A New Double for Cal

Eagle, AK and double rifles.

A dream place and a dream tool.

Very nice new rifle Cal. Thanks for sharing pics with us.

Tim

Gents:
Here are some targets to illustrate load development in a double rifle.
The first shots with the .350 no2 Rigby were with 62 grains of 4350. (I use 4831 in all of my nitro doubles but it is too bulky for a small case such as this). Some data called for 68 grains but only 62 would fit in the case and that was a compressed load. Note each barrel groups well, but too far apart. For proper regulation I am looking for 2550 to 2600 fps and this load was short by nearly 300 fps. All bullets used were 225-grain Speer.

IMG_3678.JPG

The second target was right on as to velocity, however 4198 (50 grains) saw a good group but the rife opened stiff due to excessive pressure.

IMG_3679.JPG

By the way, all targets were shot over a seated rest at 40 yards.
Moving to a slower powder 3031, 50 grains was a bit too slow and the group opened up a bit. Velocity was still 150 fps slow.

IMG_3680.JPG

I only had three primed cases remaining so I upped the load to 51.5 grains and the group was good.
IMG_3681.JPG

Target number five was excellent. 53.5 grains was a perfect velocity but the rifle opened with a bit of stiffness. Ten shots here show a group about as good as it gets. Six shots were mine and four from my mate.

IMG_3682.JPG

So, one more go on a different day. This time with 52.5 grains of 3031 at 50 yards over a standing rest this time. I've never owned a double this accurate nor do I know of one. Velocity was 2565 fps. Bullet was the 225-grain Speer. Case is now closed. Further experimentation is not needed. Group is about one inch.
Cheers, all,
Cal

IMG_3729.JPG

Cal,

Outstanding !
That particular rifle is not only a museum piece and a time machine but it is uncommonly accurate.
You really scored when you aquired it.

And thank you again for organizing the double rifle shoots.
These are the best gatherings for learning and general fellowship with like minded hunters and collectors.
I say good show !

Cheers,
Paul (Velo Dog).

Great purchase cal , i live in australia and it is difficult . On a plus side i bought your bore rifle and 600 books a while back and they are both magnificent , read them alot.

Boldo:
Thanks. I hope you can get my new book, the Double Rifle Primer. You can see it on my website, calpappas.com under books by Cal
Cheers,
Cal

I'm off for a caribou hunt in 20 minutes. Post your rifle's pics and details! Congratulations on your new toy!
Cal

Safe hunting and good luck Cal.

I'm off for a caribou hunt in 20 minutes. Post your rifle's pics and details! Congratulations on your new toy!
Cal

Cal, you should know, with our licensing system, it should be in my hands in about 2-4 months.:cry:

It's called Peer Pressure no thanks to you @bassasdaindia. I'll probably go homeless now. But, I'll be a homeless with a double rifle that can defend the little bit I've got left. :D:D:D

@KMG Hunting Safaris you deserve everything of the best my friend . I wish you many great and successful hunts with your new double . Post some pic's when you can .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OdessaHayg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.