Africa Hunts and Relationship with Your Professional Hunter

@Tra3
I have to agree with you the biggest may not be your favourite. My impala that went 24 inches is one of my favourites. They are a beautiful but underrated animal my other is my zebra because my son wanted one and so did other members our owner/PH gave us a godfather deal that we couldn't refuse. Our second zebra was half price. I had always wanted one but decided to let my son have it due to the cost but when the offer came up how could I say no.
Bob
View attachment 355965
My bonus zebra stallion
View attachment 355966 My beautiful (in my opinion) impala and our outfitter/fellow hunter Markus on the left.
My absolute best trophies were the ones my wife was there to share the moment with me.

Bob,
exemplary how you present your weapon to the prey (y).
That would be a point which I would like to add and which every PH and staff is very happy about.
A safe handling of the weapon.
Rifle slings as short as possible,
The muzzle of a rifle, never points to a person, whether unloaded or a supposedly particularly safe rifle.
Forget the macho crap you see in books and videos.
Almost every PH that has been in business for a long time has had bullets flying around their ears.
More hunters have been killed by friendly fire than by the animals they hunted.
Grief and sorrow over carelessness are irreparable.

Bob,
exemplary how you present your weapon to the prey (y).
That would be a point which I would like to add and which every PH and staff is very happy about.
A safe handling of the weapon.
Rifle slings as short as possible,
The muzzle of a rifle, never points to a person, whether unloaded or a supposedly particularly safe rifle.
Forget the macho crap you see in books and videos.
Almost every PH that has been in business for a long time has had bullets flying around their ears.
More hunters have been killed by friendly fire than by the animals they hunted.
Grief and sorrow over carelessness are irreparable.

Great point. I missed this one. It is certainly one of the most important things a PH would respect you for - gun safety. Don’t get trigger happy. Don’t point your muzzle in the direction of another hunter AT ANY TIME. It doesn’t matter if the bolt is removed from the rifle. I’ve had many such experiences where I’ve looked down a barrel and almost had my head taken off. Be responsible and focus on this - and in pressure situations, never go full Rambo and forget about the people around you.

@Tra3
I have to agree with you the biggest may not be your favourite. My impala that went 24 inches is one of my favourites. They are a beautiful but underrated animal my other is my zebra because my son wanted one and so did other members our owner/PH gave us a godfather deal that we couldn't refuse. Our second zebra was half price. I had always wanted one but decided to let my son have it due to the cost but when the offer came up how could I say no.
Bob
View attachment 355965
My bonus zebra stallion
View attachment 355966 My beautiful (in my opinion) impala and our outfitter/fellow hunter Markus on the left.
My absolute best trophies were the ones my wife was there to share the moment with me.

Certainly a great trophy. Well done.

Gotcha...didn’t know that so thanks for that education, thought they were all the same in South Africa.

Edit: just checked and the record for the Eastern Cape Kudu is 58” taken not too far from where we’ll be hunting, so guessing low to mid 50’s would be a nice prize....

A couple of tips: make sure that your expectations are grounded in reality. First, ask the outfitter if that's a realistic expectation.

Second, look at the SCI and DSC records to see the size range of their definitions of "trophy". If you want to take it a step further, buy a copy of their record books to see how many have been recorded in the size range that you want. That will be another way to see if you are being realistic.

Third, ask yourself if you're willing to go home with nothing if you can't get a kudu of the size that you think you want - and by nothing, I mean no animals at all. Are you willing to hunt exclusively for the monster kudu to the exclusion of everything else until get it? That is the level of commitment that (unless you're amazingly lucky) that it will take to harvest a kudu like that and even then, there is no guarantee that you will even see one like that.

Maybe be a bit cautious here-
I once guided a guy for a once in a lifetime mtn goat. Horseback and hike and tents and open fires above Wilderness timberline. He killed a nice billy on second day and all he cares about was how long it’s horns were. Inches do matter, but are they the measurement of the hunt? I would take experience over inches every time and old age twice on the sabbath. Guys who carry record books will be frequently disappointed or are too wealthy for their own good. My 2cents is follow your guy on Facebook and have fun, let him worry about the inches.

I agree completely. I have been very fortunate to have taken a few truly exceptional animals. For example, the #25 B&C bison. However, when people walk in my trophy room and ask which one I am most proud of, I point to a mountain goat from Colorado whose horns are not exceptional when compared to ones take along the Pacific coast. In fact, it has the smallest horns of all of the mounts that I have. The reason it qualifies as the one I am most proud of is the effort that I put into it. A self-guided hunt, it was the conditioning, planning and scouting, etc. that culminated in the final harvest. It is a memory that is burned indelibly in my memory.

Last edited:
I've only been to South Africa twice, but learned enough on my first trip to make my second even better. Over drinks after arriving the first afternoon, I handed my PH a short letter in which I shared a few thoughts:
- I'm on vacation. Let's have fun. If you're not having fun, I'm not having fun...so let's not put each other under any pressure.
- I'm comfortable with days when nothing is shot. I love stalking and tracking.
- I like to be involved, so please tell me what we're doing and why. I enjoy learning from the experts.
- I booked a 10 day hunt with a 4 animal wish list (ok, so I took 10 animals, but 3 were warthogs because they're so damned much fun) so we can reduce the pressure. I fully expect to lose a day to vehicle problems, PH or my illness, or family issues...and can be left alone around a fire with a drink and a book. Funny thing is we ran out of gas and my PH reminded me of this part of the letter.
- I take gifts as they are presented. I find Hartebeest rather ugly and it wasn't on my wish list, but the one I shot is a favorite trophy; old with worn horns and taken after a close approach on foot.
My PH clearly read my letter and exceeded my expectations. The outfitter also picked up on my desire to learn and one of my favorite experiences was spending an afternoon "behind the scenes" of his Sable breeding program.

...... Over drinks after arriving the first afternoon, I handed my PH a short letter in which I shared a few thoughts:
What a great idea.

I've only been to South Africa twice, but learned enough on my first trip to make my second even better. Over drinks after arriving the first afternoon, I handed my PH a short letter in which I shared a few thoughts:
- I'm on vacation. Let's have fun. If you're not having fun, I'm not having fun...so let's not put each other under any pressure.
- I'm comfortable with days when nothing is shot. I love stalking and tracking.
- I like to be involved, so please tell me what we're doing and why. I enjoy learning from the experts.
- I booked a 10 day hunt with a 4 animal wish list (ok, so I took 10 animals, but 3 were warthogs because they're so damned much fun) so we can reduce the pressure. I fully expect to lose a day to vehicle problems, PH or my illness, or family issues...and can be left alone around a fire with a drink and a book. Funny thing is we ran out of gas and my PH reminded me of this part of the letter.
- I take gifts as they are presented. I find Hartebeest rather ugly and it wasn't on my wish list, but the one I shot is a favorite trophy; old with worn horns and taken after a close approach on foot.
My PH clearly read my letter and exceeded my expectations. The outfitter also picked up on my desire to learn and one of my favorite experiences was spending an afternoon "behind the scenes" of his Sable breeding program.
The content is all right, but I find it unusual to put it down in writing.

A PH must not run out of petrol.
Imagine that something happens in the bush and you can't get any further because the tank is empty(and no net for cellphone).
For me this is more criminal than if he forgets his ammunition.
He would have heard from me something.
That is weak performance for a PH. More than that.
Wilderness is not a fun park .
Everthing can happen in the bush-at any time.

Last edited:
PH's generally like to please and are at their most happy and relaxed when that hits the spot. Our's soon realised that we like to try unusual fare, so he himself prepared a braai of all sorts one night. The satisfied grins in the reflected flames said it all, his grin was the widest. Then we savoured several different single malts we had brought along and he discovered he has the taste. Eventually the safari owner himself joined us around the fire - bottom line we all enjoyed our mutual company immensely. That is as good a foundation as any upon which to lay a few prime trophies.

I think most posting here are overcomplicating things. A hunt is a business arrangement with expectation from both parties.

The hunter should be fit enough to conduct his hunt, know what he wants and communicate that to the PH, and be proficient enough with his firearms to bring the hunt to a satisfactory conclusion.

The outfitter (not just the PH) should be able to conduct the hunt according to the client's wishes, provide satisfactory food and shelter and have the staff to take care of trophies and incidentals. Basically fulfill the terms of the contract. Those that do it well get repeat business and referrals.

Slogans like "arrive as clients, depart as friends" etc., etc. are just marketing gimmicks to entice clients. Obviously, one has to be polite and conduct himself/herself appropriately. However, at the end of the day it is a professional relationship.

If your outfitter/PH aren't doing all that is reasonable, and maybe a bit more to make sure you are having a safe and enjoyable hunt, you need to find new ones, because there are plenty that will. The number of people willing to spend the amount of time and the amount of money on hunting, like everyone on here, is a very small universe, we should expect to be catered to. The outfitter/PH deserves to a client who is safe and not an unreasonable jackass, it is really a simple relationship.

"I think most posting here are overcomplicating things. A hunt is a business arrangement with expectation from both parties.

Slogans like "arrive as clients, depart as friends" etc., etc. are just marketing gimmicks to entice clients. Obviously, one has to be polite and conduct himself/herself appropriately. However, at the end of the day it is a professional relationship."
As a business agreement, it always begins.
But the weeks of camaraderie in the bush weld together in a way that I have never experienced in my business life.
And hunting is different , even if in the end the cash register has to be right .
I'm sorry, if you were never able to go home as a friend.
I can say almost always.
It is only very difficult to maintain friendship in everyday life and over distance.

Last edited:
As a business agreement, it always begins.
I'm sorry, if you were never able to go home as a friend.
I can say almost always.

Oh, I left on a friendly basis and still keep in touch via WhatsApp.

That being said I have a very high standard for friendship. If one is willing to sacrifice, put himself out for me and take a bullet if necessary then he is my friend. Same standard applies to me. Everyone else falls into a friendly acquaintance category.

I am lucky enough to have friends that meet that standard, some I have known since I was 5.

What an absolutely insightful and thoughtful thread. Planning my first safari and this answered many of the questions I had and many I was too inexperienced to know to ask!
You are in the right place for any info about hunting Africa. The only dumb question is the one you don't ask. Ask and ye shall receive. Someone will have an answer.

Boy, am I glad that I shopped for, bought, and hunted my first Safari several years ago when all it took was a hunting buddy with a price list, a chat with the PH about rifles, and plane tickets to get started.
Limcroma Safaris owner, Hannes Els, picked us up at the JoBerg airport and two weeks of hunting big game and upland birds went well. We shot 13 species of birds and 16 animals , saw a lot of country, ate Crocodile and other good food, and had a great time. Also made good friends. Also dead tired by departure time.

I might have had an upset tummy if we had needed to go through the above pages of ???? to make up our minds.

On his first trip to the states, Hannes visited Dallas, spoke at a dinner meeting of the Dallas Woods and Waters Club, sat through the Safari slide show my wife and I put together, stayed at my house, and took a drive to see my Comanche County deer lease and toured another Hunting property of a friend.

So much can be done by just doing it yourself. Saves time too.

Understand that the PH is there to earn a living, hopefully by doing what he loves. A PH worth his salt will be a hunter, an MC, a nature guide, a troubleshooter, but first and foremost a host. As such--especially on a client's first safari--he will do his best to understand and accommodate your needs, as well as to go along with your wants (within reason). Best to be upfront about these right off the bat--and this is also predicated upon asking the right questions.

Some made-up examples:
How long will the shots be? I'm usually comfortable within 200 yards.
How is the terrain? Will there be much walking? I'm asking because I recently sprained my ankle, but otherwise I'm reasonably fit.
Do you have suggestions on caliber and bullet type? I'm planning on taking a scoped .300 H&H bolt-action with 180gr bullets for all my intended game.
Etc.

Upon arrival, he will let you know what his list of needs is. And you'll get a safety briefing with his rules to be taken as Gospel, no questions asked. Imagine the faith it takes to spend days upon days scrambling in the bush with perfect strangers behind you tripping over rocks while carrying high-power rifles. You may be a star-studded NRA-certified Chief Range Safety Officer Training Counselor, but his rules are his rules and you're the guest--period.

Note: talking to several PHs over the years, I have gotten the impression that some have alarm bells going off when a client is too focused on trophy size. Possible high-maintenance client alert. Doubly true on clients' first hunts (so you're a greenhorn and want to make the SCI Record Book?).

Note: also talking to several PHs about bad experiences with clientzillas, I know they don't like it when a client gets moody or PO'd while hunting--for reasons ranging from having failed in their marksmanship, having had a potential trophy run away or, worst of all, for a trophy that measures less than their ideal (see previous note). A positive, sportsmanlike attitude and fair play are the name of the game.

A PH is there to give you a good experience, and his pride will be heavily invested in your having a great time, leaving completely satisfied and psyched about coming back. Part of that, of course, is finding a good fit with a PH that sounds like what you're looking for. This is also why this site is such a wealth of information. References also help greatly.

I'm excited for you--you'll fall in love with Africa and chances are your PH will help make that happen.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg