ARGENTINA: On My Way To Hunt The Red Stag Roar With Rocket!

@ROCKET would you be kind enough to PM me info on the outfit you work for!
Where are you located? Lodge? Animals available? Type hunts available....walk stalk, blind, spot from truck and then stalk.
Price list!
Thank you in advance.

Post lots of pictures and have a great time

Where are you located? Lodge? Animals available? Type hunts available....walk stalk, blind, spot from truck and then stalk.
Price list!
Thank you in advance.
Hi charly.....We have a weak cel service here in camp.....I will pass all the information as soonest I get better service on cel.....I have try several times to get the forum cel app open and works couple times a day......I gonna be hunting with bob the next six days.....We gonna do something for sure......

Hi charly.....We have a weak cel service here in camp.....I will pass all the information as soonest I get better service on cel.....I have try several times to get the forum cel app open and works couple times a day......I gonna be hunting with bob the next six days.....We gonna do something for sure......

Caliente Pollo por favor! Muy Caliente!

Congrats Bob! Best of luck.

@Royal.......I have allready some chikens on the way for Bob hahahaha......anyway He gonna eat alot of good beef......5.30 in a morning......going to the bushes in half hour.....see how this goes....

Well we're back in the Buenos Aires airport on long layover waiting for the flight to NY tonight.

Had a great time with Rocket and crew. Ate way too much, seems like Rocket and I must have walked across Argentina but that was the way I wanted it. "Chasing the Roar" is anot absolutely superb experience and I can see it could easily become addicting!

I saw lots of deer. Got in very close, shot a 9 point real old stag, busted up antlers, scarred up neck, thick heavily muscled neck, deep guttural roar, and well past his prime. I'll try to get pics posted.

I shot another, larger stag as well but alas we did not recover it. Rocket assures me he will find it after season. This is apparently common, more later...

Well we're back in the Buenos Aires airport on long layover waiting for the flight to NY tonight.

Had a great time with Rocket and crew. Ate way too much, seems like Rocket and I must have walked across Argentina but that was the way I wanted it. "Chasing the Roar" is anot absolutely superb experience and I can see it could easily become addicting!

I saw lots of deer. Got in very close, shot a 9 point real old stag, busted up antlers, scarred up neck, thick heavily muscled neck, deep guttural roar, and well past his prime. I'll try to get pics posted.

I shot another, larger stag as well but alas we did not recover it. Rocket assures me he will find it after season. This is apparently common, more later...

Congrats Bob, post pics when you can

Safe flight.
Congrats.

Congrats! Looking forward to the report! I'm heading to the LaPampa region next March to hunt stag and my dad wants to get a buff! Can't wait to hear about your trip!!!

@ActionBob asked me to put up a couple of pics that he couldn't post.

He had one hell of a hunt with @ROCKET!

IMG-20170402-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20170402-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20170402-WA0004.jpg
IMG-20170402-WA0003.jpg

He was a fighter for sure.

This is a free range hunt. It is Cattle country so there are low fences. Rocket guides for MG Hunting. They do other hunts and a small group of friends might really enjoy this. But another great group hunt/party would be the Cordova dove/pigeon hunts. As I understand, the season is always open and there are no limits.

As for the Red Deer Roar, lots of stags around. You hear them roar from the lodge. It goes on for 4 weeks, regularly 5 day hunts but I was there the 3rd week and because of flight schedules, we had a 6 day hunt.

You get up early, breakfast and get ready. Be in the bush at daybreak, or a bit before. I love that time in the woods when the grey shadows turn to yellow light and then all the colors quickly develop;) Listen to the roars, check the wind, pick out one that sounds good. A deep guttural roar some compare to a lion's roar... but having experienced both, close up... I assure you the star roar does not reverberate into your soul quite like a lions;) But it is an amazing experience when you have gotten close and your quary let's out a roar within a few short yards, yet out of sight behind the thick bushes.

Shot opportunities come and go within seconds. My second stag was in the clear, picture perfect, it was raining, Rockethe needed to evaluate him and decide if he met my desires for a second stag... he was trailing 3 females who had allready disappeared into the bush. Just as Rocket gave me the go ahead, he stepped behind a tree that blocked out all his vitals. I had experienced the same thing on the second day, this was day 5/6.

The evening before the first hunt day, the Outfitter, Marcello explained how the perfect shot oppertunty is rarely presented and we would likely need to shoot though some brush, and very likely at a walking animal. He went into more detail regarding other components.....

So back to my second stag, as he cleared the tree, he was behind thick brush but I could see him, so I took the shot. He ran but circled back, Rocket was off like, well as rocket;) and I was right behind him. I took another shot that felt ok but just not sure, we ran till I thought I would blow a lung, and got a 3rd shot that was quartering away, he reared up and moved in a S path and I had to reload, but as they rarely get more than 2 shots, and it was a rental gun, Rocket had the shells. So got 3 down and chambered a round, and got another what felt like a good shot on the shoulder in. In the recoiling scope it looked like his head dropped and lost sight of him. Rocket ran forward and was following his scent back to the left, the deer had been facing our right. He marked the spot he lost the scent on his gps. We searched but it was raining and getting dark. We were also back in the center of the hunting block and had about 1.5 to 2 kilometers to walk out through thick prickly stuff....

Price list!
Thank you in advance.
Charlie you may not hear from Rocket for a few weeks yet, there is very weak service in the area and they start another hunt tomorrow then will spend at least a week closing down camp, etc. Then he travels home to Cordova where he will get good WiFi.

You can Google and Facebook MG Hunting. The Stag area is located in LaPampa province, about 3 hours drive from Bahia Blanca. In addition to the wild red deer stags, they have very few wild boar, I believe the European variety, and many of the same exotic sheep like @gizmo has. Blackbuck is a common add on, and the Argentina type subspecies of water buffalo is also available. However they are on a neighboring Farm that is high fenced. The Blackbuck are apparently quite challenging as I suspect they are shot at a lot. Another couple went and each shot one but went through 17 bullets. The shot from the truck, running, over 300 yards. Then a couple guys from Panama went on foot and said it was a great hunt but didn't get one, however the one guy got a nice fallow deer on the walk back to the truck. That place also has water buffalo and I saw pictures of them drinking at concrete troughs. And they have raised red deer that have bigger antlers than the free range ones.

I hunted by walking and chasing the roar, we did 10 plus kilometers most days. Sometimes walking right out from the lodge and others we would drive to spots to listen and then walk from there. This method is traditional and very exciting when you get in close. It rained so hard one night we sat in the truck at the intersection of firebreaks. Has a stag come out with one antler broken off. They also have, I think 3 blinds over water. I was never in one. Even the one guy who was bow hunting did so by stalking the roar... he shot a stag at about 30 yards but did not recover it... the guides think they'll find it after the rut.

Congrats! Looking forward to the report! I'm heading to the LaPampa region next March to hunt stag and my dad wants to get a buff! Can't wait to hear about your trip!!!
Mike I think Argentina is about the cheapest buff hunt generally available. But personally I would really want to know how it will go, not that they take you into a cow Yard to shoot one. I do understand they can be great hunts. But it will likely a subspecies with smaller horns than the Australian variety.

@ActionBob well done on hunting red deer properly! The growl of a big red stag up close in the thick stuff is pretty impressive. A nice looking trophy, hope they find the other one for you.

Nice old stag you got! Congrats. If you got that many hits in on your second one I expect he is dead. Hopefully Rocket can recover him. Sounds like a great hunt. Bruce

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickolasAr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg