Anyone else like red dots on long guns..?

“Hello. My name is Scumbag and I am addicted to red dots.” :)

I only have one. .550 Magnum with AHR/Wayne’s mount and Leupold. I have other addictions, but have not succumbed to the red dot yet. I like them, but can quit at any time. :)

I like the Aimpoint system.....

After playing around with a couple of red dots on my CZ 550 458 lot I have settled on is Trijicon SRO 1 MOA mounted on AHR QD mount. I also have a Leupold VX6 Patrol 1-6 FireDot in Talley QD rings for it. All depends on game and terrain as to how I set up for the hunt. Both I have switched back and forth at range and keep zero at 80 yards which I keep it set up at.

PH Wayne van den Bergh uses one on his rifle. I believe it’s a 458 Lott

This is a very interesting post with lots to consider. Thanks for showing us all your cool red dots!

Interesting subject. A while back I built a "Retro Scout rifle" on a Remington 660 carbine. I installed a Ruger quarter rib on the barrel and used Ruger rings to mount the Scout scope. Problem was eye relief was less than ideal and the scope over hung the ejection port. After some careful measurments I obtained a Aimpoint 9000SC. 30mm tube, unlimited eye relief, parallax free, 2MOA dot and 5 year battery life. The optic is now ahead of the ejection port and target acquisition is super fast. 10 inch plates out to 300 yards are hit with boring regularity. I think I've found my ideal optic for this rifle.
That sounds like a good solution to the problem. Nice and quick handing, too.

Big fan of red dot sights. I put one on my 375 H&H double and it can drive tacks. I've used in in Africa on 4 safaris on everything from buffalo to wart hog. I liked it so much I put one on my Beretta 9mm pistol. I'm sold on them. Makes shooting so much faster and instinctive. I also have red dot reticles on all the scopes on my bolt rifles.
Sounds excellent. Flanged double or otherwise?

I have never used a red dot. I have a number of scopes that are true 1x with illuminated dots. What is the advantage of the red dot over these scopes?

I don’t have one yet but I am strongly looking to put one on my old Ruger 44 Carbine. I think Luepold makes a 1moa dot that is small and compact. The 44 is a great thick brush carry rifle, nice and short and light to carry. I think a speed bead or red dot would be awesome in tight spots.
My lever action is a 44 mag and I think one in QD mounts would be great on your Ruger!

I have never used a red dot. I have a number of scopes that are true 1x with illuminated dots. What is the advantage of the red dot over these scopes?
More compact, lighter and a more forgiving eye box.

I have a 1-6 Meopta on my 404 Jeff and it's pretty quick but it isn't as quick as 9.3 with the Leica red dot.

So far, I was biased against red dots. I think because I read on internet that they have too much parallax.
So, I said to myself repeatedly, no I dont need that. Because everybody on internet says they have too much parallax, and not too much of magnification.

But things change.

I bought SF19 (new version of popular XDM pistol), optics ready model, and installed red dot, vortex venom.
When tried, I improved accuracy with that pistol. Surprise, surprise!
So, thats how I started changing my opinion on red dots. Suddenly, I dont care about parallax.

So, I am now in process of transition thinking for red dots on my long guns.
I have plan. This is the plan.

To install Red dot on AR15, 223 - now using tactical scope, so to install RD for rapid fire matches (will have to work out which model of RD to take, I am open to suggestion)

Red dot on Benelli argo 9.3 semi auto for driven boar hunts. (now using wide angle scope) I am open for suggestions which RD to take.
I have several Burris fastfires as they are excellent value in my opinion. The Leica red dot is excellent on my 9.3x62 bolt gun. For the AR I can't really help. I hear good things about the Vortex Venom as another choice. Try and get one you can change the battery without dismounting the optic.

“Hello. My name is Scumbag and I am addicted to red dots.” :)

I only have one. .550 Magnum with AHR/Wayne’s mount and Leupold. I have other addictions, but have not succumbed to the red dot yet. I like them, but can quit at any time. :)
You tell yourself that, cupcake ;)

(Note there's an "R" in my handle..."

After mounting a Trijicon red dot on my AR-15, I liked the concept.

Next mounted a Trijicon RMR, on a double 450/400. A game changer. Went from 6 inch groups at 50 yards, iron sights, to easy 2 inch groups.

I see another in my future on my SXS 12 gauge.
My eyes are not getting younger.
That sounds like progress!

I like the idea on a side by side as sort of a buck and slug gun..?

I've had two bad experiences with reflex (red dot sights), both were from Vortex and I should have know better. One on my Benelli SBE2 failed on a turkey hunt, the other (identical model) failed on my Springfield Armory XD. It's taken a bit but I'm back on the bus.

Currently own 2 with a Holosun 508T on the Beretta 1301 and Aimpoint T2 on the DD M4V7. Both are a significant step up from Vortex.
1701548361484.png

1701548441798.png

I've had two bad experiences with reflex (red dot sights), both were from Vortex and I should have know better. One on my Benelli SBE2 failed on a turkey hunt, the other (identical model) failed on my Springfield Armory XD. It's taken a bit but I'm back on the bus.

Currently own 2 with a Holosun 508T on the Beretta 1301 and Aimpoint T2 on the DD M4V7. Both are a significant step up from Vortex.
View attachment 572354
View attachment 572355
Now that Aridius industries mount looks the business!

That sounds like progress!

I like the idea on a side by side as sort of a buck and slug gun..?
Yes, slug gun, "poor man's double, but it shoots decent slug groups at 40 yards with a fiber optic front bead. With a red dot, it will be easy as eating cake.

I think with a red dot (I'm leaning toward a Burris Fastfire III), it will enhance duck hunting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xingzheyuye06

Latest profile posts

A.A. wrote on Msprenger!'s profile.
Are you still looking for a 375 H&H?
NRA Life, ASSRA Life, GGCA Life
Sable @ the lodge this morning

Buffalo encounter this morning!

here with available dates for 2024/25