A "Drilling double" in Saskatchewan

Longwalker

AH elite
Joined
Apr 2, 2015
Messages
1,755
Reaction score
6,206
Location
Canada
Media
142
Articles
1
Hunting reports
Africa
5
USA/Canada
4
Member of
Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation, Saskatoon Gun Dog Club
Hunted
Canada, USA, Germany, South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Mozambique
Yesterday I was sneaking along pretending I was quiet when a whitetail doe broke out of some logging slash and crossed just 50 meters or so in front of me. I flipped off the safety and scanned behind her, and sure enough, a nice buck was running right behind. So I swung the crosshairs along his body and touched off just as I swung ahead. Put a bullet behind his ear.
On the walk back to camp a grouse was scratching around under a spruce. So I flipped up the rifle sight and plinked it with a .22 magnum solid. I got a glimpse of a wolf near camp but didn't have time for a shot.
I really love the versatility of this set up, a Krieghoff Trumpf dural drilling 16x16/7x57R with .22 mag insert barrel and Kahles 3-9 scope in claw mounts. I can hunt anything in our province with that combination. Handles like a lively birdgun and has the precision of a good rifle. It would be interesting to take this gun on an African hunt some day and really see how versatile it is.
It was a good morning, and made even better when my wife and a buddy joined me to drag the deer out of the bush. We had venison tenderloins for supper and a grouse stir fry for lunch. Life is good!

IMG_5355.jpg
IMG_5347.jpg
IMG_5353.jpg
 
Congrats on the good day! Thanks for sharing! Nice buck!!!
 
Congrats on the buck and that is one very interesting gun.
 
Just had a hunter here in South Africa with a combo in a .22 Hornet and a 12 Ga. Awesome little tool. Congrats on the buck!
 
Life is good. Congrats on some smooth shooting.
 
great day
like the sound of that gun
be handy stalking , bush buck and blue duiker at takeri
 
Real bull-neck on that buck, nice clean 5x5! Congrats!
 
Nice! Drillings are so nice when you have a variety of game.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
70,272
Messages
1,571,202
Members
169,274
Latest member
VilmaKorne
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt Meister
480-410-1594
azklmsr462@gmail.com

have a great evening
autofire wrote on ThinAirHunter's profile.
I think forum prohibits making reference or giving personal references to PH/Outfitters that don't advertise on this forum.

But you can call me. I would be happy to discuss Cape Buffalo .

Bob 813-310-6992
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
 
Top