6.5 Creedmoor

Whether or not a cartridge sells best or not is not relevant. What I'd like to know is what, if any, are the advantages of the 6.5 Creedmoor over the 26 Remington, particularly if both cartridges are loaded with the same care, bullet selection and pressures.

I'm not a handloader yet so not sure what can be done... but if you look at the factory ballistics, and get out to 500+ yards, the 6.5 Creedmoor starts to outshine all other mild recoiling calibers. It carries its energy out to long distances with amszing efficiency. Furthermore, as i understand, it was designed to be an accurate long distant competition caliber. So most all those little things the real experts on ballistics talk about, are supposedly dealt with in the 6.5 Creedmoor. Like shoulder angle, etc.

The advantage over the 260 is the creedmoor can have it bullets seated at different depths. Actually the 260 edges it a bit in velocity

Guys, while we are talking 6.5 (s) here, let's not forget that a properly loaded Swedish Mauser will toss a 140 Gr. bullet at 2775 FPS. At best, the newer 6.5 (s) are getting an additional 75 to 100 FPS. As far as accuracy goes, I doubt that the production barrels of today offer any great improvement over the 120 year old 6.5 x 55 Swedes. In my book, there just aren't enough plusses to entice me into purchasing one of the newer calibers.
That being said I think you made a fine choice of rifles for your wife.

It's a nice cartridge! I honestly don't own one because I've always been completely in love with the 6.5X55. The creedmoor and the Swede are similar. The creedmoor is just a slightly shorter much higher pressure version of the Swede. I know there are people who have hunted with one out to beyond 600 yards but in all honesty, I believe that the standard velocity six-fives are really only truly effective, but more importantly, ethical hunting rounds to about 350 yards due to low remaining speed and small bullets. Inside that there is little that can match the massive effectiveness/penetration to recoil/blast ratio.

6.5 Creedmoor at 524 yards. 129 grain Hornady Interbond Superformance. If I remember correctly they are moving at 2950 at the muzzle.

IMG_4353.JPG

Love the 6.5, great little round.
Has anyone looked into "The Lady Savage?" Supposedly its' stock is sized and dimensioned for women.
I bought my wife one in .270 - fits her pretty well (she's about 5'2") and she likes it a lot.

My Sako Big Game 6.5 creedmoor with Hornady Precison Hunter 143gr. shoots 7/8 MOA, I can do better with better rests.

I have a 6.5 Creed Tikka T3 with Zeiss glass. Wears a AAC Suppressor. According to Hillary, makes it more deadly. Slick rig

Just when I decide I need a 7mm-08, you guys start praising up this new 6.5 Creedmore! Have mercy!

You’ll love either or both.... 6.5 will go out past any typical hunting situation. The 7.08 is very deadly & light recoil.

Just when I decide I need a 7mm-08, you guys start praising up this new 6.5 Creedmore! Have mercy!
A buddy of mine bought his wife a 7mm-08 for her birthday this year. They came over a few weeks ago to sight it in and afterwards, she asked if she could shoot my creedmoor....now she has one of those too.

I guess that’s one reason to be glad a wife doesn’t hunt/shoot. Cost goes up 2x+

Boddington's wife and girls shoot the 7mm-08, or did.

Guys, while we are talking 6.5 (s) here, let's not forget that a properly loaded Swedish Mauser will toss a 140 Gr. bullet at 2775 FPS. At best, the newer 6.5 (s) are getting an additional 75 to 100 FPS. As far as accuracy goes, I doubt that the production barrels of today offer any great improvement over the 120 year old 6.5 x 55 Swedes. In my book, there just aren't enough plusses to entice me into purchasing one of the newer calibers.
That being said I think you made a fine choice of rifles for your wife.

And lets not forget the 6.5x57 eiter. Mine will set the 139gn prive bullet alight at 2800fps and the 120gn ttsx at just on 3000fps.
with either the aperture or 2-7 scope in the Talley qd base it is a joy to carry and use.
8HOsxkAl.jpg

XLCneh6l.jpg

Attachments

• 8HOsxkAl.jpg
    8HOsxkAl.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 169
  • XLCneh6l.jpg
    XLCneh6l.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 182
Last edited by a moderator:
Love the 6.5, great little round.

I bought my wife one in .270 - fits her pretty well (she's about 5'2") and she likes it a lot.
My wife shoots the Lady Hunter in 7-08, she' deadly accurate. Nothing but heart shots.

I think the ceedmoor toke off so well is because I so far I have not heard anybody that didn't get great accuracy out of any make of rifle.

The 6.5 mm bullets are a happy mathematical combination of high sectional density and ballistic coefficient. They buck the wind, hold velocity longer, and penetrate well.

As a silhoutte shooter way back we wildcatted the 7-08 as an alternative to the 308. I burned up a barrel of a 7-08 shooting 7500 rounds through it. I shot lots of game with it. Then I wildcatted the 6.5-08 because you could shoot 120gr at the 200, 300, and 385 meter targets and shoot 140gr at the 500 meter rams. The 140gr takes the rams down with less recoil than the 7-08. A .243 will not take the rams reliably. Remington then brought out the 7-08 and the .260 which is a 6.5-08. I currently have three rifles in .260 and have shot over 9000 rounds at targets and game.

When we were wildcatting, my buddy shot a 6.5x250 Savage, showing that there is not much new out there because it is basically the same as a 6.5 Creedmore. Other guys shot the 6.5x55 and the 6.5 BR. All these calibers perform the same out to 500 meters. Which is to say they are all great! Low recoil, great accuracy, and deadly on game.

Obviously, I'm a big fan of the 6.5mm. I would be happy with a 6.5 Creedmore, 6.5x55, or .260. As a handloader I like the .260 because brass is easy to get. I can use .243, 7-08, .308, or .260 brass. The 6.5 140gr bullet really penetrates. It blows through deer and hogs. If you buy a 6.5 be prepared, it will become a favorite!

Whether or not a cartridge sells best or not is not relevant. What I'd like to know is what, if any, are the advantages of the 6.5 Creedmoor over the 26 Remington, particularly if both cartridges are loaded with the same care, bullet selection and pressures.

It sells so well because its new. Will it kill animals any deader...hardly but new is fun and new sells. And it fits perfectly in a true short action without magazine issues with heavier weight bullets, something to consider when building a lightweight rifle. Ammo is also far more readily available for non handloaders.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsmaelMorg

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg