8.5 # 375 H&H

would like to find or have built an 8.5 # 375 HH . Tried a couple of gunsmiths but if I choose a CZ for instance the rifle with scope et al will weigh more and likely will be around 11#. I want a rifle that will weigh no more then 8.5 with a 1x4 scope and mount. Can it be done? How can it be done?
Thanks.

Back when I was guiding for buffalo here in Aus I had a Remmington 700 mountain rifle in .375 which was a loaner for clients wishing to travel without firearms.
It was around the 8 - 8.5lbs mark including a Leupy 1.5 - 5 scope.
This rifle was sued by clients to take around 40+ bulls over the years with complete satisfaction. I addition to that I used the rifle myself to take several dozen feral cattle bulls and well as numerous cull buffalo.

Even though it was not my preferred manufacturer I loved hunting with that rifle.
Easy to shoot and carry, light and portable was VERY good especially when carrying meat out from some distant remote location.

These days if I couldn't buy a 8 - 8.5lb .375 off the shelf I would collect the necessary components and have it put together by a gunsmith.

There is very little in the hunting world more useful and versatile than a portable, light-weight .375 stoked with T.S.X's.

Thank you all for your info.

PAULT, what weight tsx s are you using. Thanks

I found that the slightly lighter and faster 270gn an excellent and consistent performer. If you know that you will be hunting at ranges of 70yds and less then there are no flies on the 300gn either.
Personally my preference is the lighter bullet.

Hey, Paul, that’s the magic of TSX! I found 270 grain Woodleigh softs to be far from ideal on big buffalo so switched to 300 grain Woodleigh HD softs.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-11-10 at 8.25.47 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-10 at 8.25.47 AM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 100
For those looking for just a bit more punishment, how about a 7.5# 404 Jeffery?

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/786942980

My .500 MDM Ultra mag fires a 450gn, .50 cal brass projectile at 2450fps and weighs 8.5lbs field ready. It is totally comfortable to shoot and a joy to carry whilst hunting.

A big bore does not need to weigh 12lbs to be shootable it just needs to be stocked correctly.

I would just ask why this 8.5 pound limit is so important? Ah, you say that carrying that extra pound or so is a daunting proposition? I would ask how far any of us really packs a rifle around these days? It seem to be in a vehicle, on an atv or horse more than in our hands lately, no? When I was in my 20's & 30's I hunted elk in central Idaho's steep Frank Church country with an 8 pound rifle. It was great to carry, I do say. Then I acquired a .375, one of the first "new/old controlled round feed" M70's when they first came out in 1989. They were available out of the custom shop only at that time, and after I decided on a 25" barrel cut and banded front sight and what not, it ended up weighing just a hair under 10 pounds with scope, sling and full magazine. I just had to use it! So naturally an elk was about all on my hunting schedule back then that wasn't a lot of over kill for the caliber. Man did I find out fast how much smoother and quicker I could bring that 10 lb rifle into action when I got huffing and puffing up and down those hills! And the older I get, the better the sight picture looks (read that - not wobbly) when I throw it up to my shoulder. I have made some of my best offhand shots with that rifle - it just comes up and is rock steady, even with my old lungs working against me. So, I learned a long time ago to find a different pound or so of gear to leave in camp when I was afoot all day. And as far as actually shooting it....That 8 pound 30-06 jabs me fast and hard and is less pleasant to shoot than the 10 pound .375 H&H. They both have almost identical trajectories btw. So, I tend to shoot my .375 frequently and thus always feel comfortable and confident with it. I have found confidence in how you can shoot your firearm (especially the bigger bores) helps immensely when you are actually firing at game. Anyway, I sure don't begrudge you your 8.5 pound .375 H&H. They make all flavor of things to satisfy our varied desires. Just throwing another opinion in the pool of thought. I just hope you get to take what ever you end up with to Africa somewhere and shoot something with it! Good luck.
I've found the same thing with my 11 lb CZ550 with Leupold VX5 scope. I also found using a doubled sling of saddle leather more effective than a soft wide sling to reduce perceived weight when carrying.

My .500 MDM Ultra mag fires a 450gn, .50 cal brass projectile at 2450fps and weighs 8.5lbs field ready. It is totally comfortable to shoot and a joy to carry whilst hunting.

A big bore does not need to weigh 12lbs to be shootable it just needs to be stocked correctly.
I’m not too proud to admit that I ain’t man enough for that.
At least not yet.

I’m not too proud to admit that I ain’t man enough for that.
At least not yet.

BeeMaa, it has nothing to do with being man enough.

I have had several people who have never fired anything bigger than a .22 rimfire hitting water jugs with my .500 at 50yds and enjoying it.
Shooting off-hand or off sticks it certainly recoils, no doubt about that, but nothing severe. Anyone with any modicum of shooting/rifle handling skills can adapt in no time.
Sighting in or testing loads off the bench is another matter !

BeeMaa, it has nothing to do with being man enough.

I have had several people who have never fired anything bigger than a .22 rimfire hitting water jugs with my .500 at 50yds and enjoying it.
Shooting off-hand or off sticks it certainly recoils, no doubt about that, but nothing severe. Anyone with any modicum of shooting/rifle handling skills can adapt in no time.
Sighting in or testing loads off the bench is another matter !
Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I'll stick with the Dirty Harry saying..."A man's got to know his limitations".
I'm having a blast (literally) shooting my 375 off sticks preparing for an upcoming hunt.
Not sure I could afford to even cover the cost of the reloads for your 500.

Sighting in...it just sucks.
Besides being punished by recoil, it's more like work than a fun day shooting...but still better than going to actual work.
Cheers.

My CZ in 500 Jeffery weighs 11.25 lbs and our Rem XCR II in 375 Weatherby Magnum weighs under 8 lbs with scope. I wouldn't want either one lighter both feel just right, enough recoil to get your attention but not punishing.

Dakota 76 Classic .375 H&H 23" Barrel
Blued / Walnut
7 lb 12 oz

Cabela's in Wheeling WV (Ref#7882844) has a very nice pre-owned in the Gun Library they are asking $4,995 for. They usually pay around 70% so you should be able to negotiate $4,000 to $4,500.

Leupold VX2 1-4x20
8 oz (Out of Production but they are still out there NIB if you look).

Leaves 4 oz for lightweight mounts.

Last edited:
2L8
Been looking for a leupold 1x4 with no luck. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DelbertBat

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross