An African Dilemma......Hmmm....What to Use?

You can be bored with case capacity but it still counts. If the Whelen can do it, so can the .338 and similar with their capacity advantage.

:D Pop Popcorn:

LOL: I had a flash back to my favorite Family owned/operated BBQ joint & forced to select only two (2) entrees from a great list of tasty offerings! But if choices must be made: #2 & #5, (#6 tight 2nd).

1) Great collection of unique calibers
2) PG: I must use the ole cliche’ & one your PH will respect - select the caliber that will ethically do the job in short order for the largest PG trophy on your hit-list & that means you maybe over-gunned (if that’s possible) on the littler guys.
3) Set-up that caliber for a comfortable 200 - 225M Zero (that’s me) as accuracy for ethical shot placement is greatly more important than lobbing lead long-range.
4) DG: Completely different mindset - I believe, you cannot be over-gunned & long range is species specific but honestly < = 100M.

Buff: big target but not easy to pick the “right spot” on a squirming around black canvas w/ some bush > 100M. Spells d.a.n.g.e.r.

DG: PH best teacher & best to listen to the teacher - example: a caliber & scope set-up for a Leopard could differ greatly compared to Buff or Hippo.

Thx for sharing …

You can be bored with case capacity but it still counts. If the Whelen can do it, so can the .338 and similar with their capacity advantage.
@sestoppelman
Case capacity only matters if you can use it. A lot of Magnum cartridges are loaded to 95 to 102% of capacity with slow burning powders. So unless you use a faster powder at higher pressure or modify yhe chamber, leade, freebore and other stuff how are you going to get 14 % more powder in if the load is already at 102%?
Yes you need a bigger case to get bigger velocities but only if you have the powder speed to suit it.
In the early days a lot of calibers couldn't get the velocities to match the case size. Take the 25/06 you couldn't get enough of the powder in the day to SAFELY make it much faster than the 257 Roberts.
Only with the advent of slower powders did these cartridges and the magnums come into thier own.
Yes we have even slower powders and even bigger cases that take even more powder but are these 200 fps worth all the extra powder, recoil worth it. For some Yes.

As for the faster speeds out of the Whelen the wheel hasn't been reinvent people were doing the same as me 10 years ago in standard factory Remington rifles
Screenshot_20210713-152626_Samsung Internet.jpg

That's close enough to 2,700fps in my book and in 2011 as well.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BarrettAlfred

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross