to the Farmers Assist program accessible via SSAA membership and accreditation.
QLD hunters have access tp the CWM program and that one alone provides access to over 1.7 million acres in Nth QLD to accredited shooters who are members FREE OF CHARGE.
In the N.T their are similar programs and numerous public land access areas for hunting pigs buffalo and geese/ducks to members of various organisations.

Again, the opportunities for hunters are out their but unfortunately not many of those opportunities are available for those so inclined to be apathetic in getting involved.
First of all, I stand corrected regarding NT completely slipped my mind that they got the public land access recently.

As to the rest, I could go on about the guys I know who've signed up up to some of these farmer assistance programs that has amounted to essentially nothing, and as to some of the ada working bee for hunting schemes I won't even waste my time talking about it.

But if to you these piteous opportunities that some must worm and squirm to gain a mere semblance of access is genuine fairness and equity amongst Australians not only are we not on the same page we're in different libraries.

To some, a couple of states that enable easy access with the ability to kill to the hearts content might equate to a great opportunity country, but not to me. As long as we have entire species and entire states that are inaccessible to either locals or interstate diy hunters (never mind internationals) there is no way in hell I'd consider Australia the greatest hunting system around.

Sorry fellas, but I hate to hear you Aussies squabble. It sounds like different "States / Territories" offer animals that may or may not be available elsewhere. Along with that, local residents may have more or better opportunities to hunt said animals than non-residents. Better hunting is to be had if using an Outfitter or hunting on Private land. That whole system sounds pretty normal to me. In the States we are limited to hunting seasons, not year around. State and or public lands are crawling with hunters all trying to bag a deer in a
short timeframe. Lottery hunts, the need to accumulate points and large out of state license fees are a fact of life. In short, life isn't perfect anywhere. BTW I consider my glass half full.

BTW I consider my glass half full.
I agree Shootist43 with the exception that at our ages I think our glasses should be approaching 3/4 full:ROFLMAO::eek::rolleyes:!

First of all, I stand corrected regarding NT completely slipped my mind that they got the public land access recently.

As to the rest, I could go on about the guys I know who've signed up up to some of these farmer assistance programs that has amounted to essentially nothing, and as to some of the ada working bee for hunting schemes I won't even waste my time talking about it.

But if to you these piteous opportunities that some must worm and squirm to gain a mere semblance of access is genuine fairness and equity amongst Australians not only are we not on the same page we're in different libraries.

To some, a couple of states that enable easy access with the ability to kill to the hearts content might equate to a great opportunity country, but not to me. As long as we have entire species and entire states that are inaccessible to either locals or interstate diy hunters (never mind internationals) there is no way in hell I'd consider Australia the greatest hunting system around.

Heard the same about the 'farmer assist' type programs, but no first-hand experience. However I'll have to pull you up on the ADA bashing....I'm very actively involved in the SE/SA Branch and we have amazing hunting opportunities for our 400+ members....in fact most of the time we are struggling to get them to shoot MORE deer. And Nationally, no other organization (along with F&G) does more for ALL hunters rights...such as increasing access to public sambar country and Snake Island hoggies just as a start.

Cheers
Tim

Heard the same about the 'farmer assist' type programs, but no first-hand experience. However I'll have to pull you up on the ADA bashing....I'm very actively involved in the SE/SA Branch and we have amazing hunting opportunities for our 400+ members....in fact most of the time we are struggling to get them to shoot MORE deer. And Nationally, no other organization (along with F&G) does more for ALL hunters rights...such as increasing access to public sambar country and Snake Island hoggies just as a start.

Cheers
Tim
That's not bashing the ADA and I wouldn't do so publically though I have my opinions of them from personal experience and the experiences of respected people I know.

I was talking to a bloke about his sambar hunting experience. To me, it sounds like to be a successful deer hunter you need to get-up early, work hard, and hike further than most are prepared to do.

I can’t begin to describe the hard work and challenges involved in living a life where the buffalo are.

Unless you’re a poacher, well-connected or rich, following your dreams is hard work.

I think Australia is a wonderful country to be a hunter.

Native game species or not it's still the greatest country on the planet ;)

I've been gradually working to complete I consider the full list of Aussie rifle-hunted species, there's 19 in all. I've got hog deer and banteng to go. Yes, the hardest two to access and the most expensive as a result...
Blacks I haven't heard of the list of 19 Aussie game animals. I am keen to implement a challenge like this to our Hunting Club. Could you please list these individually.
I think I will be 3 short of the list- still needing sambar, banteng and camel.

As an Aussie, I think we are the luckiest country in the world- and that applies also to our Hunting opportunities. I have been fortunate to host in our country, European, North American and African hunters. They have all been blown away by our variety of game animals from the humble rabbit up to the water buffalo. Our endless number of ferals with open seasons and no limits means plenty of action. Our 6 species of deer are very challenging. We have some of the most diverse hunting landscapes from deserts to mountain ranges with everything in between.
When my Swedish friends visited they asked me to take them rabbit hunting. We shot over 200 rabbits in a weekend walking around bracken fern and blackberry choked creek flats with shotguns. For them a good days hunting in Sweden would yield 1 or 2 hares.

The glass is overflowing....

Blacks I haven't heard of the list of 19 Aussie game animals. I am keen to implement a challenge like this to our Hunting Club. Could you please list these individually.
I think I will be 3 short of the list- still needing sambar, banteng and camel.

There's no official list to my knowledge, but these are the rifle hunted species as far as I'm concerned...a mature male, free range of each species.

Rabbit
Hare
Fox
Cat
Dingo/wild dog
Goat
Pig (boar)
Donkey
Brumby
Camel
Buffalo
Scrub bull
Banteng
Hog deer
Fallow
Chital
Rusa
Red
Sambar

For me, I just have hoggie and banteng to go...of course probably the two hardest to access.

I was just reading that there is a "ballot" about to come out for Hog Deer for next year.
Is that a lottery system?

I was just reading that there is a "ballot" about to come out for Hog Deer for next year.
Is that a lottery system?

yep, its a ballot that anyone can enter.

there isnt huge numbers enter each year, no more than 1500 odd.

if you draw snake island, early sessions your in with a chance, but if you draw boole poole or blond bay its not worth the time off work, they are gone from there now, poached out, and pressure from the sambar have pushed them away. snake island was productive this year in the ballot, but you need to be early in the piece or they go nocturnal with pressure

Blacks, I am only missing a Camel from your list.

I'm not really a "slam" chaser but ironically have a Camel hunt planned in the near future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg