6.5 Creedmoor for Plains Game

seattlesetters

AH veteran
Reaction score
I’m planning to take my 6.5 Creedmoor to Southern Africa for Plains Game. Nothing larger than Kudu, mind you, and nothing tough than Zebra. I know it will do the job if I do make me.

But bullets. Mine likes almost everything but it REALLY likes the new 142 grain Nosler AccuBond Long Range bullets. It also digs the 143 grain Hornady ELD-X.

These are both hunting bullets that are specifically designed to perform on game in the Creedmoor from right off the muzzle to half a mile away and more.

I want to know if they are a good choice for medium, small and tiny African Plains Game.

Or, should I just roll with the 120 grain Barnes TTSX or 127 grain Barnes LRX? My rifle likes these, too. Thanks.

Hogpatrol

Silver supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
Atglen Sportsmen's Club, NRA ,SCCFSA, Bridgeville Rifle & Pistol Club
Hunted
RSA, DE, NJ, PA, KS, TX, ME
My first hunt, my buddy took his Savage in 6.5 CM. He used Hornady factory ammo, IIRC, 129 grain SSTs. He shot plains game up to gemsbok out to 200 yards with excellent results. He did practice quite a bit before going so was good on his shot placement. Having seen those results, I'd say at reasonable ranges with proper shot placement you'll be ok.

seattlesetters

AH veteran
Reaction score
My first hunt, my buddy took his Savage in 6.5 CM. He used Hornady factory ammo, IIRC, 129 grain SSTs. He shot plains game up to gemsbok out to 200 yards with excellent results. He did practice quite a bit before going so was good on his shot placement. Having seen those results, I'd say at reasonable ranges with proper shot placement you'll be ok.
Umm...OK with what? Not trying to be a jerk but the new, heavy, high BC stuff or just stick to Barnes?

billc

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
united state- Co Nm Mt Wy Pa , canada ,mexico ,south africa- Northwest, Limpopo, freestste.Northern cape,East cape, namibia
I like barnes and those 120 ttsx will do the job on all the animals you want to hunt. Those hornady will work also from what I have seen by the guys who use them. I use the barnes out of my 257 and all good quick kills so far.

Red Leg

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
142's from a 6.45! Karamojo Bell would approve. Fabulous BC and penetration. I would not consider anything lighter. Great PG load.

Patton63

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
I’d go with the Barnes. Or, if you want to go factory, the Federal Premium Trophy Copper. I’ve had great success with that ammo in 308 and 300 Win Mag.

Hogpatrol

Silver supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
Hunted
Umm...OK with what? Not trying to be a jerk but the new, heavy, high BC stuff or just stick to Barnes?
Shoot the bullet and rifle that gives you the most confidence. The 142 ABs are more than adequate. I am not a fan of any Barnes bullets. In my experience with them on the accuracy scale, they are at the bottom.

Reactions: lcq

seattlesetters

AH veteran
Reaction score
Shoot the bullet and rifle that gives you the most confidence. The 142 ABs are more than adequate. I am not a fan of any Barnes bullets. In my experience with them on the accuracy scale, they are at the bottom.
My 6.5 Creedmoor puts the 127 Barnes LRX into one ragged hole with boring regularity. It shoots the 142 ABLR even better than that.

seattlesetters

AH veteran
Reaction score
Please remember the ARE NOT NOSLER ACCUBOND BULLETS. They are the AccuBond Long Range, which is a different bullet.

Reactions: lcq

Hogpatrol

Silver supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
Hunted
My 6.5 Creedmoor puts the 127 Barnes LRX into one ragged hole with boring regularity. It shoots the 142 ABLR even better than that.

You're good to go! Good luck on your hunt!

Last edited:

Rick Cox

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Armstrong Fish and Game Club
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, British Colombia Ca.
With all due respect, that has not been my experience. They do work better in some rifles than others though. My 30-06 1903 Springfield doesn't like them, but my Sako 85 270 WSM does as does my 35 Whelen (Nosler).

Graham Hunter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Alaska Canada US New Zealand Scotland South Africa Zimbabwe
Just had a friend return from SA. Used his 6.5 Creed for everything with 142 Accubond LR. Shot Impala, 2 Blesbok, Springbok, Kudu, Baboon and Black wildebeest. shots out to 300 yds. Only animal that required more than 1 shot was the Black and that was due to poor shot placement. Still didn't go very far to finish it.

Hunting Sailor

Silver supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SAHGCA
Hunted
South Africa, Sweden, Austria
I’m planning to take my 6.5 Creedmoor to Southern Africa for Plains Game. Nothing larger than Kudu, mind you, and nothing tough than Zebra. I know it will do the job if I do make me.

Performance wise and bullets wise the 6.5CM would be great for all the animals you’re looking for as per above posts.

Please check with your Outfitter when you have decided which one to use, if he is happy with your choice. There are some legal minimum requirements depending on where and how the hunt will take place.

//Gus

Mekaniks

Gold supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
SCI, RMEF
Hunted
AK, WY, WA, ID, FL, SD, TX, HI, South Africa- Northwest Province
Don’t overthink it. You have good bullets, adequate caliber, so go hunting

Bruce

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SAGA/ Cape Hunters/ SA Hunters Association
Hunted
Namibia/Zimbabwe/Zambia/ South Africa/ Botswana/ Tanzania
I would go with the heavier bullet for the species you mention. The rifle is accurate and you seem to be on the dot with the paper!! Go and have a blast....

Shootist43

Gold supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
Seeing this post come up again makes me want to try the 142 Gr ABLR and or the 143 Gr Nosler ELDX in my Swedish Mauser. I'm getting 2775 FPS with Partitions and I don't think the additional two or three grains of bullet weight will be much of a factor. Are there any other Swede "aficionados" out there that have tried these new bullets? If so, how did they perform?

gillettehunter

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Australia/NZ
Hunted
Namibia, Kyrgyzstan(2) South Africa(4) New Zealand Zambia(2)
Personally I would look at the regular Accubonds as well. The ABLR are a frangible.... I have read some less than glowing reviews. If you use the ABLR's be sure and hit behind the shoulder on not on it. I also like the Barnes bullets. They seem to preform best when ran fast. Slower speeds and softer tissue hits seem to be where people have problems with the Barnes bullets. Best of luck.
Bruce

postoak

Bronze supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Life member NRA
Hunted
U.S.A., R.S.A, Namibia
My opinion, regular Accubonds (although superbly accurate) are too soft for kudu-size game.

seattlesetters

AH veteran
Reaction score
Personally I would look at the regular Accubonds as well. The ABLR are a frangible.... I have read some less than glowing reviews. If you use the ABLR's be sure and hit behind the shoulder on not on it. I also like the Barnes bullets. They seem to preform best when ran fast. Slower speeds and softer tissue hits seem to be where people have problems with the Barnes bullets. Best of luck.
Bruce
Frangible at Creedmoor speeds?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
derickbailes

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.
Lkhntr wrote on Warpig602's profile.
On the vx6 2-12 what does the zl2 stand for?

Thanks, Oliver
bowjijohn wrote on AfricaHunting.com's profile.
Many thanks for re formatting my article for the forum

I served my time in both the bush and during the bush war

I hope it did it justice

Education is where it is at - without it the wild places are history

You - sir - are well placed to make a difference

J
Good morning friends

i‘ve taken to heart a suggestion to tell my story about a lion hunt 37 years ago. ‘I don’t know, but am thinking there are site rules as to posting and file type. Three of the four posts (chapters?) are done, I took time away from here to write up the story. I have a couple of photos too.

also, I’m going to dissemble the rifles and see if Butch may have signed them. I’ll let you know.