Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
The lions were not killed by a white US Citizen, so it's ok.

A MAN from Hwange has been hospitalised after he was attacked by a lion on Saturday as villagers drove away a pride of the predators that was targeting their livestock.

Villagers in Mabale Ward under Chief Dingane-Nelukoba in Matabeleland North Province told Chronicle that they had lost more than 100 cattle and goats to the marauding lions, in attacks that culminated in the man nearly losing his life.

Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management Authority rangers gunned down a cub and a lioness called Frisk which had a tracking device on Saturday.

Villagers said the pride that has been terrorising them comprises three lionesses and four cubs.

Goats, cattle, dogs and chickens were at the mercy of the lions, especially at night.

On Saturday, villagers grouped together to drive away the pride, but the angry lions charged at them and almost mauled Abraham Ncube to death.

Chief Dingane-Nelukoba said Ncube is admitted to Hwange Colliery Hospital with multiple injuries.

"We have always complained about these lions, but nothing was done.

"In the past few days they killed about 40 cattle in Chezhou while others were killed in Mabale, Dopota, Songwa, Mopane and Chiguswi and as far as Halfway. I am not sure of the total number as I am still receiving reports," said Chief Dingane-Nelukoba.

Dopota village head Evans Shoko said more than 100 cattle were killed recently.

Zimbabwe Herald March 16, 2016

Hope the man will make it. Yeah I'm sure we wont see any press about this here in the US, like you say its ok as long as its not a US hunter doing it, its a non issue

Just goes to show:
Lions are not pets.
Lions are bloody dangerous, whether named or not.
Without concerted efforts in Conservation these conflicts are going to continue.
Do you think the rest of the pride is going to stay safe now?

They will all be poisoned soon.

Probably won't hear about this. It has no value.

We will not see a word of this published in the US! But our president in Cuba at a ball game is big news!

We will not see a word of this published in the US! But our president in Cuba at a ball game is big news!
You are 100% correct

If it is not a "white, rich, American hunter", I say that with a lot of sarcasm, then it's not liberal news to be played over and over again.

Exactly enysse

The issue when it's a rich, white american is that people feel the western world takes advantage of African and other third world countries. And to a point, they're completely right. These people were defending their livelihood, the dentist was just an ass flying across a big to to see "AFRICA" and take a few trophies in the name of conservation... I'm sorry guys, but there's a big difference there.

I would like to take issue with the "rich, white, American hunter" idea for a moment.

I note that many people other than the now-infamous dentist have shot lions - none perhaps as famous as our dear departed Cecil, but nevertheless, those who were against the good dentist seemed to be more anti-lion hunting than particularly anti-Cecil hunting (although they were one and the same here). I also note that not long after Cecil's untimely departure, an Italian gentleman was accused of having killed a lion, and his reaction was "so what"? At the time of Cecil's unfortunate passing (am I being compassionate enough?), our local media in Calgary interviewed a local hunter who was member of SCI, who had hunted lion,who explained why he had done so, and why he would do it again if he got the chance. No outcry. These latter two gentlemen are just as guilty of killing a lion as the dentist, yet no social media or public outcry. Why?

I don't think it's the poaching angle. The outcry in the dentist's case didn't stop even after the Zim government said the hunter had done nothing wrong.

I think the reason that the anti's went after the dentist is that they saw him sweat. They had him on the run. They smelled blood in the water (or on the ground, but you get the idea). He ran into hiding. Had the dentist not run and essentially said, "I shot a lion legally. So what?", I'm going to suggest that the ado would have abated in short order. The antis don't want to take on an individual who is going to fight back. They want to take on one who is going to run. It makes them look - and feel - important. It gives meaning to their cause. But if someone pushes back? Best look for an easier target.

I have a full-maned lion rug in my den, and I'm looking at him as I type. Not everyone who has seen him is a fan, but I don't apologize. In fact, if people get going on me, I've been known to become somewhat strident (though always polite) about my position. And you know what? It always shuts them up. I'm not saying I get them to my side. I'm just saying that they don't want an argument. They want me to fold. They want me to sweat.

So my advice is, in the words of my mother, "qui s'excuse, s'accuse" or, in the immortal words of the Gillette company, "never let them see you sweat."

And that's why the dentist got in trouble. Not because he was white, or rich, or American.

The issue when it's a rich, white american is that people feel the western world takes advantage of African and other third world countries. And to a point, they're completely right. These people were defending their livelihood, the dentist was just an ass flying across a big to to see "AFRICA" and take a few trophies in the name of conservation... I'm sorry guys, but there's a big difference there.
Yeah, This won't spark any emotions.....

If there weren't rich "asses" from across the globe going to Africa to take these trophies, there would be underfunded (or non funded) anti poaching units. Which in turn would be utter chaos for poaching. The people that take advantage of Africa, regardless of country, is the fat,rich,and greedy politicians of said country. Just like every politician in the world.....

With the natural resources that all of Africa has, there is only ONE reason that most of the African countries are not a super powers, it's politicians. The politicians are the ones keeping most of that continent in poverty. Not the rich from around the world (NOT just rich Americans) and not a dentist. Read the story on that rich dentist, you'll find what our rich American media said is a complete lie. Believe it or not, we are the best hope for those animals survival, regardless if you believe American media or not (hopefully not)..

BTW, very well put Hank

I think the reason that the anti's went after the dentist is that they saw him sweat. ........

Without doubt.

After watching a portion of the Prince's recent chat and the commentary on Cecil, the lie has become fact.

Glad your lion rug is staring back at you.

Without doubt.

Glad your lion rug is staring back at you.

When evening comes, and the sun is going down, the waning light hits him just so, and I could almost swear he's smiling.

I have a Kudu that just stares you down. It has unnerved a lot of guests.

Alexandro, who gives you the @#$@#@ right to call the dentist an ass? I am not sure if I have read your comment correctly or am I missing something. Before the Cecil crap, these people were getting money from trophy hunting of lions, now Zimbabwe sits with a problem of too many lions and are needing to cull. Do you think there's a difference to the lions whether they killed by a villager or foreign hunter, I bet in most cases more humane by the foreign hunter.

I heard that all over the USA at the time, if an African killed the lion then its ok. But if a "trophy" hunter does it, then all hell breaks loose. I can BS on the whole process. Are you saying if African kills a lion because he or she thinks it is a threat to their community that they are better than the guy that flew across the ocean put down $50000.00 and then took an old male out....is wrong.
Cecil was one lion, it was not the end of world he got killed. If the cape and meat were used, then that is wonderful. The money got spent in Africa for conservation purposes.

I would like to take issue with the "rich, white, American hunter" idea for a moment.

I note that many people other than the now-infamous dentist have shot lions - none perhaps as famous as our dear departed Cecil, but nevertheless, those who were against the good dentist seemed to be more anti-lion hunting than particularly anti-Cecil hunting (although they were one and the same here). I also note that not long after Cecil's untimely departure, an Italian gentleman was accused of having killed a lion, and his reaction was "so what"? At the time of Cecil's unfortunate passing (am I being compassionate enough?), our local media in Calgary interviewed a local hunter who was member of SCI, who had hunted lion,who explained why he had done so, and why he would do it again if he got the chance. No outcry. These latter two gentlemen are just as guilty of killing a lion as the dentist, yet no social media or public outcry. Why?

I don't think it's the poaching angle. The outcry in the dentist's case didn't stop even after the Zim government said the hunter had done nothing wrong.

I think the reason that the anti's went after the dentist is that they saw him sweat. They had him on the run. They smelled blood in the water (or on the ground, but you get the idea). He ran into hiding. Had the dentist not run and essentially said, "I shot a lion legally. So what?", I'm going to suggest that the ado would have abated in short order. The antis don't want to take on an individual who is going to fight back. They want to take on one who is going to run. It makes them look - and feel - important. It gives meaning to their cause. But if someone pushes back? Best look for an easier target.

I have a full-maned lion rug in my den, and I'm looking at him as I type. Not everyone who has seen him is a fan, but I don't apologize. In fact, if people get going on me, I've been known to become somewhat strident (though always polite) about my position. And you know what? It always shuts them up. I'm not saying I get them to my side. I'm just saying that they don't want an argument. They want me to fold. They want me to sweat.

So my advice is, in the words of my mother, "qui s'excuse, s'accuse" or, in the immortal words of the Gillette company, "never let them see you sweat."

And that's why the dentist got in trouble. Not because he was white, or rich, or American.
Indeed, I do agree with you completely. However, we live in a world of keyboard warriors and where power lies with the mob. Social media has linked extremists all over the world. We can not say that one scenario is the same as another. There are different socioeconomic factora at play as well as cultural differences. I maintain that killing for a tropht and killing to feed or protect your livelihood are 2 very different things and suggesting differently is ridiculous. I would never hunt a big cat, I find no joy in killing and I will not kill something that I will not eat. But that doesn't mean that I don't understand the importance of tropht hunting in all its various forms. What happened to Cecil (ridiculous that a lion is suddenly different the moment it has a name) is a metaphore for how 1st world countries use 3rd world countries as their playgrounds. There are so many social, political and economic issues at play here that the Cecil outcry can not be seen for its facevalue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg