8.5 # 375 H&H

Discussion in '.375 & Up' started by Luvthunt, Sep 15, 2018.

1. Luvthunt

Luvthunt AH Veteran

would like to find or have built an 8.5 # 375 HH . Tried a couple of gunsmiths but if I choose a CZ for instance the rifle with scope et al will weigh more and likely will be around 11#. I want a rifle that will weigh no more then 8.5 with a 1x4 scope and mount. Can it be done? How can it be done?
    Thanks.

2. meigsbucks

meigsbucks AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, NRA
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe and Namibia
    The Browning X-bolt is a light weight that with scope would come out to be around your desired weight. The Sako Kodiak with scope may be another option but might be a little higher than your target weight with optics. There is also the Weatherby Vanguard that would come close to your weight limit.
    My .375 is a Sako LV Lightweight Hunter that come in at 8lbs 9oz with a 1.75-6x Leupold scope. You may be able to find one of these on the used gun market. (And NO... Mine's not for sale).
    By the way, some may say recoil will be high with a rifle that light. It is a little, but not offensive. Just shot 18 full power loads off the bench with it last week while working on a new load, with no ill effects.

WAB likes this.

3. Nkawu

Nkawu AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    KZN Hunting Shooting & Conservation
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Zimbabwe, Sweden
    Not an H&H but the Ruger Hawkeye African is 8lbs.

1dirthawker likes this.

4. cpr0312

cpr0312 AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member
    Hunted:
    US (All over), New Zealand, South Africa(Northern Cape, Northwest), Zimbabwe
    Kimber's Talkeetna is 7 lb 12 oz out of the box. With scope and mounts you can be in for maybe low to mid 9 lb range

WAB likes this.

5. BeeMaa

BeeMaa AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, SCI
    Hunted:
    Eastern US
    375 Ruger Hawkeye FTW Hunter comes in at 7.8# and the Guide Gun at 8.1#.

I know it's not a 375H&H, but I thought it could be another option trying to keep the weight down.

6. Red Leg

Red Leg AH ENABLER LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
    Hunted:
    Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
    My Blaser R8 with sporter barrel and “classic” stock is exactly that weight.

ve7poi likes this.

7. Anthony George

Anthony George AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Remy 700 DG
    Winchester M70

If building, paying close attention to barrel dimensions, Knox length and Diam and esp profile and taper etc can reduce a lot of weight
    Choice of stock as well

8. colorado

colorado AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    If you don't mind a push feed, the Rem XCR II comes in under 8 lbs with Talley QR rings and a Leupold 1.5-5x scope. BTW got rid of those ugly nickel plated rings for stainless CeraKoted ones after the hunt.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2018
    1dirthawker, Rick Cox and Ridgewalker like this.

9. TOBY458

TOBY458 AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Mine weighs 8 lbs 8oz with a Leupold 3-9×40 scope in steel rings and bases. It's only 8lbs 6oz with a Leupold 1.5-5×20 im the same rings and bases.

10. TOBY458

TOBY458 AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    My Sako Kodiak weighs 9lbs exactly with a Leupold 2-7×32 scope and steel optiloc rings.

11. Milehighshooter

Milehighshooter AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Winchester Classic M70 in any 30-06 based cartridge. Have it rebored to 375 (225 shipped from Jesse in Oregon) cut down to 23.5" or left at 22" if that's what the gun has, then open up the bolt face, replace the magazine/ follower with factory spares from Midwest Gunworks, and either buy a new bolt stop on an auction (i paid 20 bucks) or have a smith alter the factory.

Your stock will easily make the last difference on weight. Could be the most expensive part. Leupold x20mm of whatever flavor, and Bob's your uncle.

I think all in all this would run about the price of a brand new M70 or CZ550.

As well, I've got a M70 Classics in 300 Wby for sale in the classifieds, alk that would require is a re-barrel, or a rebore to 375 Wby and you can fire H&H rounds or just load it to H&H speeds. Ive even got 375 Wby dies I could throw in. Food for thought

12. Ray B

Ray B AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    I have a Win M70 that weighs 9# 6 oz. this is with steel base/rings, Leupold 6x42mm scope and an Oregon BlackWalnut stock. The barrel is 24" medium taper by CP Donnelly. There is enough extra weight that if desired it is entirely possible to trim it down to 8# even. though I think it wouldn't be particularly pleasant to shoot; but it is entirely possible for you to get a 8,5# 375H&H.

13. Luvthunt

Luvthunt AH Veteran

Thank you all, a lot to think about before deciding.

14. Arctic97

Arctic97 AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, NRA
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Alaska, Idaho, Wyoming, Michigan, Missouri, California
    I would just ask why this 8.5 pound limit is so important? Ah, you say that carrying that extra pound or so is a daunting proposition? I would ask how far any of us really packs a rifle around these days? It seem to be in a vehicle, on an atv or horse more than in our hands lately, no? When I was in my 20's & 30's I hunted elk in central Idaho's steep Frank Church country with an 8 pound rifle. It was great to carry, I do say. Then I acquired a .375, one of the first "new/old controlled round feed" M70's when they first came out in 1989. They were available out of the custom shop only at that time, and after I decided on a 25" barrel cut and banded front sight and what not, it ended up weighing just a hair under 10 pounds with scope, sling and full magazine. I just had to use it! So naturally an elk was about all on my hunting schedule back then that wasn't a lot of over kill for the caliber. Man did I find out fast how much smoother and quicker I could bring that 10 lb rifle into action when I got huffing and puffing up and down those hills! And the older I get, the better the sight picture looks (read that - not wobbly) when I throw it up to my shoulder. I have made some of my best offhand shots with that rifle - it just comes up and is rock steady, even with my old lungs working against me. So, I learned a long time ago to find a different pound or so of gear to leave in camp when I was afoot all day. And as far as actually shooting it....That 8 pound 30-06 jabs me fast and hard and is less pleasant to shoot than the 10 pound .375 H&H. They both have almost identical trajectories btw. So, I tend to shoot my .375 frequently and thus always feel comfortable and confident with it. I have found confidence in how you can shoot your firearm (especially the bigger bores) helps immensely when you are actually firing at game. Anyway, I sure don't begrudge you your 8.5 pound .375 H&H. They make all flavor of things to satisfy our varied desires. Just throwing another opinion in the pool of thought. I just hope you get to take what ever you end up with to Africa somewhere and shoot something with it! Good luck.

Rick Cox, 1dirthawker and ve7poi like this.

15. Luvthunt

Luvthunt AH Veteran

Artic 97,
    Because I want one—no disrespect meant, but that is the reason.

I have a 10 1/2 # 375 —a 1949. M70. Needs to be retired as I bought it around 1955.

By the way picked up a Kimber 8400 Talkeetna 375 h&h. 7lb 10 oz.
    Kid in a candy store.

Thanks to all who responded.

TOBY458 likes this.

16. Rick Cox

Rick Cox AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, British Colombia Ca.
    Nice bear.

17. colorado

colorado AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Thanks, better picture not to hijack the thread

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2018
    Ridgewalker and Milehighshooter like this.

18. rnovi

rnovi AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, SCI, more I'm sure to come
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Texas, Alaska - hey, they count. Trust me!
    My 20" .375 H&H Montana 1999, with a replacement B&C stock (vs. the Lam stock it came with) topped with Talley Lightweights and a VX6 1-6x #4 e-dot tips at 8# 1 oz empty. With the Lam stock it's 9.5#.

That B&C is one ugly stock...but it soaks up the recoil wonderfully and the 8# weight (scoped, empty) is heaven. Like you, I wanted a lightweight .375 H&H that I could carry. A lot. I got it...

But damn, it's one ugly gun. :eek:

19. rnovi

rnovi AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, SCI, more I'm sure to come
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Texas, Alaska - hey, they count. Trust me!
    Correction - 8#, 8oz. I just reweighed it.

20. ChrisG

ChrisG BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NAHC, NRA, Rocky Mtn. Elk Foundation.
    Hunted:
    USA, Canada
    The Ruger Hawkeye African is 7.8lbs from the factory. That is chambered in .375 Ruger all the way up to .416 Ruger (For which it is too light by the way). So it is absolutely doable! I would say you are going to put up with a bit more punch on your end but it should be manageable with a proper stock fit. I would say go for it and post the pictures once you have it in hand! It should be a nice carrying rifle!