577's VC

Incorrect chamber sizes on more than one rifle....not a good thing making.it unsafe to use....
Some plain just dont regulate period.....

Problem with most people is that if they own something it just has to be good or the best....many examples of such....from cars, trucks, guns, boats etc. Etc.

You do realize, I hope, that Heym will build one with the exact barrel length you want.

.500 NE is my limit. Not necessarily because of recoil, but weight. I can't see myself lugging one miles and miles up and down the hills.
Well, neither could I at this point. "However, there was quite the write up here on a successful hunt, while the gentlemen brought his 4 Bore" ???

Mr. Sells, at Heym has been a wealth of information & a great deal of help through the past couple years respectively & still wouldn't rule it out. My biggest concern, for me personally, is the thought of the years to come given current affairs. "Build Time/Import"

Now, As what IvW just stated, A year wait & Importing are meaningless if your choice Firearm is problematic/dangerous/finicky to particular brass, etc?? idk.

Last edited:
Incorrect chamber sizes on more than one rifle....not a good thing making.it unsafe to use....
Some plain just dont regulate period.....
Lord ..

Well, I need a break from this Verney Carrona Virus, here's a couple pics, sorry.
Ceunturies.jpg

Mr. Sells, at Heym has been a wealth of information & a great deal of help through the past couple years respectively & still wouldn't rule it out. My biggest concern, for me personally, is the thought of the years to come given current affairs. "Build Time/Import"

Chris had my Heym double in my hands 6 months after I sent him a deposit. I would have had it at 5 months if not for Covid.

Chris had my Heym double in my hands 6 months after I sent him a deposit. I would have had it at 5 months if not for Covid.
Very well, I was under the impression, at least a year from now.
I'm off for a few days, I will try Heym tomorrow. I still wish I could see a real pic of the 577 89B.
I'm sure they can accommodate a photo, perhaps ..

"One Year", plus Import. Not to mention sitting on container ships for Months.... no deal.

Maybe ;

"One Year", plus Import. Not to mention sitting on container ships for Months.... no deal.

Maybe ;
They ship by air, not container ship. Also, even if it took a year that is very reasonable. You are not going to get a custom firearm from any manufacturer sooner than that. Chris might have some used .577 88Bs hanging around his office if you can't wait.

I prefer the 88, if it wasnt for the cost "Jumbo". Tried, closed Monday's.
Tanks man!
th2EB4LBCV.jpg

I don't like to beat a dead horse, but I will. VC is a sponsor here. A member had a very serious problem with his expensive rifle and they did the bare minimum to try to fix the problem after ignoring him for a good long while and to my knowledge haven't yet fixed it correctly, knowing that hundreds or thousands of people could and would read about it. Is that really a company you want to give your time and many thousands of your hard earned dollars ???

Doing things the right way can take longer and/or cost more money. But in the end it was still done right.

In the end it's your choice but I would think long and hard on it.

I don't like to beat a dead horse, but I will. VC is a sponsor here. A member had a very serious problem with his expensive rifle and they did the bare minimum to try to fix the problem after ignoring him for a good long while and to my knowledge haven't yet fixed it correctly, knowing that hundreds or thousands of people could and would read about it. Is that really a company you want to give your time and many thousands of your hard earned dollars ???

Doing things the right way can take longer and/or cost more money. But in the end it was still done right.

In the end it's your choice but I would think long and hard on it.
Thank You, in all seriousness . I do however hear more good than bad from VC owners, PH's, etc
This is nothing to sneeze at by any means, for more at least!

My Regards,

Reactions: CJW
Having owned both a bespoke VC and an off the shelf 89B (though both in 500), there is no comparison, at all. I sold the VC after 4 months and bought my Heym and couldn't be happier.

The QC issues with VC have been documented both here and on other forums. I had issues with mine: the action would break open upon firing, the left chamber was poorly cut and I had to check my brass (flange thickness) to ensure the action would close (a known issue on other guns) and I was subsequently told by the next owner that the right barrel (solder) had loosened in less than I year of build and was sent to JJ for repair.

Also, I couldn't get it to regulate with anything other than Woodleigh bullets. And the sight was off- can't remember if the ramp was too short or too tall.

No, my VC was a dog and I'm glad I got rid of it.

But I don't understand your thinking though: aesthetics be damned IMO if you plan on shooting anything other than paper. The whole point of the 89B was to design and build a rifle that weighed and balanced like a best London gun. The 500 89B weighs 2# more than the 500 VC which not only makes recoil more manageable, but also gives it the perfect weight (and balance) for an absolute rock solid hold with zero bead drift. Holds much better offhand than the VC on sticks.

Nope, I was very fortunate that Chris had that nearly finished 500 Heym with specs almost identical to the VC (which Jerome had me measured at DSC in '19). Close enough for me to gamble and sell the VC and buy the 89B sight unseen (even before it was finished & exported) four months before an elephant hunt. What does that tell you about confidence...or lack thereof?!?!?!?!

The Heym fits me like a glove, regulated with 3 different bullets right out of the box (my first 6 shots) and holds & handles like a proper double should.

They say life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. Well, life is to short to hunt dangerous game with a gun that doesn't function flawlessly......

I wouldn't recommend VC.

Last edited:
Having owned both a bespoke VC and an off the shelf 89B (though both in 500), there is no comparison, at all. I sold the VC after 4 months and bought my Heym and couldn't be happier.

The QC issues with VC have been documented both here and on other forums. I had issues with mine: the action would break open upon firing, the left chamber was poorly cut and I had to check my brass (flange thickness) to ensure the action would close (a known issue on other guns) and I was subsequently told by the next owner that the right barrel (solder) had loosened in less than I year of build and was sent to JJ for repair.

Also, I couldn't get it to regulate with anything other than Woodleigh bullets. And the sight was off- can't remember if the ramp was too short or too tall.

No, my VC was a dog and I'm glad I got rid of it.

But I don't understand your thinking though: aesthetics be damned IMO if you plan on shooting anything other than paper. The whole point of the 89B was to design and build a rifle that weighed and balanced like a best London gun. The 500 89B weighs 2# more than the 500 VC which not only makes recoil more manageable, but also gives it the perfect weight (and balance) for an absolute rock solid hold with zero bead drift. Holds much better offhand than the VC on sticks.

Nope, I was very fortunate that Chris had that nearly finished 500 Heym with specs almost identical to the VC (which Jerome had me measured at DSC in '19). Close enough for me to gamble and sell the VC and buy the 89B sight unseen (even before it was finished & exported) four months before an elephant hunt. What does that tell you about confidence...or lack thereof?!?!?!?!

The Heym fits me like a glove, regulated with 3 different bullets right out of the box (my first 6 shots) and holds & handles like a proper double should.

They say life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. Well, life is to short to hunt dangerous game with a gun that doesn't function flawlessly......

I wouldn't recommend VC.
Heym 89b - 'A proper British Double - Made In Germany'
I have now seen and handled about ten 89b's, in many calibres. They all balanced and felt perfect, and Heym can make them look as pretty as you wish. I am not a Heym groupie, just an engineer and I know good when I see it. I invested on looks and trust once, never again.

Thanks for the info, taking all comments into consideration.

Their both a work of art, Heym, VC, etc.
ship.jpg

I think every manufacturer can make some lemons.

I had heard about the double discharge from some Merkel doubles. I purchased one and haven't had anything but perfect function from it.

If I did have trouble with it, I would either get it fixed or we would part ways. Same with all my rifles.

I am glad my wife doesn't think like I do

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eye4aneye

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!