6.5 Creedmoor for Plains Game

seattlesetters

AH veteran
Reaction score
I’m planning to take my 6.5 Creedmoor to Southern Africa for Plains Game. Nothing larger than Kudu, mind you, and nothing tough than Zebra. I know it will do the job if I do make me.

But bullets. Mine likes almost everything but it REALLY likes the new 142 grain Nosler AccuBond Long Range bullets. It also digs the 143 grain Hornady ELD-X.

These are both hunting bullets that are specifically designed to perform on game in the Creedmoor from right off the muzzle to half a mile away and more.

I want to know if they are a good choice for medium, small and tiny African Plains Game.

Or, should I just roll with the 120 grain Barnes TTSX or 127 grain Barnes LRX? My rifle likes these, too. Thanks.

My first hunt, my buddy took his Savage in 6.5 CM. He used Hornady factory ammo, IIRC, 129 grain SSTs. He shot plains game up to gemsbok out to 200 yards with excellent results. He did practice quite a bit before going so was good on his shot placement. Having seen those results, I'd say at reasonable ranges with proper shot placement you'll be ok.

My first hunt, my buddy took his Savage in 6.5 CM. He used Hornady factory ammo, IIRC, 129 grain SSTs. He shot plains game up to gemsbok out to 200 yards with excellent results. He did practice quite a bit before going so was good on his shot placement. Having seen those results, I'd say at reasonable ranges with proper shot placement you'll be ok.
Umm...OK with what? Not trying to be a jerk but the new, heavy, high BC stuff or just stick to Barnes?

I like barnes and those 120 ttsx will do the job on all the animals you want to hunt. Those hornady will work also from what I have seen by the guys who use them. I use the barnes out of my 257 and all good quick kills so far.

142's from a 6.45! Karamojo Bell would approve. Fabulous BC and penetration. I would not consider anything lighter. Great PG load.

I’d go with the Barnes. Or, if you want to go factory, the Federal Premium Trophy Copper. I’ve had great success with that ammo in 308 and 300 Win Mag.

Umm...OK with what? Not trying to be a jerk but the new, heavy, high BC stuff or just stick to Barnes?
Shoot the bullet and rifle that gives you the most confidence. The 142 ABs are more than adequate. I am not a fan of any Barnes bullets. In my experience with them on the accuracy scale, they are at the bottom.

Reactions: lcq
Shoot the bullet and rifle that gives you the most confidence. The 142 ABs are more than adequate. I am not a fan of any Barnes bullets. In my experience with them on the accuracy scale, they are at the bottom.
My 6.5 Creedmoor puts the 127 Barnes LRX into one ragged hole with boring regularity. It shoots the 142 ABLR even better than that.

Please remember the ARE NOT NOSLER ACCUBOND BULLETS. They are the AccuBond Long Range, which is a different bullet.

Reactions: lcq
My 6.5 Creedmoor puts the 127 Barnes LRX into one ragged hole with boring regularity. It shoots the 142 ABLR even better than that.

You're good to go! Good luck on your hunt!

Last edited:
With all due respect, that has not been my experience. They do work better in some rifles than others though. My 30-06 1903 Springfield doesn't like them, but my Sako 85 270 WSM does as does my 35 Whelen (Nosler).

Just had a friend return from SA. Used his 6.5 Creed for everything with 142 Accubond LR. Shot Impala, 2 Blesbok, Springbok, Kudu, Baboon and Black wildebeest. shots out to 300 yds. Only animal that required more than 1 shot was the Black and that was due to poor shot placement. Still didn't go very far to finish it.

I’m planning to take my 6.5 Creedmoor to Southern Africa for Plains Game. Nothing larger than Kudu, mind you, and nothing tough than Zebra. I know it will do the job if I do make me.

Performance wise and bullets wise the 6.5CM would be great for all the animals you’re looking for as per above posts.

Please check with your Outfitter when you have decided which one to use, if he is happy with your choice. There are some legal minimum requirements depending on where and how the hunt will take place.

//Gus

Don’t overthink it. You have good bullets, adequate caliber, so go hunting

I would go with the heavier bullet for the species you mention. The rifle is accurate and you seem to be on the dot with the paper!! Go and have a blast....

Seeing this post come up again makes me want to try the 142 Gr ABLR and or the 143 Gr Nosler ELDX in my Swedish Mauser. I'm getting 2775 FPS with Partitions and I don't think the additional two or three grains of bullet weight will be much of a factor. Are there any other Swede "aficionados" out there that have tried these new bullets? If so, how did they perform?

Personally I would look at the regular Accubonds as well. The ABLR are a frangible.... I have read some less than glowing reviews. If you use the ABLR's be sure and hit behind the shoulder on not on it. I also like the Barnes bullets. They seem to preform best when ran fast. Slower speeds and softer tissue hits seem to be where people have problems with the Barnes bullets. Best of luck.
Bruce

My opinion, regular Accubonds (although superbly accurate) are too soft for kudu-size game.

Personally I would look at the regular Accubonds as well. The ABLR are a frangible.... I have read some less than glowing reviews. If you use the ABLR's be sure and hit behind the shoulder on not on it. I also like the Barnes bullets. They seem to preform best when ran fast. Slower speeds and softer tissue hits seem to be where people have problems with the Barnes bullets. Best of luck.
Bruce
Frangible at Creedmoor speeds?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briansmith4631

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois