9.3x62 load

Based on your posing I could tell you are a very experienced reloader, like you I have been reloading for a long time. I am always cautious to make sure that folks understand the pressures that rounds are running at because I witnessed 2 guys blow up rifles based on not being cognisant of what they were doing and were unsafe. (Both were hurt, one lost a eye)

I have loaded to the levels you are talking in a CZ and a ruger. Both my current 9.3'x62 are built on a mauser actions Parker hale and a VZ 24. and have no problems with that level pressures but I get the best accuracy with a little less Grunt. I just worry about a new guy with a old husky or soft 98 action running into problems.

RL-17 is a wonderful powder in the 9.3 and as you said best velocity with the lowest pressures.

So shoot allot, shoot straight, shoot some big stuff and have fun

Thanks mate, I get a bit defensive sometimes. I remember getting load advice for my first 9.3 in 2004 guys we’re settling for 2200fps with 286gn & going to 2400fps was crazy.. As you know those loads I spoke of torque my 8.5lb Mauser around plenty & it bumps a bit, but I love it. A bit of starting velocity helps expansion at beyond 200yds where many of my shots occur.
I hope you are getting plenty of chances to use your rifles!!

Alaska
I'm using cfe223 in my Whelen. Outstanding velocity and accurate.
I get 2,700fps using Speer hotcore 250grn. This is with Speer reloading site of 64gn cfe223 in the Whelen.
You m at want to check the Speer reloading site
Cheers
Bob

I reckon cfe would go well in 9.3 as well Bob, certainly cranks up the Whelen!

Last edited by a moderator:
@metricman My load data pressures are an estimate from quick load, I have compared the quick load pressures to actual pressure readings that come from pressure testing equipment (Wish I had that equipment) and they are close. Understanding that you must follow good loading practices and watch for pressure signs that there will be some small variations. If you tell me the bullets you are interested in I can run them and get you the data. also If you are interested in the article that @Laurie Colgrave and I spoke about I will give you a link. Laurie, this forum is great for our ability to share ideas and experiences. I bet that the 320's in your 8.5lb mauser have a bit of push to them. I have been following Bob's articles for a number of years and bought a throating reamer for my 45/70 and built a #1 for a couple years on his 45/70 improved idea. That rifle made sure my fillings weren’t loose. later rebarreled it to a 500 NE as a gift to a good friend.

when you consider all the other costs involved in a hunt, and the preparation and thought that goes into it, good bullets are cheap.
a "bang-flop kill" makes it all worth while.
here in oz guys have a definite aversion to expensive bullets, and just keep using the cheapest they can get.
they have never seen the difference a good bullet makes.
there is a saying about people who keep doing the same thing and expecting different results and it alludes to their intellect.
bruce.
Bruce
I'm one of the the cheap asses that use conventional cup and core for most of my shooting. I can't see the sense in spending 90 dollars a box of 50 accubonds for shooting pig and goats when a 66 dollars a hundred hornaday will do the same job on them.
Yes for deer I'll use the accubonds as I don't shoot as many.
BTW the pigs and goats are bang flop with the cheaper bullets.
Cheers mate Bob

bob, I fully agree.
but camels and cattle respond better to better bullets.
also fire eaters like the 7mm stw become more versatile with better bullets due to close range performance.
it is easy to overlook cup and core bullets if you get too carried away.
bruce.

Big Game seems to work best at the upper end of the pressure curve. I tried it with NAB, and deviation from high to low was as much as about 65 or 70 fps. I'm told by Mule Deer over at 24CF that Big Game works best with 286 and 300. That's what I'm working on right now, as a matter of fact. Partitions for the moment, but later this year, I'll start working on A-Frame 300s.

I don't know if I've mentioned it on this thread or not, but I'm just below the max on Alliant Power Pro 2000 MR and the Hornady 286. Getting about 2420, +/- 11 fps. Not sure why I'm working on Partitions since that load will take anything in North America with plenty of room to spare.
SGT Zim
Just ran some loads thru load from a disc using cfe223
250 grains between 2,600 and a bit over 2,700fps depending on bullet.
286 grain 2,400 to 2,500 fps
The massive 320grain woodleigh is at 2,300 fps. That should provide all the penetration and oomph that is needed for most DG
Cheers mate Bob.

I see a number of loads for the Nosler accubond. Early in the life of this bullet I had three failures to expand. Two on bear at 225 and 300, and one on Zebra at 75. In each case the animal showed no sign of a hit. Upon recovery we found that in each case the animal was hit perfectly but the exit hole was the same size as the entry, zero expansion. I heard that this was a common problem but that Nosler changed the jacket design and terminal performance is much better. Does anyone have recent experience with the bullet that indicates that this is the case? I like the look of the accubond for my 9.3 but I’m a little leery of trying it again.
WAB
20200123_133438.jpg

225grain accubonds out of my Kudu in a 35 Whelen impact velocity of 2,600+fps. Hit him front on bullet traveled to the rear ham. Over 5 and a half feet of penetration.

Reactions: WAB
bob, I fully agree.
but camels and cattle respond better to better bullets.
also fire eaters like the 7mm stw become more versatile with better bullets due to close range performance.
it is easy to overlook cup and core bullets if you get too carried away.
bruce.
Bruce
If I'm going after camel I'll use accubonds and woodleigh projectiles, for scrubber and buff is step up to the 275gn PP Woodleigh or the 310 SN Woodleigh.. I agree mate horses for courses.
Cheers mate Bob

SGT Zim
Just ran some loads thru load from a disc using cfe223
250 grains between 2,600 and a bit over 2,700fps depending on bullet.
286 grain 2,400 to 2,500 fps
The massive 320grain woodleigh is at 2,300 fps. That should provide all the penetration and oomph that is needed for most DG
Cheers mate Bob.

do not overlook the 300 gn swift as well.
bruce.

As much as my rule is: One load/rifle...?

This new 9.3x62 is getting a handful, to be handloaded to target velocities of:

- 286 gr. Swift A-Frame @ 2400 fps.
- 285 gr. Norma Oryx @ 2420 fps.
- 286 gr. Hdy SP-RP @ 2380 fps.
- 270 gr. Speer Hot-Cor @ 2420 fps.

Which should give all of them a 3" rise (scoped) for a 200 yd. zero, and a hair under 12" drop at 300.

(Would like to also add a 250 gr. Barnes TSX @ 2400 fps as well, for the same trajectory, if some become available)

Red
Red devil
CFE 223 will give the 250 grain Barnes ttsx 2,600+ fps using a MAX LOAD of 61 grains.
Cheers mate Bob

do not overlook the 300 gn swift as well.
bruce.
Bruce moulds
I will always overlook the swift but only because of the price, 135 dollars Australian for 50 280gn A frames. If I need that much penetration I would go with a 225grain Woodleigh hydrostatic at 2,900 fps. That should ream a brontosauras out from end to end.
Cheers mate Bob

@metricman My load data pressures are an estimate from quick load, I have compared the quick load pressures to actual pressure readings that come from pressure testing equipment (Wish I had that equipment) and they are close. Understanding that you must follow good loading practices and watch for pressure signs that there will be some small variations. If you tell me the bullets you are interested in I can run them and get you the data. also If you are interested in the article that @Laurie Colgrave and I spoke about I will give you a link. Laurie, this forum is great for our ability to share ideas and experiences. I bet that the 320's in your 8.5lb mauser have a bit of push to them. I have been following Bob's articles for a number of years and bought a throating reamer for my 45/70 and built a #1 for a couple years on his 45/70 improved idea. That rifle made sure my fillings weren’t loose. later rebarreled it to a 500 NE as a gift to a good friend.

I am slightly out of touch with the technology associated with reloading. My process is about establishing a base then working forward/ up & noting muzzle blast/ recoil during firing as well as bolt lift, case, primer/primer pocket variation after firing. Only moving forward when all of these are ok! Hot loads are very noticeable when firing a different noise & recoil! I do appreciate the input of those with more knowledge than my own, thank you!

@Red Devil

Would it be worth considering the 250gr Accubond? Bit faster and flatter.

I'm going to try the 250gr Accubond with Lovex S062 which I understand is quite close to IMR 4046. Should leave the muzzle a bit over 2,500 FPS and not shed velocity too quickly as relatively slippery.

Now if only Sierra would make their Gameking bullet at about 250gr that would be interesting too.

Scrummy

I load the 250gr Accubonds to 2560 fps with Norma 203B (basically Reloader 15) - very accurate. There’s more velocity available but I can’t really see the point of chasing another 50fps.

I would highly endorse the German RWS brand 286 grain soft nose bullet for your 9.3x62 mm Mauser calibre rifle .

Ah, Major Khan, how I lament RWS no longer making the Teil - Mantel (aka T-Mantel) bullet! Was my favourite for wild boar. Sadly RWS are very much moving towards fancier lead bullets and mono-metals, with the T-Mantel not being found in many RWS factory loadings anymore

I load the 250gr Accubonds to 2560 fps with Norma 203B (basically Reloader 15) - very accurate. There’s more velocity available but I can’t really see the point of chasing another 50fps.

Hearties, that's roughly where I'm looking to be. Although 2,500 fps is hardly screaming fast, it is a lot faster than most of the factory 285gr loads at ~2,300 FPS with a much less aerodynamic bullet ;)

Ah, Major Khan, how I lament RWS no longer making the Teil - Mantel (aka T-Mantel) bullet! Was my favourite for wild boar. Sadly RWS are very much moving towards fancier lead bullets and mono-metals, with the T-Mantel not being found in many RWS factory loadings anymore
1st they take away my precious Winchester Silvertip .
Then , they take away my RWS T Mantel .
I feel so out dated .

On a more serious note , in that case ... I will recommend the 286 grain Norma Orynx soft point cartridges.

Major Khan, the Oryx is what I use currently ;)

Though not sure if it is as flexible if something like a roe (small deer) steps out - thinking Oryx might be a bit hard in that case

Scrummy

PS - my father who started his hunting in Maun, Botswana laments the demise of Winchester's Silvertip so you are not alone

Hearties, that's roughly where I'm looking to be. Although 2,500 fps is hardly screaming fast, it is a lot faster than most of the factory 285gr loads at ~2,300 FPS with a much less aerodynamic bullet ;)

Agreed. I plan on the 285gr Oryx for short range on heavier game in the Bushveld. Again - using Norma 203B for 2420fps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VenusPined

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross