6.5 Creedmoor

The 6.5 mm bullets are a happy mathematical combination of high sectional density and ballistic coefficient. They buck the wind, hold velocity longer, and penetrate well........Obviously, I'm a big fan of the 6.5mm.

Welcome to AH 40inarow! Been through the exciting metropolis of Boerne several times.

Welcome to AH 40inarow! Been through the exciting metropolis of Boerne several times.
Thank you for the welcome! You have been to Boerne several times, you are well traveled!

My confession is that on my safari to Africa, I used the .338 Win mag and my wife used a 7x57. She just liked our Ruger No. 1A in 7x57 because it is short and balances well for her. We shot 9 animals and only one twice, it was an insurance shot. Great cartridges.

I still endorse 6.5 cartridges. Easy and fun to shoot, but excellent performance.

I think i saw something that his wife also shoots a 450/400 ;)
Mark Sullivan would tell you that's because "450/400 is a woman's gun". Sorry, I was just re-reading one of his books and made me think of that. I guess I shouldn't disparage the guy. He goes into battle with the animal on the animal's own... sorry...:E Rofl: I couldn't even finish that sentence. I've diverted this thread enough. Back to your regularly scheduled program.

Lenny AH member @Shootist43 collects 6.5 and swears by them. I had a friend in my hunting club some years ago that used only the 6.5 so that he could hit a deer in the neck and not waste any meat.
He collects 6.5x55 Swedish mausers.

40inarow, I have several friends that live in Boerne, and have been there several times. My wife and I really enjoy the restaurant with all the plates. I met them while their children were competing at the National Pistol Matches at Camp Perry Ohio as part of the Texas Junior Pistol Team. Now one of those "kids" who recently graduated from Texas Tech with a Masters in Mechanical Engineering is working for GM in my neck of the woods. He has been shooting with us for a little over a year now. It truthfully is a small world.

New video from Ron Spomer comparing 6.5 Creedmoor vs 270 Win

I picked up a Christian Arms in 6.5. Tack driver using Hornady ELD X 143 gr. Taking it to Sonora is 3 weeks for mulie and coues.

Whether or not a cartridge sells best or not is not relevant. What I'd like to know is what, if any, are the advantages of the 6.5 Creedmoor over the 26 Remington, particularly if both cartridges are loaded with the same care, bullet selection and pressures.
The advantage is you can buy factory ammo at any Gunshop or Big Box store. The 260 not so much. I have sold a couple hundred boxes of 6 .5 Creed this year but not one 260.

From my reading, there isn’t much difference. COL of both, 2.800”. The 6.5 however runs a couple thousand PSI higher than the 260. The 260 has a bit more case capacity, but a long bullet protrudes in to the powder making them almost identical. The 6.5 started with a faster twist than the 260 which stabilizes longer higher BC bullets. Thus less wind effect and greater stability.
Accuracy wise, that’s all up to the rifle and shooter.
They say if you have a good shooting 260, don’t waist your money getting a 6.5. Competitive shooters can go through lots of barrels, so when they burn out a 260, they seem to transition to the 6.5 partly because there are lots more options now for it. I have actually read the 6mm Creedmoor is beginning to push the 6.5 out a bit.

If interested, read the article at Starline Brass. Pretty complete. https://www.starlinebrass.com/media...r-guide-reloading-65-creedmoor-ballistics.pdf

Oops a bit long winded! Sorry.

Attachments

• complete-65-creedmoor-guide-reloading-65-creedmoor-ballistics.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 353
I love my 6.5. Took this deer this afternoon with it as a matter of fact.
2AF42DAE-F006-46F4-B1F3-EF0BEC05AAAC.jpeg
32BACD5E-575F-4191-85A5-A9EDF22C4F17.jpeg

New video from Ron Spomer comparing 6.5 Creedmoor vs 270 Win

Spomer is a bit long winded, but the video does help explain why the 6.5 CM works so well and became popular with the competitive crowd. Thanks for the link.

Love shooting mine - both the long range setup and the Tikka T3X.

It’s so interesting. We’ve had the Swede and the 7x57 for a hundred years but it took the creedmore to get folks interested in this class of cartridge. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a great cartridge, but in my mind it proves the power of marketing. I doubt it will do anything the Swede has not already done.

Last edited:
I have a 6.5 and it shoots and kills great. Any better than my 7mm/08? No. I think you could use the 6.5CM, 6.5x55, .260 and 7/08 for the rest of your life and never see a difference.
One thing that gets me about the proponents of the 6.5CM is they always compare it to other rounds when using high BC bullets like the 143 Hornady ELDX. The thing is when you use bullets like the Swift A-Frames, Barnes TSX and Nosler Partitions, the BC’s are more in line with the same bullets in 7mm or .30. So if you are hunting game larger than deer and use premium bullets, is there a real advantage to the 6.5?

I have a 6.5 and it shoots and kills great. Any better than my 7mm/08? No. I think you could use the 6.5CM, 6.5x55, .260 and 7/08 for the rest of your life and never see a difference.
One thing that gets me about the proponents of the 6.5CM is they always compare it to other rounds when using high BC bullets like the 143 Hornady ELDX. The thing is when you use bullets like the Swift A-Frames, Barnes TSX and Nosler Partitions, the BC’s are more in line with the same bullets in 7mm or .30. So if you are hunting game larger than deer and use premium bullets, is there a real advantage to the 6.5?

It’s real advantage may be the quality of rifles being built for it and the quality of ammo available. I have a friend at the top of the long range game. He loves his CM for mid range targets, which for him is out to 1200. Given like ammo and rifles, there are a number of calibers that would do just as well, the Swede being near the top of the list.

This is an extract from Midway's website. Listed are various 6.5mm and also included the 270. The number in parentheses is the number of different cartridges available. For a relatively new cartridge, the 6.5 CM has done quite well for itself.

I just sold my 6.5 CR this past week. A fellow member of AH really needed one and after using it for a while and taking a few critters with it, I have to say that I found no real world advantage to it in the realm of normal hunting ranges. I moved on to a 308 Win. and don't feel like I really gave anything up.
This is just me but when the gun goes bang and the animal goes flop, that's really all I'm concerned about.

I just sold my 6.5 CR this past week. A fellow member of AH really needed one and after using it for a while and taking a few critters with it, I have to say that I found no real world advantage to it in the realm of normal hunting ranges. I moved on to a 308 Win. and don't feel like I really gave anything up.
This is just me but when the gun goes bang and the animal goes flop, that's really all I'm concerned about.

It's an interesting and a fine caliber but nothing magical. Between the 270 Win, 7mm-08 and 280 Rem, not to mention the magnums I don't see an overwhelming need, but neither have I for the WSMs and various Ruger cartridges. Just a luddite I guess ...

This is an extract from Midway's website. Listed are various 6.5mm and also included the 270. The number in parentheses is the number of different cartridges available. For a relatively new cartridge, the 6.5 CM has done quite well for itself.

6.5x50 Japanese

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg