6.5 Creedmoor

Discussion in 'Up To .375' started by lwaters, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Ray B

Ray B AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Whether or not a cartridge sells best or not is not relevant. What I'd like to know is what, if any, are the advantages of the 6.5 Creedmoor over the 26 Remington, particularly if both cartridges are loaded with the same care, bullet selection and pressures.

2. ActionBob

ActionBob AH ENABLER SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA life, DSC, SCI
    Hunted:
    Minnesota, Texas, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, British Columbia, Argentina, Kansas, Macedonia, Austria
    I'm not a handloader yet so not sure what can be done... but if you look at the factory ballistics, and get out to 500+ yards, the 6.5 Creedmoor starts to outshine all other mild recoiling calibers. It carries its energy out to long distances with amszing efficiency. Furthermore, as i understand, it was designed to be an accurate long distant competition caliber. So most all those little things the real experts on ballistics talk about, are supposedly dealt with in the 6.5 Creedmoor. Like shoulder angle, etc.

jasyblood likes this.

3. lwaters

lwaters BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    Texas,Namibia,Kansas, Missouri, Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho, South Africa, New Zealand
    The advantage over the 260 is the creedmoor can have it bullets seated at different depths. Actually the 260 edges it a bit in velocity

4. Shootist43

Shootist43 AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA
    Hunted:
    Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
    Guys, while we are talking 6.5 (s) here, let's not forget that a properly loaded Swedish Mauser will toss a 140 Gr. bullet at 2775 FPS. At best, the newer 6.5 (s) are getting an additional 75 to 100 FPS. As far as accuracy goes, I doubt that the production barrels of today offer any great improvement over the 120 year old 6.5 x 55 Swedes. In my book, there just aren't enough plusses to entice me into purchasing one of the newer calibers.
    That being said I think you made a fine choice of rifles for your wife.

ChrisG likes this.

5. ChrisG

ChrisG AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NAHC, NRA, Rocky Mtn. Elk Foundation.
    Hunted:
    USA, Canada
    It's a nice cartridge! I honestly don't own one because I've always been completely in love with the 6.5X55. The creedmoor and the Swede are similar. The creedmoor is just a slightly shorter much higher pressure version of the Swede. I know there are people who have hunted with one out to beyond 600 yards but in all honesty, I believe that the standard velocity six-fives are really only truly effective, but more importantly, ethical hunting rounds to about 350 yards due to low remaining speed and small bullets. Inside that there is little that can match the massive effectiveness/penetration to recoil/blast ratio.

Quinton likes this.

6. ActionBob

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA life, DSC, SCI
    Hunted:
    Minnesota, Texas, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, British Columbia, Argentina, Kansas, Macedonia, Austria
    6.5 Creedmoor at 524 yards. 129 grain Hornady Interbond Superformance. If I remember correctly they are moving at 2950 at the muzzle.

IMG_4353.JPG

lwaters, BWH, Ridgewalker and 2 others like this.

7. cagkt3

cagkt3 AH ENABLER PLATINUM SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, SCI - West Texas Chapter, HSC, NRA Life Member, Ducks Unlimited
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Zimbabwe, OK, TX, UT, KS
    Love the 6.5, great little round.
    I bought my wife one in .270 - fits her pretty well (she's about 5'2") and she likes it a lot.

ChrisG and ActionBob like this.

8. RogerHeintzman

RogerHeintzman AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI (Sioux Falls, SD) RMEF, NWTF, NRA, NTA, BCSC, SDTA, NDTA, P&Y,
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe, New Zealand, Canada (Ontario,British Columbia,Manitoba), USA (Colorado,Montana,Wyoming,Texas,South Dakota), Africa(Limpopo,NW Province, East Cape, Kwazulu Natal,) Namibia x3,
    My Sako Big Game 6.5 creedmoor with Hornady Precison Hunter 143gr. shoots 7/8 MOA, I can do better with better rests.

ActionBob likes this.

9. BWH

BWH AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Ducks Unlimited, Texas Trophy Hunters, Trout Unlimited, SCI, DSC & NRA
    Hunted:
    USA & RSA
    I have a 6.5 Creed Tikka T3 with Zeiss glass. Wears a AAC Suppressor. According to Hillary, makes it more deadly. Slick rig

ActionBob likes this.

10. Ragman

Ragman AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Canada(Sask./B.C.), Namibia, RSA(Eastern Cape) USA(Texas)
    Just when I decide I need a 7mm-08, you guys start praising up this new 6.5 Creedmore! Have mercy!

375 Ruger Fan, jasyblood and BWH like this.

11. BWH

BWH AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    USA & RSA
    You’ll love either or both.... 6.5 will go out past any typical hunting situation. The 7.08 is very deadly & light recoil.

ActionBob and Ragman like this.

12. jasyblood

jasyblood BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Dallas Safari Club
    Hunted:
    USA, RSA(Limpopo x 4, Eastern Cape x 1, Northern Cape x 1, Northwest x 2), Hungary, Serbia, Zimbabwe
    A buddy of mine bought his wife a 7mm-08 for her birthday this year. They came over a few weeks ago to sight it in and afterwards, she asked if she could shoot my creedmoor....now she has one of those too.

BWH, ActionBob and Ragman like this.

13. BWH

BWH AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    USA & RSA
    I guess that’s one reason to be glad a wife doesn’t hunt/shoot. Cost goes up 2x+

skizeldick and jasyblood like this.

14. RogerHeintzman

RogerHeintzman AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI (Sioux Falls, SD) RMEF, NWTF, NRA, NTA, BCSC, SDTA, NDTA, P&Y,
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe, New Zealand, Canada (Ontario,British Columbia,Manitoba), USA (Colorado,Montana,Wyoming,Texas,South Dakota), Africa(Limpopo,NW Province, East Cape, Kwazulu Natal,) Namibia x3,
    Boddington's wife and girls shoot the 7mm-08, or did.

15. Von Gruff

Von Gruff AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    New Zealand, Austaralia
    And lets not forget the 6.5x57 eiter. Mine will set the 139gn prive bullet alight at 2800fps and the 120gn ttsx at just on 3000fps.
    with either the aperture or 2-7 scope in the Talley qd base it is a joy to carry and use.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2017
    ChrisG and Velo Dog like this.

16. ActionBob

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA life, DSC, SCI
    Hunted:
    I think i saw something that his wife also shoots a 450/400 ;)

17. Sand Rat

Sand Rat AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Texas, Mississippi, Kansas, Botswana, Eastern Cape
    My wife shoots the Lady Hunter in 7-08, she' deadly accurate. Nothing but heart shots.

18. lwaters

lwaters BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    Texas,Namibia,Kansas, Missouri, Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho, South Africa, New Zealand
    I think the ceedmoor toke off so well is because I so far I have not heard anybody that didn't get great accuracy out of any make of rifle.

ActionBob and bilmcc like this.

19. 40inarow

40inarow New Member

Member of:
    NRA Life member, SCI, NSCA, NSSA, Central Texas Silhouette Assn., Texas State Rifle Assn., National Shooting Center
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Mexico, Canada, 12 states in USA
    The 6.5 mm bullets are a happy mathematical combination of high sectional density and ballistic coefficient. They buck the wind, hold velocity longer, and penetrate well.

As a silhoutte shooter way back we wildcatted the 7-08 as an alternative to the 308. I burned up a barrel of a 7-08 shooting 7500 rounds through it. I shot lots of game with it. Then I wildcatted the 6.5-08 because you could shoot 120gr at the 200, 300, and 385 meter targets and shoot 140gr at the 500 meter rams. The 140gr takes the rams down with less recoil than the 7-08. A .243 will not take the rams reliably. Remington then brought out the 7-08 and the .260 which is a 6.5-08. I currently have three rifles in .260 and have shot over 9000 rounds at targets and game.

When we were wildcatting, my buddy shot a 6.5x250 Savage, showing that there is not much new out there because it is basically the same as a 6.5 Creedmore. Other guys shot the 6.5x55 and the 6.5 BR. All these calibers perform the same out to 500 meters. Which is to say they are all great! Low recoil, great accuracy, and deadly on game.

Obviously, I'm a big fan of the 6.5mm. I would be happy with a 6.5 Creedmore, 6.5x55, or .260. As a handloader I like the .260 because brass is easy to get. I can use .243, 7-08, .308, or .260 brass. The 6.5 140gr bullet really penetrates. It blows through deer and hogs. If you buy a 6.5 be prepared, it will become a favorite!

20. sheephunterab

sheephunterab AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, Wild Sheep Foundation, AFGA
    Hunted:
    Tanzania, Namibia, South Africa, New Zealand, Australia, Azerbaijan, Kyrgyzstan, Argentina, Canada, USA, Russia
    It sells so well because its new. Will it kill animals any deader...hardly but new is fun and new sells. And it fits perfectly in a true short action without magazine issues with heavier weight bullets, something to consider when building a lightweight rifle. Ammo is also far more readily available for non handloaders.