.500 Jeffery whats your opinion

Harrison E

AH member
Reaction score
Hunted
South Africa, Australia
i was wondering what people think of the cartridge also recommendations on rifles to purchase in the caliber .500 Jeffery
thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
a good cartridge if you can handle extremely heavy recoil. however im not a fan of rebated rims but that's more of a personal choice. avoid the CZ 550 unless you plan to pay a very good gunsmith to make it run right.

-matt

Real powerfull thumper, make sure whichever one you get the feeding is ok. I know a few guys who have or had feeding problems.

if your considering the 500 Jeffery, you should also look at the 505 Gibbs. the 505 Gibbs can do anything the 500 Jeffery can do but with a better designed case. factory 500 Jeffery ammunition is more powerful but the Gibbs is plenty capable of firing a 600gr .505" bullet at 2300fps with hand loading.

however I don't see a point to the power of the 500 Jeffery or the hot loaded 505 Gibbs. it has been proven time and time again that a 570gr bullet at 2150fps or a 600gr bullet at 2100fps will stop the angriest of beasts in their tracks. I know of one gentleman who did a test where he shot an already dead buffalo in the rear at around 25 yards with a 600gr cup point solid fired at just over 2100fps from a 505 Gibbs and the bullet was found just under the skin in the chest. that's nearly a complete pass threw length wise on an adult cape buffalo!

-matt

If you want a thumper bolt gun that is reliable and ammo available. And if you want to keep life simple.. Get a 458 Lott...

Hallo again Harrison E.,

+1 to most of what everyone else said on the .500 Jeffery, especially the part Matt85 said about 570 gr / 2150 fps loads.

Here in the USA, many hand-loaders tend to put too much faith in super high velocity.

Fact is, there is such a thing as too much velocity in some situations.

Also, I'm one who posted much in other threads, within this forum about my personal rifle's feeding problems in that caliber.

Do a search within the forum for ".500 Jeffery" and my rants, as well as others likely will appear.

The feeding problems associated with this cartridge can be fixed by a Proper Gunsmith (not the type who's missing every other tooth but has a drill press and a vise in his garage, especially if he can't get to them unless he moves his car first).

I prefer the Jeffery over the Gibbs, because of the much wider bullet/projectiles for hand loading selection.

The .510 and .511 bullets are much more common than .505 ones are, especially cast lead bullets for reduced loads but also dangerous game bullets because of the well established .500 Nitro double rifle cartridge (same diameter.)

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Last edited:
Yup. I just got the 505 Gibbs and bought it mostly for the mystic and because it was a deal... And I wanted it. But it has all the feeding problems AND the less bullet selection. I don't see a big issue with bullet selection for me. I got a 30 day return policy with the gun from the dealer (bought it used for $1800). It is a CZ 550 Safari Classic that lists for double that... But in spite of the dealer sending it back to be inspected and test fired before I bought it... It has many of the typical feeding problems.

I would love to take it to shoot a buffalo with a 600 grain soft and see what happens... But I don't know if it will ever be reliable enough to count on a second or third shot.... Can probably get a second shot in, with the third shell, as right now it sometimes spits out the second shell when ejecting the first, but the bottom one stays in:unsure::(:mad::confused::eek:o_O

On the other hand my M70 416 Rem Mag is reliable and more manageable. And hits pretty darn hard as well. So from a practical hunting perspective, the 416 Rem Mag is a much more logical choice (and a LOT cheaper to feed)..... But with a PH to back me up should the need arise, I think it would be fun to take the 505 at least once. Buffalo is not going to be a one and done thing for me so I'm thinking why not?

I have a feeling that Colorado will chime in on this. If he doesn't see the thread, you might give him a pm. Think he has quite a bit of experience with this.

All the best.

I've got a CZ in 500 Jeff. I love the cartridge, the price was right, and I just wanted it. I'm still working out my rifle. I so far have not had the feed problems others have had but I also have less than 100 rounds through it so far.

If you don't have feeding problems now, you most likely won't. I made up some dummy rounds for my 500 Jeffery when I first got it, crimped the hell out of them then fed them through my rifle slow, fast, right side up, upside down. It took three trips to three different gunsmiths to get it right, but it passes the test now. My 500 Jeffery is very accurate, fun to shoot, and handles well. Recoil is well a bit sporty. I believe the folks above are right about a 570g bullet at 2150 being all you need. I may just detune my handloads a bit to get them down from 2300 fps. Congrats on your 500 Jeff wislnwings! Harrison if you haven't shot something comparable (a light (8.5 lb) 458 Lott, or a 500 NE or something similar, I suggest you do before you buy. The recoil is a bit different

It is the most devastatingly effective cartridge under even the most dangerous situations when you need to STOP whatever it is that wants to take revenge after it was wounded and is coming your way fast.

Loaded with premium grade bullets that can handle the velocity of 2250-2400 Fps and used by a competent shot, you will only ever need one well placed shot to stop whatever is coming your way.

When I started my PH career I bought a 375 H&H, when I started hunting a lot of DG I got a 500 JEFF(my mentor in Zim used one) and have never found the need for a different backup rifle on the big stuff.

It is a cartridge that gives you a lot of confidence which comes from it's devastating performance on the likes of Elephant, Buffalo and Rhino. It has the ability to bring down any of the most dangerous game in the shortest possible time-which is more often than not instantaneously!

The 500 Jeff's operating pressure is low by current standards. It is however extremely flexible and can be loaded to much higher pressures.

In a strong rifle(mine is a custom job on a big ZKK 602 action) the Jeffery can be loaded to comfortably outperform the 460 Weatherby.

Provided it is built on a magnum length action, such as the ZKK 602 or CZ 550 magnum, you can seat the bullets much further forward, which effectively increases case space and reduces pressure.

The Jeffery is able to push a 600 grain bullet to 2,500 fps and generate over
8,100 ft lbs of kinetic energy.

Trust me, you do not need this level of power and a 570 grain bullet at anything from 2200-2350 fps is more than enough for anything that Africa's largest DG cab come up with, provided you can place that one shot correctly.

The problem that I encountered during load development is that when you start getting to and exceeding 2400 fps with a 570 gr bullet, muzzle lift increases to such a level that it slows down your recovery time too much for the next shot, which is important in a charge situation. I have used my load of a 570 gr bullet at 2300-2350 fps with the utmost satisfaction on Buffalo, Elephant, Rhino, Lion and Hippo on land and have never had the need for more than one shot.

It is so effective with premium grade expanding bullets(I use 570 gr Rhino expanding bullets) on buffalo that that is what I use for backup on buffalo and nothing else. This combination hammers a Buffalo real hard and on all the Buffalo I have had to stop I have only ever used one shot with the utmost satisfaction.

The penetration with 570 gr monometal meplat solids( I use 570 gr Rhino solids) are just phenomenal! So much so you actually need to be careful when using them as they penetrate so well.

I shot a White Rhino bull that had been wounded and was crashing towards us through some thick bush, my bullet hit him in front of the shoulder and the bullet exited on the front side of the opposite rear leg! He managed another 40 yards and was stone dead when we got to him. I have only recovered one solid from this calibre which was from a Elephant. My client had botched the easy side brain shot and the bull had spun away from us and was departing in the Mopani scrub at a great speed. I aimed for the spine above the raised tail and at the shot the bullet shattered the spine effectively anchoring the bull and allowing the client to finish the bull.

Side brain shots all exit likewise behind the shoulder shot.

Granted it is not for everyone but, if you can handle it and are competent with it, there is no better stopping rifle than the 500 Jeffery!

.500 Jeffrey? Who needs one? Everyone knows Bell killed 625,000 elephants with a 6.5MS! :whistle::A Stirring:

Yup. I just got the 505 Gibbs and bought it mostly for the mystic and because it was a deal... And I wanted it. But it has all the feeding problems AND the less bullet selection. I don't see a big issue with bullet selection for me. I got a 30 day return policy with the gun from the dealer (bought it used for $1800). It is a CZ 550 Safari Classic that lists for double that... But in spite of the dealer sending it back to be inspected and test fired before I bought it... It has many of the typical feeding problems.

I would love to take it to shoot a buffalo with a 600 grain soft and see what happens... But I don't know if it will ever be reliable enough to count on a second or third shot.... Can probably get a second shot in, with the third shell, as right now it sometimes spits out the second shell when ejecting the first, but the bottom one stays in:unsure::(:mad::confused::eek:o_O

On the other hand my M70 416 Rem Mag is reliable and more manageable. And hits pretty darn hard as well. So from a practical hunting perspective, the 416 Rem Mag is a much more logical choice (and a LOT cheaper to feed)..... But with a PH to back me up should the need arise, I think it would be fun to take the 505 at least once. Buffalo is not going to be a one and done thing for me so I'm thinking why not?

The CZ magazine well is too narrow for the 505 Gibbs. That’s why it likes to spit out cartridges (even more of a problem with nickel-plated brass).

Pretty old thread. I have shot a few critters with a 505 Gibbs now, including an old mud caked buff and a big black giraffe. In fact I have a Ruger RSM chambered in it as well;)

I love the .500 Jeffery! I use 600 grain Woodleigh PPSNs at 2140fps. My very first shot with this cartridge saved my life. My rifle is a Sako Brown Bear and it feeds and cycles beautifully. I’ve killed six buffalo with it so far and my brother has killed one. It’s also killed a few pigs.

Sorry a little late to this post. I love my CZ in 500 Jeffery. I had some feeding problems but they eventually got resolved. Things were polished opened up a bit, in the end it turned out the magazine follower was the culprit (the groove not quite big enough for the fat cartridge). It cost me more in anxiety and time then dollars but it is my favorite rifle to shoot. I keep my loads down to a 570g bullet (TSX, A-Frame or Barnes Banded Solid) to 2300 fps. It shoots three shots cutting the same hole when I do my part. It swings like a good shotgun and puts down what you hit with it. Love the gun.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got off the phone and made a deal I couldn’t pass up on a CZ in .500 Jeff. Comes with dies, single stage press, 60 rounds, Leupold and Talley rings. I really don’t need it at all and should prob save my money for more hunting, but sometimes, you just have to be impulsive.

I’m hoping I don’t have feed problems...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Efren35C00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross