Any .350 Rem Mag Fans?

I had a M7-KS in .350 for a short while... I currently have a Sambar, but a hunting buddy has been coveting that rifle for awhile and now that I have the .358-375 Ruger, finally I told him he could take the Sambar home with him... he is a happy boy, and already know who gets the first bullet... this guy;View attachment 587396
I've had my eye on a the 358 WSM (or Sambar) for quite a while. The WSM line came out when I was just graduating high-school and I owned the 300 WSM, 270 WSM, and a 223 WSSM. Those cases made my days, I eventually sold them due to lack of need in PA for such cartridges, but I've never forgotten how much I loved shooting them and the accuracy they each possessed.

I'd be hard pressed to get another 358 that wasn't WSM based, but a 375 Ruger based cartridge would have more juice. Could you give me some real world velocity numbers based off your experience with both?

I've had my eye on a the 358 WSM (or Sambar) for quite a while. The WSM line came out when I was just graduating high-school and I owned the 300 WSM, 270 WSM, and a 223 WSSM. Those cases made my days, I eventually sold them due to lack of need in PA for such cartridges, but I've never forgotten how much I loved shooting them and the accuracy they each possessed.

I'd be hard pressed to get another 358 that wasn't WSM based, but a 375 Ruger based cartridge would have more juice. Could you give me some real world velocity numbers based off your experience with both?

I can share some experience, although you can check out the Sambar sites out of Australia and "35cal.com", from the latter, Dave is a local friend and he built his .350 WSM before I built my Sambar... Dave was necking up .300 WSM, I believe in two steps, I had a pretty good stash of .325 WSM cases and just ran them through my Redding sizing die after annealing the necks and shoulder base. I tested a few different bullets and powders and settled on the 225 Accubond and RL-17 in both cases. My priorities for these rifles are likely different than most, due to the fact that I was already shooting carbines in .358 Win and rifles in .35 Whelen and .350 Rem Mag... there was not much point, other than S&G, to create a rifle that filled the same niche... so my goal was to created a flatter shooting, longer reaching .35 cal that could carry the energy and payload to reach out... in these parts, that was specifically meant for spot & stalk bears in the cuts and blueberry patches and moose in the swamps. So I landed on the lighter side for bullets in a bonded design, that was not "too tough" when the velocity had dropped off after 300 yards. In the end, I was getting 2950 with the .35 WSM and I am getting 3140 with the .358 Ruger, both with the 225 Accubond and RL-17... for comparison, I get 2800 with that bullet in the .35 Whelen. It is obvious that the Ruger has a significant case capacity advantage... it also has a very "snappy" recoil... not the heavy push of the wider mouth big bores... more like a "Weatherby punch." I don't mind taking shots, but thought I should mention it, since one of my hunting partners fired it at the range, then stood up, grabbed his shoulder and said; "what the hell!" LOL.

Back in the 90s, when TC still had a custom shop, I had a 350 Remington barrel made for my Encore. On the lightweight Encore frame, it was quite a thumper. I still have the barrel in the back of the safe, but have not sent a round down range in decades. Total weight was 7.5 pounds. I was loading 225 Partitions over IMR4320 for this barrel.

IMG_3272.jpg
IMG_3271.jpg

Back in the 90s, when TC still had a custom shop, I had a 350 Remington barrel made for my Encore. On the lightweight Encore frame, it was quite a thumper. I still have the barrel in the back of the safe, but have not sent a round down range in decades. Total weight was 7.5 pounds. I was loading 225 Partitions over IMR4320 for this barrel.

View attachment 587434View attachment 587435

Great little pack rifle for getting after bears and moose when hiking is required... the 225 Partition is a really good game taking bullet too.

@hoytcanon
You are a true 35 tragic like myself.
I tried convincing @rdog to donate his 350 to a good cause , me but he wouldn't come to the party .
Bob
Seems there are more than a few of us 35 aficionados here. I have yet to meet one I didn't like. All are on game accurate not fussy about loads and kill everything you point them at. I have one of the old country originals a 1905 Mannlicher Schoenauer in 9x56 ms. 6 1/2 lbs of fire breathing thunder. My favorite although I love them all. Marlin 35 rem, BLR in 358 win, CZ 550 FS in the 35's kissing cousin the 9.3x62. Alas I do not have a 350 rem mag but if a 600 or model 7 came up at a good price I wouldn't be able to help myself.

Seems there are more than a few of us 35 aficionados here. I have yet to meet one I didn't like. All are on game accurate not fussy about loads and kill everything you point them at. I have one of the old country originals a 1905 Mannlicher Schoenauer in 9x56 ms. 6 1/2 lbs of fire breathing thunder. My favorite although I love them all. Marlin 35 rem, BLR in 358 win, CZ 550 FS in the 35's kissing cousin the 9.3x62. Alas I do not have a 350 rem mag but if a 600 or model 7 came up at a good price I wouldn't be able to help myself.
@MS 9x56
WHAT. You have never met a 35 you didn't like or a 35 owner you didn't like..
@rdog still has his 350 rem mag that he won't donate to me for a permanent trial. He is a top bloke and a 35 owner.
I'm a 35 owner but don't play nicely with 243s. I just try and educate their owners.
Real calibres upto the medium bores end in 5 or have a 5 in them eg 25 cal, 35 cal and 375 cal.
REAL CALIBERS.
Bob

@MS 9x56
WHAT. You have never met a 35 you didn't like or a 35 owner you didn't like..
@rdog still has his 350 rem mag that he won't donate to me for a permanent trial. He is a top bloke and a 35 owner.
I'm a 35 owner but don't play nicely with 243s. I just try and educate their owners.
Real calibres upto the medium bores end in 5 or have a 5 in them eg 25 cal, 35 cal and 375 cal.
REAL CALIBERS.
Bob
Both Bob, both. Never cared much for 243’s myself there are not a bad varmint round but not suitable for big game or even medium game.

Both Bob, both. Never cared much for 243’s myself there are not a bad varmint round but not suitable for big game or even medium game.

I feel the same... never been a fan of the 6mm group on medium game... my hunting for medium game starts at 6.5mm. Not that 6mm doesn't work, it just doesn't have the margin I am comfortable with.

The 350 Rem Mag was started by Rem and as usual killed by them. It should have been way more popular especially in bear country, short, light and a thumper esp with round nose bullets. That bear is a ripper and helps show how good the little cartridge is.

I wrote to Rem about 3 years before the WSM then SAUM came out. I suggested they get a cartridge case with same head diameter as the 350Rem Mag but no belt they ignored the suggestion The WSM comes out and before long the 35 Sambar appears. Rem missed out. So I have a 356 M94, 35Whelen M700, 35 Sambar Rugger Hawkeye and a 358 RUM Remington M17. My 358RUM is based on the 338RUM.

As for bullets holding together no trouble with Woodleigh 225 gr PP on pigs and the like or with a 225 grain Monometal, that is no longer made, on Zebra (200mts) or Giraffe at 30mts. So your 35-375Ruger will work all right with most bullets over 200 grains.

The 350 Rem Mag was started by Rem and as usual killed by them. It should have been way more popular especially in bear country, short, light and a thumper esp with round nose bullets. That bear is a ripper and helps show how good the little cartridge is.

I wrote to Rem about 3 years before the WSM then SAUM came out. I suggested they get a cartridge case with same head diameter as the 350Rem Mag but no belt they ignored the suggestion The WSM comes out and before long the 35 Sambar appears. Rem missed out. So I have a 356 M94, 35Whelen M700, 35 Sambar Rugger Hawkeye and a 358 RUM Remington M17. My 358RUM is based on the 338RUM.

As for bullets holding together no trouble with Woodleigh 225 gr PP on pigs and the like or with a 225 grain Monometal, that is no longer made, on Zebra (200mts) or Giraffe at 30mts. So your 35-375Ruger will work all right with most bullets over 200 grains.

That is a nice collection of .35's you have there. This .358-375 is coming to Namibia next February with 225 Accubonds, unless the .375 WSM I am in the process of building happens to be spectacularly accurate.

Love my Ruger 77 Mk. II .350RM. It wears a 2-7 Kahles scope in Warne mounts. Loaded with 225 or 250gn Woodleigh PP's, it's been great on camels, sambar, pigs and a range of smaller stuff.

P1000276.JPG

Love my Ruger 77 Mk. II .350RM. It wears a 2-7 Kahles scope in Warne mounts. Loaded with 225 or 250gn Woodleigh PP's, it's been great on camels, sambar, pigs and a range of smaller stuff.

View attachment 589224

Very nice, Tim... I have the same rifle, and another that I turned into a 6.5 Rem Mag. You look like a fella to swap tall tales with over a few beers! Cheers.

Thought I would throw another 35 in the mix, albeit in a totally different category. Sadly, she has never taken any game in the field (with me anyway) but warms my heart every time I take her out. Used to wish she was a .405, but have grown to love her for who she is, lol!

IMG_2420.jpeg
IMG_2421.jpeg
IMG_2423.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

The 6.5 prc necked up the 358 would be interesting, would get ride of that belt. I can't be the only one that doesn't like belts. Remington and winchester are the best at killing good cartridges there the Syfy channel of the gun world.

That is a nice collection of .35's you have there. This .358-375 is coming to Namibia next February with 225 Accubonds, unless the .375 WSM I am in the process of building happens to be spectacularly accurate.
Thank you. Be interested in how the 375WSM turns out.

Tim, for got you had the 350RM.

The 6.5 prc necked up the 358 would be interesting, would get ride of that belt. I can't be the only one that doesn't like belts. Remington and winchester are the best at killing good cartridges there the Syfy channel of the gun world.
I imagine they get killed by lack of sales. Just shows that we already have about everything we've ever needed since the 1950s and 60s, or even before that. That's why I'm very skeptical about buying rifles in "new and improved calibers".

I imagine they get killed by lack of sales. Just shows that we already have about everything we've ever needed since the 1950s and 60s, or even before that. That's why I'm very skeptical about buying rifles in "new and improved calibers".
The lack of sales are brought about by the companies we spoke of. Lack of advertising, lack of or inappropriate rifles for the cartridge, down loading the cartridge, wrong or very light bullets for it, badly selected twist rate for the rifling.

The only belt I like is the on e holding my pants up. As I have said before there is nothing a belted magnum can do that a 100 year old non belted cartridge can't do just as well. 6.5 ORC necked up to 358? Just get a 35 Whelen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MitchelMcE

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!