A Flickering Light

Sam Kunal

AH member
Reaction score
Articles
Today I am going to share another article on boar hunt at night. This article is of my distant uncle . I heard it when I was in school. So forgive me if I miss out anything .
My uncle was a great shot .He owned a DBML(Double Barrel Muzzle Loader ) in 12 bore. It had no choke and allowed all type of pellets or slugs to be used in it without damaging the barrel. A 12 Bore DBML (Double Barrel Muzzle Loader ) is typically proofed to withstand a charge of 4 drams of fine grain black powder .This incident took place when he was in a boarding institute. The area around the institute was full of wild game to include Sambhar deer, Kakar deer,Wild Boar and lot of wild fowl. The trainees were allowed to keep weapons on licence due to the dangerous area. He would bring back something for the pot on a regular basis.
On a particular day , he decided to sit for wild boar on a machan (blind in the tree) . Preparations were made and before evening everything was ready.
He along with a friend were to sit on the machan. While climbing the machan ,his friend accidentally dropped the torch they were carrying. The torch fell and its switch was damaged. It stopped working. There was nothing that could be done to repair it at that time.
However my uncle came up with an idea. He had some electric wire in his bag.He removed the batteries and made an alternate connection with the light and the battery. It was just enough for the time being. They sat down in wait.
Later at night he heard a wild boar munching at the sweet potatoes in the field below. He signalled his friend and he readied the makeshift torch . My uncle took aim with his DBML (Double Barrel Muzzle Loading) gun loaded with 8 LG size pellets (equivalent to American 000 buck shot , and roughly 0.36 inches or 9.14 mm in diameter ) .The torch gave a flickering light and bang went the gun. The jungle echoed with the discharge and the air above was filled with thick smoke. After the smoke cleared they could see that the brute was hit .The charge of LG size pellets caught the brute on its spinal column and it was screaming in pain. It expired in a few minutes on the spot.
It was a good old boar weighing around 180 pounds.
My uncle was very happy with the results.
However this incident gave him a lesson. He started carrying a spare torch with him afterwards. He went on to hunt many other games in his neighbourhood. Later with the change of time he deposited his gun with the authorities.
Thank You.
LG or 000 pellets.
Black Powder.
The torch contraption.

DBML GUN(Double Barrel Muzzle Loader Gun)
images.jpg

I would like to thank Major Khan Sir who guided me in preparing this article .

Last edited by a moderator:
This is another brilliantly written article , Kunal Beta . It so much reminds me of the good , old days . The way ingenious method by which your uncle improvised and repaired that torch light ... Was extremely crafty and innovative .

I suppose I was incredibly fortunate to own a 12 Bore DBBL Made In Belgium . I am not certain what my success rate would have been ... If I had been forced to do it all , with a DBML .

Did your Dadaji or Uncleji ever make use of 2 cell torch lights ? I used to utilize them regularly ... For all of my night time shikars ?

I would also use a small pencil torch light , which I would secure to the fore end of my 12 Bore Belgian DBBL ... With a small piece of masking tape . Early on in my career as a professional shikaree ... I learnt never to rely up on another person to provide me with my source of illumination .

It was 1962 , when I had gone out at night with a coolie ... To dispatch an Asian Sloth Bear . I was carrying my 12 Bore DBBL Made In Belgium ( Loaded with spherical ball cartridges ) . The coolie was carrying a 2 call torch light . I am doing to skip the details , but when the brute had charged ... That doddering imbecile of a coolie dropped the torch light , and bolted ! He abandoned me in the dark ! Fortunately , the fallen 2 cell torch light provided me with just enough illumination ... To place a 16 Bore spherical ball bullet , right behind the brute's shoulder . Through sheer luck , this stopped the charge and killed the Asian Sloth Bear .

Henceforth , I vowed ... Never to ever rely up on a 3rd party for illumination , ever again .

Please continue with your excellent articles . Each is getting better than the last .

This is another brilliantly written article , Kunal Beta . It so much reminds me of the good , old days . The way ingenious method by which your uncle improvised and repaired that torch light ... Was extremely crafty and innovative .

I suppose I was incredibly fortunate to own a 12 Bore DBBL Made In Belgium . I am not certain what my success rate would have been ... If I had been forced to do it all , with a DBML .

Did your Dadaji or Uncleji ever make use of 2 cell torch lights ? I used to utilize them regularly ... For all of my night time shikars ?

I would also use a small pencil torch light , which I would secure to the fore end of my 12 Bore Belgian DBBL ... With a small piece of masking tape . Early on in my career as a professional shikaree ... I learnt never to rely up on another person to provide me with my source of illumination .

It was 1962 , when I had gone out at night with a coolie ... To dispatch an Asian Sloth Bear . I was carrying my 12 Bore DBBL Made In Belgium ( Loaded with spherical ball cartridges ) . The coolie was carrying a 2 call torch light . I am doing to skip the details , but when the brute had charged ... That doddering imbecile of a coolie dropped the torch light , and bolted ! He abandoned me in the dark ! Fortunately , the fallen 2 cell torch light provided me with just enough illumination ... To place a 16 Bore spherical ball bullet , right behind the brute's shoulder . Through sheer luck , this stopped the charge and killed the Asian Sloth Bear .

Henceforth , I vowed ... Never to ever rely up on a 3rd party for illumination , ever again .

Please continue with your excellent articles . Each is getting better than the last .
Thank You for your kind words,Sir. I think that they used 2 cell torches at that time. I can't confirm it though. I could not bring myself to use DBML gun against a charging beast.
Your account of the Asian Sloth Bear hunt reminds me of one the hunts of Jim Corbett. I will search and post the extract here.

Thank You for your kind words,Sir. I think that they used 2 cell torches at that time. I can't confirm it though. I could not bring myself to use DBML gun against a charging beast.
Your account of the Asian Sloth Bear hunt reminds me of one the hunts of Jim Corbett. I will search and post the extract here.
That is correct , Kunal Beta ! Mr. Corbett experienced a similar incident when following up the wounded " Man Eater Of Panar " ( A forest panther ) . He was being backed by a dozen villagers , carrying flaming torches . When the forest panther charges ... The villagers bolted and dropped the flaming torches on to the ground . The fire provided Mr. Corbett with enough illumination to shoot the charging brute in the chest with his 12 Bore Birmingham Small Arms ( BSA ) side by side shot gun ( Which was loaded with Eley Alphamax LG cartridges ) . Some of the 8 LG pellets managed to penetrate in to the brute's heart ... Thus , laying it low .

Much like yourself ... I am a Jim Corbett fan , as well ( I had no idea that we have this in common , as well ! )

Unlike Mr. Corbett ... I was fortunate enough to have to be contending with an Asian Sloth Bear and NOT a man eating forest panther . I was also blessed , that the light in question ... Was a 2 cell torch light and NOT a flaming torch !

If these 2 incidents of myself and Mr. Corbett teaches you anything ... It is this : Never rely up on another person to provide you with illumination , at night ... Especially when , in the pursuit of dangerous game !

Great story. Keep them coming.

Nice story thanks for posting it.

Great story, thank you !

Today I am going to share another article on boar hunt at night. This article is of my distant uncle . I heard it when I was in school. So forgive me if I miss out anything .
My uncle was a great shot .He owned a DBML(Double Barrel Muzzle Loader ) in 12 bore. It had no choke and allowed all type of pellets or slugs to be used in it without damaging the barrel. A 12 Bore DBML (Double Barrel Muzzle Loader ) is typically proofed to withstand a charge of 4 drams of fine grain black powder .This incident took place when he was in a boarding institute. The area around the institute was full of wild game to include Sambhar deer, Kakar deer,Wild Boar and lot of wild fowl. The trainees were allowed to keep weapons on licence due to the dangerous area. He would bring back something for the pot on a regular basis.
On a particular day , he decided to sit for wild boar on a machan (blind in the tree) . Preparations were made and before evening everything was ready.
He along with a friend were to sit on the machan. While climbing the machan ,his friend accidentally dropped the torch they were carrying. The torch fell and its switch was damaged. It stopped working. There was nothing that could be done to repair it at that time.
However my uncle came up with an idea. He had some electric wire in his bag.He removed the batteries and made an alternate connection with the light and the battery. It was just enough for the time being. They sat down in wait.
Later at night he heard a wild boar munching at the sweet potatoes in the field below. He signalled his friend and he readied the makeshift torch . My uncle took aim with his DBML (Double Barrel Muzzle Loading) gun loaded with 8 LG size pellets (equivalent to American 000 buck shot , and roughly 0.36 inches or 9.14 mm in diameter ) .The torch gave a flickering light and bang went the gun. The jungle echoed with the discharge and the air above was filled with thick smoke. After the smoke cleared they could see that the brute was hit .The charge of LG size pellets caught the brute on its spinal column and it was screaming in pain. It expired in a few minutes on the spot.
It was a good old boar weighing around 180 pounds.
My uncle was very happy with the results.
However this incident gave him a lesson. He started carrying a spare torch with him afterwards. He went on to hunt many other games in his neighbourhood. Later with the change of time he deposited his gun with the authorities.
Thank You.
LG or 000 pellets.
Black Powder.
The torch contraption.

DBML GUN(Double Barrel Muzzle Loader Gun)
View attachment 350829
I would like to thank Major Khan Sir who guided me in preparing this article .
@Sam Kunal
Another interesting story young man. What year was this in.
It was a pity he handed the gun in.
It would have made an interesting gun to shoot fowl and trap with.
Keep up the good work.
Your friend.
Bob Nelson

@Sam Kunal
Another interesting story young man. What year was this in.
It was a pity he handed the gun in.
It would have made an interesting gun to shoot fowl and trap with.
Keep up the good work.
Your friend.
Bob Nelson
Thank You,Sir. I am sorry but I never asked him about the year but it was definitely before the ban. I also regret losing many nice guns due to the ban. One of my relatives had a nice arsenal which included a .303 rifle ,A Mauser rifle in .22 lr, A SXS DBBL Gun and A Diana Model 35 Air Rifle. He sold them after the ban .

Thank You,Sir. I am sorry but I never asked him about the year but it was definitely before the ban. I also regret losing many nice guns due to the ban. One of my relatives had a nice arsenal which included a .303 rifle ,A Mauser rifle in .22 lr, A SXS DBBL Gun and A Diana Model 35 Air Rifle. He sold them after the ban .
@Sam Kunal
I appreciate the manners Sam but please call me Bob. The queen hasn't knighted me so no need for the sir.
Bob Nelson

It is in our culture , my friend . We never address those elder than us ... By their names .
@ Friend Ponton
I understand this my dear friend it's that I find sir to be to formal. In my Aboriginal culture our elders are referred to as uncle but I'm comfortable just being called Bob.
Your friend
Bob

I have learnt that one should have respect for others and one should address them in a respectful manner. Please allow me to address you in a respectful way.
@Sam Kunal .
I understand your feelings Sam and your desire to be respectful. They are qualities sadly lacking in our younger generations. I would prefer it if you called me Bob as I have given permission in no way will you be showing me disrespect.
If you are uncomfortable with this I completely understand and respect your wishes.
Your friend
Bob

Worry not . I am elder to you ... So I can definitely call you Bob !
@ friend Ponton
You are my elder my dear friend and have my utmost respect, you are also a person I can call my friend.
I worry not nowdays I find it a waste of time as worry never solve any issues but wisdom thru experience does.
Your humble reader and friend
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HowardDove

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,