.500 Jeffery whats your opinion

"Midway USA" ... 540 Grain Norma's. $110.00 for ten Count's right now. Free shipping.

Last edited:
My gunsmith is working on my .500 Jeffery project..a very loong lasting affair...but slowly progressing.
I aim at 5 - 5.5kg (11 - 12 pounds), will see how it balances, might fit a K-O reducer in the stock..

But who wants to drag around excessive weight..??

This is a build on my old 602 utilizing a .50 cal. machinegun barrel turned down...and a heavy composite stock..

So what are your thoughts on weight/recoil...what is YOUR .500 Jeff. weighing..??

My gunsmith is working on my .500 Jeffery project..a very loong lasting affair...but slowly progressing.
I aim at 5 - 5.5kg (11 - 12 pounds), will see how it balances, might fit a K-O reducer in the stock..

But who wants to drag around excessive weight..??

This is a build on my old 602 utilizing a .50 cal. machinegun barrel turned down...and a heavy composite stock..

So what are your thoughts on weight/recoil...what is YOUR .500 Jeff. weighing..??
11.9 pounds scoped, unloaded.

I've owned 3 over the years, a Sabi at 10 3/4 lb everyone loved to shoot it, had a Vector SSB action, about 5 years later picked up a 98 500Jeffery, felt stunning had to have it.. but around 9.4lb it kicked hell out of me with all my tries at mild loads/powders around 2220fps and 535grainers. Was about to weight it up a lb... and along came a nice London Guns, Melbourne 500Jeffery, beautiful rifle at 10.5lb.. Loved this for a few years and truely did a great job.. Alas moved it on needed the $$s and not being carried much in 2018. Getting older, less muscles and 404 / 416 fine for me.
But in saying that I almost bought another in Feb 2020, price was right.. a Sabi 98... but CV19 put a stop to that work requirement.
After all that... I suggest 11lb loaded, no scope.. much enjoyment to be had. Buffalo are hit so hard wether 2250 or 2300 or 2250fps doesn't matter.

This is a very lovely calibre . Superior Ammunition loads their custom ammunition with 600 grain Woodleigh bullets , for the .500 Jeffery .

While I personally like the .505 Gibbs ( due to the lack of the rebated rim , slightly better sectional density and the slightly larger but irrelevant case capacity ) , the .500 Jeffery is advantageous in that it employs .510 calibre bullets ( which are quite commonly available , since they are also employed in the .500 Nitro Express and the .500 A Square ) rather than the relatively less common .505 calibre bullets of the .505 Gibbs . It can also be built on a standard length Mauser Model 98 action ( as opposed to the .505 Gibbs which exclusively requires the largest of the Magnum length actions such as the Granite Mountain Arms Magnum Mauser action or the Pattern 14 Enfield action ) .

Had somebody load a 500 Jeff with 600gr bullets at about 2500fps for 8100 ftlbs......crazy.....
I took my to 2450fps with 570gr bullets but recovery time becomes a bit too slow for my liking....I prefer 2300fps

Had somebody load a 500 Jeff with 600gr bullets at about 2500fps for 8100 ftlbs......crazy.....
I took my to 2450fps with 570gr bullets but recovery time becomes a bit too slow for my liking....I prefer 2300fps

Same. When I first got my rifle I worked up to loads with the 570g TSX up to 2510 fps. Fun index was low. With a 570g TSX at 2300 fps it's a joy to shoot offhand. Recovery time is much better too.

I suppose a 600grn bullet going around 2k fps would be ok and more manageable?

Well I did it!!!!

Bought a 500 Jeffery Barrel with quarter rib, barrel band, recoil lug and front sight.

Then also stumbled across a Vektor Double Square Bridge Magnum action...

Will be a long term project.

Now just to find the right smith that can do the feeding correctly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiloHardem

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross