A new .375h&h

Reaction score
Im looking at getting a new rifle and want a 375h&h. Now only problem js they are hard to find where I'm from and only option I have is a bergara b14 timber. Amd everyone on my local group shits all over it amd I don't know is it really that basld should I try to source something else maybe more expensive? Or is it a good enough rifle that can be improved with maybe a new stock or something

Where are you from? It might help members here steer you in the right direction
Croatia really poor choice of .375h&h rifles currently only finding the bergara. I am open to a brno would orefer it to a bergara. The M70 i don't think it's available at all jere and if it is only in 30.06 or .308. I have some rugers but not the .375 only ahain the 30.06 and such. I'm also interested in any info if anyone handled the bergara as to how it feels to shoot

Im looking at getting a new rifle and want a 375h&h. Now only problem js they are hard to find where I'm from and only option I have is a bergara b14 timber. Amd everyone on my local group shits all over it amd I don't know is it really that basld should I try to source something else maybe more expensive? Or is it a good enough rifle that can be improved with maybe a new stock or something

I would also rather use for hunting in Africa, as recommended, a rifle with controlled round feed.

On the other hand, why not a Bergara caliber 375 H&H Magnum. There are also rifles from Remington in use in Africa, and the rifles from Bergara seems not to be worse either. Unfortunately, I am not familiar with the weapons from Bergara, but I once hunted buffalos in Africa with a Remington Model 700 caliber 416 Remington Magnum. It worked too.

Croatia belongs to the EU. Is there no possibility to buy a rifle, a Winchester 70 for example, via a neighboring country, Austria for example ? Or are the gun laws in Croatia very restrictive ?

I would also rather use for hunting in Africa, as recommended, a rifle with controlled round feed.

On the other hand, why not a Bergara caliber 375 H&H Magnum. There are also rifles from Remington in use in Africa, and the rifles from Bergara seems not to be worse either. Unfortunately, I am not familiar with the weapons from Bergara, but I once hunted buffalos in Africa with a Remington Model 700 caliber 416 Remington Magnum. It worked too.

Croatia belongs to the EU. Is there no possibility to buy a rifle, a Winchester 70 for example, via a neighboring country, Austria for example ? Or are the gun laws in Croatia very restrictive ?
There is but we currently have a nice clusterfuck called court strike. Court workers are striking and i had my purchase licence taken out before it started so i would have to go and redo it if I wanted to go for that. Problem is I'm pretty sure I need the court beacause I think the cops check against court records if you are currently being processed for something. And kinda hard when they are striking but if a good ine appeared I would see definetly

Well, was just a question.

If you imperative want to buy in the next time a rifle caliber 375 H&H Magnum and the Bergara is readily available, buy it. Bergara does not have a bad reputation at the moment, at least when it comes to smaller, common calibers. Moreover, in terms of price, these weapons are more than affordable.

bergara_b14_timber_repetierb_chse_.375_h_h_1_kopie.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-20 at 7.06.35 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-20 at 7.06.35 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 39
  • Screenshot 2023-07-20 at 7.06.36 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-20 at 7.06.36 AM.png
    575.3 KB · Views: 39
  • Screenshot 2023-07-20 at 7.06.39 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-20 at 7.06.39 AM.png
    440.6 KB · Views: 33
Well, was just a question.

If you imperative want to buy in the next time a rifle caliber 375 H&H Magnum and the Bergara is readily available, buy it. Bergara does not have a bad reputation at the moment, at least when it comes to smaller, common calibers. Moreover, in terms of price, these weapons are more than affordable.
The price is my main draw to it. Its bit expensive i can easily afford it at the moment and am thinking of if i get it having a new stock made to maybe get it more balanced and better

Among currently manufactured commercially available .375 Holland & Holland Magnums, my suggestion would be for:
- Magnum Mauser M98 Diplomat (if price is not an issue)
- Winchester M70 Safari Express (if you’re on a bit of a budget)

Bergara rifles aren’t too shabby in my experience. I’ve used a B-14 Timber in .243 Winchester to take an impala. I really liked it.

Im looking at getting a new rifle and want a 375h&h. Now only problem js they are hard to find where I'm from and only option I have is a bergara b14 timber.
I passed that road not so long ago. Looked at the very same Bergara.

I am not saying Begrara is a bad rifle. I have tried HMR in 308, and it works and is accurate.

But you dont want to tell stories to your grandkids that you have been to African Safari, and hunted with bergara.
You want a story for grand kids that involves either mauser or double rifle. Because these two guns made best part of safari culture and history.

I have replied on gun choice in details on your introduction post, take a look.

In our place (we are from same country), keep looking at 2nd hand adds, and look for CZ550 or ZKK 602.

In identical search, that took me two years till successful find, and one expired purchasing permit, I also tried Zastava m70, in 375 HH.

The difference between zastava vs cz550 and zkk 602 is following.

Zastava is built on medium lenght action.
It is roughly adjusted to take 3 magnum length rounds of 375 HH. (small capacity)
It is a bit lighter in weight, and kicks harder.
Action is drilled and tapped, and will need screw to take scope mounts.

CZ 550 and ZKK 602 are built on magnum lenght action.
Rifle without scope is cca 4.2 kg, and bit heavier with scope and mounts, loaded and with sling. It has acceptable recoil due to weight.

Naturally accepts magnum lenght cartridges such as 375 HH.
Because of wide and long magnum length action, gently holds 6 rounds in magazine. (zkk)
It is double square masuer action, built to take scope mounts on dove tail, which is arguably the best scope base on a rifle and tightest grip for mounts.

Once ZKK actions have been exported to Rigby for their famous Rigby bolt action magnum rifles. This speaks of quality

So, be patient, follow second hand market, and look for cz 550 or ZKK 602.

After I bought mine in 375 HH, there were few of cz 550 and zkk 602, again on the offer periodically.

Suggested mounts of CZ 550 and zkk 602 are rusan swenk (german swing mounts) - magnum type, that have 6 screws on front ring. (made of steel)
Or try EAW if you want to spend more money

This type of swing mounts will probably visually cover rear and front sight, so gunsmith will have to raise them, and regulate them.
Choice of scope is individual.
I took Swarovski Z6, 1.7-10x42.

Other jobs on zkk or cz.
Safety could be adjusted to fwd - safety off. (CZ rifles are usually fwd savety on), trigger could be better adjusted. If necessary barrel to be free floated.
All done, then to be tested on the range. (extensively)
ZKK 602 and cz 550 are not typical mauser action, they have different trigger and safety system, so finding replacement parts such as timney, will be hard at our place becasue typical masuer backmarket parts dont fit.
So if neccesary gunsmith to make his magic if need be on those two things should you find this appropriate.

Later edit, this reminded me that there was recent import of sako 85 in 375, but for astronomical retail price, in local shop, in countries capital.

keep looking and you will find.

Last edited:
- Magnum Mauser M98 Diplomat (if price is not an issue)
- Winchester M70 Safari Express (if you’re on a bit of a budget)
m98 diplomat, lets assume price is an issue, and due to price maybe not available at local market, this will then invlovle painful import procedure.
Win m70, not available in shops lately. local dealer sells mostly xpr.

I know local market conditions, so...

m98 diplomat, lets assume price is an issue, and due to price maybe not available at local market, this will then invlovle painful import procedure.
Win m70, not available in shops lately. local dealer sells mostly xpr.

I know local market conditions, so...
Mark, thank you so much for enlightening me. What about Sako rifles ? Last time I was in Croatia in 2018, I did see a few Model 85s at the local gun shops. Obviously, they aren’t being made anymore. But I would think that there’s at least a couple floating around on the secondhand market, which might be chambered in .375 Holland & Holland Magnum ?

In Croatia, I’ve seen local hunters mostly use .30-06 Springfield rifles for their domestic hunting.

I don’t have anything against the OP buying that .375 Holland & Holland Bergara P-14 rifle. I have no experience with the Bergara rifles in this caliber, but the .243 Winchester variant is pin-point accurate with Norma 100Gr soft points.

What about Sako rifles
I didnt know you visited my country.
But please next time send me a pm. Maybe will be a chance to meet and share stories during a lunch.

85'S are still available.
But 375 sako skyrocketed in price to 7k euro. for that kind of money I would look for something else.

Also, one very interesting fact.
I dont remember seeing 2nd hand sako 85 on offer.
I think that owners prefer to stick with them. (me included, no way I would sell mine!)

two most popular calibers locally are 8x57, and 30-06.
8x57, is now fading a bit in popularity with newer generation of hunters.
And 30-06 is continuosly picking up in popularity, followed by 308 win. (my personal estimate)
8x57 was popular, because it was military caliber of ex yugo army, lot of surplus ammo around, and cheap ammo in shops.
First zastava hunting production rifles (before m70) were built on m48 (98K mauser clone) action, in 8x57, so this made this caliber popular and nationally distributed

The dealers and shop keepers know this, so they are importing 30-06 rifle in great numbers
this in turn boosts popularity of '06. New generation of hunters dont much care as long as caliber is effective, and ammo price reasonable. And dealers dont need to look for other imports too much. So, the circle of popularity is closed on '06.

I am very conservative in my chocies and my first choice was sako 85 in 7x64. Becasue I would prefer hunting caliber for hunting, not military caliber for hunting.
But it was impossible to find, and I tried hard. (even in Slovenia)
Finally I compromised, and took 30-06.
Nothing wrong with it, but I would still prefer 7x64.

I suggest that first time to Africa hunters should avoid rushing out to buy a rifle.
They should instead, only rent a rifle from their PH.

From that important first Africa Hunting experience, one will learn quite a lot about rifles and ammunition appropriate for this most wonderful part of the world.

I suggest that first time to Africa hunters should avoid rushing out to buy a rifle.
They should instead, only rent a rifle from their PH.
Actually, yes we jumped to discussion of 375.

Lets assume two things.
Lets assume that OP is experienced local hunter, that already has good rifle inventory, with main to go 30 cal. (Americans call this "deer rifle")

Lets assume next that he will not immediately go for buffalo hunt, but he will settle to plains game safari, as his first safari

So, in that case, he can as well take his good old trusty all round rifle, 30 cal. Make good choice of ammo, and go to first safari.

Or optionally to rent.

That being said, my experience was:
My first safari on PG was with camp rifle, and in 375 HH. (I fell in love with the caliber)

By the time, I completed my 2nd safari (with rental mauser in 300 HH), I had it all figured out.
I had buffalo, eland and whatnot on my mind, and was fairly certain I will keep going on safaris till as long as I can afford, and then I went for 375 HH as my dedicated buffalo gun and African allrounder.

Now, rental rifle or not that is the question?
It just happened to be that in my first two safaris when I hunted with rental rifle, I was not familair with rented rifle.
First one had too light trigger, and second one had too rough double stage trigger.
So, in both cases, although I tested rifles on the range before hunt, my first african animal was wounded.
First hunt, I wounded oryx, later found. This was first shot and first animal in Africa for me.
Second hunt, first animal on safari, first day, I pulled to hard, and hit low, (180 meters) and wounded in leg. Tracker found and we collected later. impala
So, I never lost an animal, but first shots with unfamiliar rifles were not perfect.
2nd day, on any safari was always better.
Last day of safari me and rifle, rented or owned are one being.

So bringing his own 30 cal rifle on safari, will make him fully effective on day one. No surprises.

Rented rifle brings also a possible flaw of being issued with cheap low quality ammo.

So, if OP has his good old gun for boar and deer, he can take it on first safari.
later to plan for something specialized. 375 hh recommended, provided that he "promises" to hunt bufallo, one day in the future.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoannaLjg1

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.
SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani
FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek