Assuming you don't reload, what's the best caliber to go with on a double rifle today?

So I'm trying to piece these all together and where they stack up against each other. In terms of price and I'm assuming corresponding build quality, does it go something like this?

Baikal ($1000?)
Sabattis (under $10,000)
Rizinni (under $10,000)
Chapuis ($10,000-$15,000?)
VC $($10,000-$15,000?)
Merkel ($10,000-$15,000?)
Krieghoffs ($15,000-$20,000?)
Heym ($20,000+)

I'll save you some time. If we're talking about general safety and reliability, your floor is:

Chapuis
VC
Merkel
Krieghoff
Heym
***And reworked Sabattis certified by Ken Owen (but at that point, you've spent enough to buy better)

Of all of those, I'd say just search longer and look harder for a Heym. Find a deal on an older one, maybe in a caliber that isn't your top pick. (e.g. you wanted a 470, you found a 500) You can find a nice, basic Heym for $13,000-$16,500 if you set your mind to it over a six month period and you pounce INSTANTLY when one is found.

So I'm trying to piece these all together and where they stack up against each other. In terms of price and I'm assuming corresponding build quality, does it go something like this?

Baikal ($1000?)
Sabattis (under $10,000)
Rizinni (under $10,000)
Chapuis ($10,000-$15,000?)
VC $($10,000-$15,000?)
Merkel ($10,000-$15,000?)
Krieghoffs ($15,000-$20,000?)
Heym ($20,000+)

The Rizinnis are the worst finished doubles I’ve seen in my life. Very thin joint at the muzzle, so prone to shoot loose, plastic sights, terrible wood to metal inletting etc etc.

I know of to many VCs that have been unreliable, notoriously so the O/Us as well as Merkels giving problems. An acquaintance could not load for his .500 NE Merkel as the chambers were not round - their warranty did not cover any of it.

Buy a Heym, or a well looked after British Boxlock from between the wars.

I'll save you some time. If we're talking about general safety and reliability, your floor is:

Chapuis
VC
Merkel
Krieghoff
Heym
***And reworked Sabattis certified by Ken Owen (but at that point, you've spent enough to buy better)
What’s your opinion on the Blaser S2? Close to the same level as the Heym and Krieghoff?

What’s your opinion on the Blaser S2? Close to the same level as the Heym and Krieghoff?
I have one of each, a Blaser S2, Krieghoff Classic, and Heym 88B. I will share my opinions of each from a functional point of view...

They are all well made German rifles. I like them all but like children, they are all unique in their own ways. How did Tolstoy describe unhappy families?

The Heym is the best. It handles swiftly with low movement of inertia. It is also accurate enough with a Trijicon 1 MOA SRO reflex that if I do my part, of should I say "we" can put two shot from each barrel in four inches at 100 yards. At least we've done that often. Now, my old girl is chambered in .458 Winchester and has dual pawls in each extractor to ensure positive ejection or extraction. Yes, ejection or extraction is possible using the little switch in the forend to turn off (block?) the ejectors.

As far as finding a load that my Heym 458 Win is regulated to, that was fairly easy. I started with 500 grain bullets and worked my way from 2100 to almost 2200 fps, settling on 2140 fps with Cutting Edge Bullets 500 gr solids and 470 gr expanding Safari Raptors. It also shoots other bullets very well with a little adjustment of velocity. I tired 450 gr Barnes TSX and found they also regulate at 2140 fps.

I discussed the difference of Heym 88's to my then (later sold) Merkel 140's with the Heym USA representative Chris Sells. He told me of the five different action sizes that Heym uses for their double rifles to ensure proper handling. He said that Merkel has only three action sizes. I've owned two Merkels. Neither handled anywhere nearly as graceful as the Heym. Chris also told me of the care that Heym uses in building and regulating each rifle. Toward those claims, I have no doubts.

The Krieghoff in 500/416 is a work of engineering art inside the action. My Krieghoff is however more than a half pound heavier then my Heym and I think it is not as graceful as my Heym. Maybe in 470 a K-gun might be the equal in handling as my Heym? But then, a Heym in a .416 bore would probably handle better than a K-gun. Or so I think.

The Intelligent cocking system of the Krieghoff is safe, very safe. With practice it is fast to operate. Note I stated "with practice", at least for me. When hunting in Zimbabwe in late October and the PH advises me to let a tracker carry my rifle, I would hand them a loaded but un-cocked Krieghoff. I would never do that with my Heym loaded and on safe.

After over 200 rounds of different loads, I am still working on finding what my Krieghoff will shoot to the same level of accuracy as my Heym. The good thing about my 500/416 Krieghoff is that I've recorded many different bullet/powder/velocity combinations that consistently group around 3" at 50 yards. These group separate to more than 6" at 100 yards. This is a great reference or starting point to have it regulated for my favorite loads. Hopefully, the other loads will follow along! This German is going to take some French lessons in Oklahoma this spring...

Finally, there is my Blaser S-2 which is as ugly as it is accurate! The S-2 is a space age design compared to that of my Heym. The Heym is timeless and functions as well today as when it was built almost 40 years ago. The Blaser is function over form. The S-2 is like the Garmin super-duper GPS capable fitness watch on my wrist compared to your Rolex! I have never looked inside the action of my Blaser since it looks so complicated on the outside that I'd he afraid to remove the stock!

My S-2 is an extractor gun chambered in 375 H&H. I do not know if they ever made an S-2 with ejectors. The barrel hood (extension) does restrict access with removing fired cases from the extractors. This is clearly an action that would unload easier with traditional rimmed cartridge cases.

Aside from restricted unloading, the Blaser S-2 action is strong. I've read they cannot shoot loose. The rifle also has somewhat free floating barrels with adjustable regulation blocks/flanges under the forend and at the muzzle. These allow the shooter to regulate their own barrels. I did not need to do this for working up a load to match the gun's regulation took about two tries. It is as accurate as most bolt actions! With a little load tweaking (or if necessary barrel adjustment...) I think a two-barrel 2" 100 yard group is very probable.

Finally, the Blaser handles very smoothly. I believe that Blaser makes a lot of high end trap guns...

So, Heym, Krieghoff, and the out of production Blaser are all good solid double rifles.

The Heym is like the child who follows a traditional path and is great at everything they do! Like the child who becomes a medical doctor with the perfect family who everyone loves and admires!

The Krieghoff is like the child who became an engineer and is better with things than people. Many don't understand them if they don't take the time to get to know them. But once they do, they often rely on them. Say hello to Commander (Mr.) Spock of Star Trek or Sheldon Cooper of the Big Bang Theory. And, would we know of Steve Jobs, aka Heym, if it weren't for Steve Wozniak?

Finally there is the Blaser child with their green hair or man bun (6.5 Creedmore?) and ideas different than their parents, finds their way in the world becoming rich and/or greatly contributing to society. They are different but when we look at them, their different isn't bad, its only different and in a good way.

Finally, If they were available, I'd buy a set of 500/416 barrels for my Blaser and regulate them myself!

PSS: If I were smart I'd have one double and only one. Of the three that would be my trusty Heym in .458.

Last edited:
Finally, If they were available, I'd buy a set of 500/416 barrels for my Blaser and regulate them myself!
This last little bit says a lot. Appreciate your insight.

From memory the K gun is reulater at 70m 77yards

Thanks @IvW
This is my Krieghoff Classic's factory target.
The regulation load was: Norma PH 500/416 with 410 gr Woodleigh at 50 Meters.
The target shows a group a few hairs under 2" at 50m.
Muzzle Velocity 710 m/s or 2330 fps. That is a velocity I can live with for a 500/416.
It is also a velocity that I can load to with three or four different powders. Got to prepare for the worst of times...

Thanks to AH Sponsor @RAVEN ROCKS PRECISION , I should receive a few boxes of the above listed Norma ammo arriving today. If the winter weather isn't terrible this weekend, I want to give it a try..

I also want to shoot this ammo and my handloads to determine the accuracy of each barrel at 100 yards. Once I have that data, it will be time to send my little German friend for regulation. That is unless this Norma PH shoots small two-barrel groups!

Attachments

• 500-416 Factory Target-Cropped.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 26
Last edited:
A 500 Nitro has a higher resale Value.

Thanks @IvW
This is my Krieghoff Classic's factory target.
The regulation load was: Norma PH 500/416 with 410 gr Woodleigh at 50 Meters.
The target shows a group a few hairs under 2" at 50m.
Muzzle Velocity 710 m/s or 2330 fps. That is a velocity I can live with for a 500/416.
It is also a velocity that I can load to with three or four different powders. Got to prepare for the worst of times...

Thanks to AH Sponsor @RAVEN ROCKS PRECISION , I should receive a few boxes of the above listed Norma ammo arriving today. If the winter weather isn't terrible this weekend, I want to give it a try..

I also want to shoot this ammo and my handloads to determine the accuracy of each barrel at 100 yards. Once I have that data, it will be time to send my little German friend for regulation. That is unless this Norma PH shoots small two-barrel groups!
Perfect killing velocity with a high sd bullet.....

Yup, 10,000J is the limit so the 500NE is good (8,000J), so is the 577NE (9.500J).

The 600NE, 700NE, 460 Weatherby among others got the ban hammer.
Wouldn't worry about it, those WOKE clown idiots that are tag teaming in Ottawa wouldn't know it if they tripped over one in their backyard. They initially banned all Weatherby's because of the 460. Idiots, absolute morons, IMHO. Not the least bit sorry about the rant.:mad:

The Krieghoff isn't in the same stratosphere as the Heym, so I cannot compare the Blaser to both of them in one fell swoop.

I've handled, but never shot the S2. They look a bit odd, aesthetically. The way they work is weird, aesthetically. The way they regulate is brilliant. Red Leg is a huge fan of the Blaser, so ignoring beauty contest bias, I feel pretty comfortable about his endorsement of their function.

I've handled and shot a few Krieghoffs, seen scores of them. I don't like how they look, I don't like how they work, and my opinion is that people buy them because of the K-gun trap shooter familiarity. It's not how I'd spend my money considering how expensive they are new and how poorly they sell used if you don't like it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdolphAbne

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.