9.3 S.A. Wildcat

yumastepside

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
ssaa
I'm looking for a website or some information on a wildcat cartridge I saw online once......and now can't find :Rage:....It was a South African bloke who put a 9.3 into some big case and fitted it in a P14/M17 action. I think it was a S.A. gunsmithing company and they were advertising it as a proprietry cartridge. ?????????

Roger

roger,
probably not this but could be.
goebells or himler had made a 404 necked down to 9.3mm.
it has taken on a small following in s.a.,, but can't remember what they call it.
it would be a mean machine.
bruce.

Harrold Wolf's Hatari has an article on the 9.3x70. This was the cartridge Gobbel's rifle was chambered for. (Do not think I spelled his name correctly). Rifle was built by Mauser either pre World War II or during the war. The rifle had interesting folding "claws" out near the front end of the stock, one on each side, intended to hook into a tree while the rifle was shouldered to allow a steadier aim.

I will dig out the Harari with the article if you are interested.

I built a rifle chambered for a .358 on a 404 case years ago and have the chamber reamer and dies I made with the reamer. With a 9.3 pilot bushing (which I have) a 9.3 barrel could be chambered with this reamer and the chamber would have to be throated with a 9.3 throater reamer. I may do this as I have a 28 inch 9.3 barrel waiting for a project. And a 9.3x62 reamer that could be used as a throater.

I did make a set of 9.3x70 dies this way just for fun and in anticipation of building a 9.3x70. This was done way back before the 9.3x62 became popular in the US with the resulting availability of cheap US made bullets. The top die is the resize die and has a bushing type neck sizer, the bushing is interchangeable to allow fitting the cases to the chamber

enhance

Attachments

• enhance.jpg
    enhance.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
Thanks for the reply John, but it wasn't something built that far back.I saw the website within the last ten years or so and it had a fairly long case as they showed how they had modified an Enfield action to make it fit. It was called something like....the 9,3 Impala....or something similar, it was a very African name.....they say the memory is the first thing to go :E Sad:

Roger......I think

Found it!!......Damn, my memory is bad...its actually by a Maine, USA gunsmith.....the 366 DGW, a necked down Rigby case.

Roger :sleep:

Better put a tough bullet in front of that load, it’ll be screaming fast.

Apparently so Phil, 3250fps with a 250gr, 3020 with a286 and 2900 with a 300 grainer. I was actually more interested in his action modifications than the cartridge...

Roger

Found it!!......Damn, my memory is bad...its actually by a Maine, USA gunsmith.....the 366 DGW, a necked down Rigby case.

Roger :sleep:

Hey great! Send me the link. I have a back burner thought of building a ultra long range rifle using the 28 inch 9.3 barrel I have, the 416 Rigby case certainly would make a high B.C. .366 bullet fly!

high b.c. 9.3mm bullet that also holds together at those speeds?
what is available?
the 286 gn barnes would be deadly at that speed, but recoil would be something to contemplate.
bruce.

Members, any update on this conversation? John P did you complete the rifle build in the 9.3x70? Please be so kind as to give some feedback on this discussion??

Harrold Wolf's Hatari has an article on the 9.3x70. This was the cartridge Gobbel's rifle was chambered for. (Do not think I spelled his name correctly). Rifle was built by Mauser either pre World War II or during the war. The rifle had interesting folding "claws" out near the front end of the stock, one on each side, intended to hook into a tree while the rifle was shouldered to allow a steadier aim.

I will dig out the Harari with the article if you are interested.

I built a rifle chambered for a .358 on a 404 case years ago and have the chamber reamer and dies I made with the reamer. With a 9.3 pilot bushing (which I have) a 9.3 barrel could be chambered with this reamer and the chamber would have to be throated with a 9.3 throater reamer. I may do this as I have a 28 inch 9.3 barrel waiting for a project. And a 9.3x62 reamer that could be used as a throater.

I did make a set of 9.3x70 dies this way just for fun and in anticipation of building a 9.3x70. This was done way back before the 9.3x62 became popular in the US with the resulting availability of cheap US made bullets. The top die is the resize die and has a bushing type neck sizer, the bushing is interchangeable to allow fitting the cases to the chamber

enhance
John P are there custom dies available from you to purchase , ??? I am in need to build the 9.3x70 caliber rile, since I want to build all caliber based on the 404 Jeffery brass as donor cases design. The 404 Jeffery being the Parent case..

Well my apologies for being away so long, it has been an uphill battle. Prostate cancer, kidneys failing, a week in the hospital, followed by cancer treatment with both drugs and the dreaded radiation treatment. Finally, the cancer is gone thanks to the "Star Wars" radiation machine. Now in line for knee replacement, but at least I can hobble around the shop!

Taking inventory of the shop now and downsizing, just too much stuff in the way. Found my 8x68S rifle components, along with two 9.3x62 projects, a 450 Ackley (BBK Action) and a few more. First on the list is a iron sighted 9,3x62 with 24 inch LW barrel. I have everything, just got to get busy and do it.

Simmering on the stove is the 9.3x70 project, I want to build a rifle with 27 inch barrel (Which I have) and return to die making. I have a three reamer set ordered (rougher, resizer, and finisher) so I can return to making dies. And about a hundred pounds of 12L14 steel for making the dies. (Thinking about 1" diameter dies). I have Harald Wolf's article on the Goering rifle which includes lots of build photos and Load Data.

At least my retirement years are busy and I will not be bored!

Hey great! Send me the link. I have a back burner thought of building a ultra long range rifle using the 28 inch 9.3 barrel I have, the 416 Rigby case certainly would make a high B.C. .366 bullet fly!
I only know of 3 bullets with a BC over .4 in .366

Hornady 286 gr: .41
Nosler Accubond 250 gr: .494
Hammer Shockhammer 258 gr: .43 or so

That would be a sweet cartridge in a ruger no 1, what twist barrel would you suggest for it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MattieHayw

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,