Wiley64

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa
Does it matter what airline you fly to Joberg from the us?I’ve always booked the cheapest option/best times offered. We will be checking our rifles and ammo.

Personal preference.

Some charge fees for firearms.
Some transit countries that require firearms permits.

All depends on preference. Flown Delta, United and Qatar. Best to me was Qatar although longer flight time. United was easy transit, except for a couple of delayed flights. Delta is okay, just hate Atlanta on return with guns. I will take Qatar if possible from now on. Guns are easy and with return to Houston no having to recheck baggage and guns for another flight. Houston is easy on return with customs and guns.

After flying Qutar last month in economy I will pick a direct flight if I go back. Not only is it 8 hours longer their outdated firearm policy is a pain in the rear. If you don't mind standing in lines forever and picking up and rechecking baggage then they might be for you.

Does it matter what airline you fly to Joberg from the us?I’ve always booked the cheapest option/best times offered. We will be checking our rifles and ammo.
You need a hunting travel agent. Some dont handle guns at all.
Here is the short list of intercontinental airlines: AA, BA, Delta, Qatar, Emirates, Turkish, Ethopian, & Virgin (one report no knowledge).
If you buy tickets yourself make sure to stay in one airline and the same itinerary each direction.

Here is the short list of intercontinental airlines: AA, BA, Delta, Qatar, Emirates, Turkish, Ethopian, & Virgin (one report no knowledge).
If you buy tickets yourself make sure to stay in one airline and the same itinerary each direction.
Come to think of it, we booked through worldwide trophy adventures and they sent us a recommendation for one a few months back- I completely forgot. I’m so glad you said this. Thanks

Is there a reason you didn't include Lufthansa and United?

Personally, I wouldn't fly any airline that has a European hub city in a country that requires paperwork for a firearm when it isn't even leaving the plane. I'm not sure what those are but KLM, at least, used to be one.

In addition to price, I always consider the travel time and that can vary by what U.S. city you are leaving from. For example Qatar to JNB from Dallas DFW is considerable less time than Qatar to JNB from Houston IAH.

Very good info here already provided. No one size fits all, departure city and connections domestically makes a difference and then how long and where you connect internationally again, you will see/hear some have odd outcomes. I fly for speed of simple transfers, right or wrong, I don't chase lowest, don't chase highest. I fly out MPLS, usually just prefer go MSP to ATL to Joburg. It is a long time in the seat though, but it's gonna suck either way. I end up Delta most often. And taking weapons, done gun and bow, and customs agents and airline agent knowledge or bad hair day can dictate how the day will go.

Very good info here already provided. No one size fits all, departure city and connections domestically makes a difference and then how long and where you connect internationally again, you will see/hear some have odd outcomes. I fly for speed of simple transfers, right or wrong, I don't chase lowest, don't chase highest. I fly out MPLS, usually just prefer go MSP to ATL to Joburg. It is a long time in the seat though, but it's gonna suck either way. I end up Delta most often. And taking weapons, done gun and bow, and customs agents and airline agent knowledge or bad hair day can dictate how the day will go.
I have flown internationally a few times, but I’m definitely no expert and I have never flown internationally with firearms or ammo.

Based on the variety of airline threads I’ve read on this site, I believe the end of your post hits the mail on the head. With any airline, it seems to come down to luck of the draw for the individual people you deal with at departure/transfer/destination.

We will be checking our rifles and ammo.

You have right there defined THE critical variable for YOUR options.

Not all companies accept firearms, and some that do, can actually make the process so complicated, if not downright hostile, that the trip becomes an extended stress test...

For example, do NOT fly British Airways through London, nor their local Comair in South Africa; transiting with rifles in Heathrow is becoming near impossible, and Comair will simply not accept firearms.

I personally believe that Delta (Atlanta to Johannesburg DL200 and DL201 to return) is currently one of the, if not THE, most convenient, besides being often among the cheapest, at least in economy class, and Airlink is great for South African internal flights.

I used South African Airways on the days they still flew, but transiting in JFK (New York) was a pain, schlepping the rifle case and suitcase from one terminal to another; and the reports on United are mixed, with some folks reporting last minute (literally 24 hours prior to scheduled departure) flight cancellations...

I have always booked my flights myself on-line and never had any issue doing so, including on Airlink.

Last edited:
I've flown Delta out of Atlanta to SA, with no issues. I now live in GA, and flying out of Atlanta makes life a lot simpler for me. I wanted a direct flt, and didn't want to deal with missing or delayed bags due to missed connections. Not sure if Delta is the cheapest for me, but it is the most convenient. :)

You need? Flown 15 times, would never add the issues a TA brings.
You have right there defined THE critical variable for YOUR options.

Not all companies accept firearms, and some that do, can actually make the process so complicated, if not downright hostile, that the trip becomes an extended stress test...

For example, do NOT fly British Airways through London, nor their local Comair in South Africa; transiting with rifles in Heathrow is becoming near impossible, and Comair will simply not accept firearms.

I personally believe that Delta (Atlanta to Johannesburg DL200 and DL201 to return) is currently one of the, if not THE, most convenient, besides being often among the cheapest, at least in economy class, and Airlink is great for South African internal flights.

I used South African Airways on the days they still flew, but transiting in JFK (New York) was a pain, schlepping the rifle case and suitcase from one terminal to another; and the reports on United are mixed, with some folks reporting last minute (literally 24 hours prior to scheduled departure) flight cancellations...

I have always booked my flights myself on-line and never had any issue doing so, including on Airlink.
Flown BA with guns many times, no issues ever. Flown Singapore, Etihad through AUH, Air France, Qatar, Swiss, Lufthansa, United, South African, Ethiopian, and a few I'm sure I am missing. There is no deep state conspiracy against firearms.

I've flown Delta out of Atlanta to SA, with no issues. I now live in GA, and flying out of Atlanta makes life a lot simpler for me. I wanted a direct flt, and didn't want to deal with missing or delayed bags due to missed connections. Not sure if Delta is the cheapest for me, but it is the most convenient. :)
If you are buying and flying coach this is no doubt the best option. If you are using points, flying business it's a bad option.

There is not a problem flying BA from the USA to JNB it’s just very expensive.

Some things to avoid. AA to Heathrow and change to BA, at one time AA did not allow the transfer. Arrive Heathrow and transfer to Gatwick or vices versa (possible but you need a very long layover). Have Zimbabwe as your final destination on a ticket transferring anywhere in Europe. (you need two separate tickets or take a Middle East or African carrier). No longer a problem, have Comair (BA license carrier) for your flight inter-African flights. (Use Airlink).

You need? Flown 15 times, would never add the issues a TA brings.

Flown BA with guns many times, no issues ever. Flown Singapore, Etihad through AUH, Air France, Qatar, Swiss, Lufthansa, United, South African, Ethiopian, and a few I'm sure I am missing. There is no deep state conspiracy against firearms.
Paul
You and I can fly anywhere anytime with or without guns and likely get it done. What you are missing is the hundreds of online posts of people who have had trouble going it alone flying internationally with guns and now advise others to NEVER FLY WITH GUNS AND ONLY USE YOUR OUTFITTERS RIFLES. Do you ever read any hunt reports here? The reason I ask is that if you did you would know what I am talking about. You see mypoint, my desire, is that everyone who wishes to hunt Africa has the chance to do so and to have a great experience. IMO you cant have a great experience borrowing a gun. You cant have a great experience with a messed up flight itinerary. You cant have a great experience if you get to Africa and then find out hat the domestic flight you BOOKED ON YOUR PHONE does not carry guns!
Your advice is simply bad for most people who are flying to Africa for the first or second time. These are the people my advice is directed towards.
Regards and safe travels,
Philip

Based on my experiences, the days of luxury USA airline travel with the likes of Pan American Airways or TWA are gone along with those companies.

I will not take a US airline overseas unless I have no choice (for example AA has the best routes to South America). Everywhere else I travel with Emirates and Turkish Airlines for the most part. Will take first Qatar trip in 10 days or so.

Again, let me re-iterate @Philip Glass 's advice. Use a Travel Agent like @TRAVEL EXPRESS . I have been traveling internationally since I was an infant, but still use them. If airline schedules etc. change you do not have Internet access in the bush. A travel agent can get you home. Not to mention keeping up with the ever changing requirements of airlines and countries.

Based on my experiences, the days of luxury USA airline travel with the likes of Pan American Airways or TWA are gone along with those companies.

I will not take a US airline overseas unless I have no choice (for example AA has the best routes to South America). Everywhere else I travel with Emirates and Turkish Airlines for the most part. Will take first Qatar trip in 10 days or so.

Again, let me re-iterate @Philip Glass 's advice. Use a Travel Agent like @TRAVEL EXPRESS . I have been traveling internationally since I was an infant, but still use them. If airline schedules etc. change you do not have Internet access in the bush. A travel agent can get you home. Not to mention keeping up with the ever changing requirements of airlines and countries.
Thanks and I look forward to your trip report.

I’ve used Virgin Atlantic from SFO 4 times to JNB with guns and there is no charge and no problems going through Heathrow. Here’s a big hint! The flight from JNB to Heathrow on return is always empty and you can upgrade to First Class for 35,000 points from Premium Economy. That’s Cheap!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odoodevelopers

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross