500 Jeffery Club

That's pretty good placement, I would put it just a bit lower still , as it seems from the pic that you are shooting up. In case you miss the brain (below) the round can still continue to impact the spine.

But that's just me. Might be wrong too. @IvW ?
The bull actually has his head cocked down a bit my first shot(with 500 Jeff)would be just above the last crease.
Try to draw a line from the left earhole to right eye and vice versa that cross should put you in line. Having said that lower rather than higher is always better when in doubt.
Pictures can be deceiving though and distance etc. In field make a big difference....

Irrespective of fit etc. 10.25 lbs is too light for a 500 Jeff with normal loads
IvW,....what does your 500J weigh, and are you hand loading, if so what loads are you using? 10.25 would normally seem a little light for such a caliber. I'm using a load with IMR4320, that's not a published load anywhere, and the powder has been disc, its one I created, with 535gr Woodleigh RNSP. ( I have 10 lbs of the powder on hand) Its a really consistent @2260fps. A comparable current powder would be H Varget. When you compare that to say a Norma factory 540gr solid they claim 2400fps, not so on my chrono, more like 2350. Thats a very small 6% difference between the two. Wondering what you mean by normal loads? I've never even seen any sign of pressure with anything I've tried, so I'm quite sure you could really wind this caliber up but I've never been a fan of that, and does it really do anything productive other than add recoil? My load by most recoil calculators is 88 ft/lb, Leaning into it on a good set of sticks is not bad at all. That being said I've let others shoot it and they seem to really struggle. I don't claim to be an expert shooter, but I do try hard and practice mechanics a lot. LMAO. I will say there is a marked difference between both my guns and this load. The Davenport with its old school stock design adds a lot of movement to the rifle at the same weight.

......Interesting conversation, really enjoyed the thread.

IvW,....what does your 500J weigh, and are you hand loading, if so what loads are you using? 10.25 would normally seem a little light for such a caliber. I'm using a load with IMR4320, that's not a published load anywhere, and the powder has been disc, its one I created, with 535gr Woodleigh RNSP. ( I have 10 lbs of the powder on hand) Its a really consistent @2260fps. A comparable current powder would be H Varget. When you compare that to say a Norma factory 540gr solid they claim 2400fps, not so on my chrono, more like 2350. Thats a very small 6% difference between the two. Wondering what you mean by normal loads? I've never even seen any sign of pressure with anything I've tried, so I'm quite sure you could really wind this caliber up but I've never been a fan of that, and does it really do anything productive other than add recoil? My load by most recoil calculators is 88 ft/lb, Leaning into it on a good set of sticks is not bad at all. That being said I've let others shoot it and they seem to really struggle. I don't claim to be an expert shooter, but I do try hard and practice mechanics a lot. LMAO. I will say there is a marked difference between both my guns and this load. The Davenport with its old school stock design adds a lot of movement to the rifle at the same weight.

......Interesting conversation, really enjoyed the thread.

My CZ 550 weighs 12 lbs with Talley steel QR rings and a Leupold 1.5-5x scope unloaded. I load my 570g TSX's straight out Art Alphin's and others book (Any Shot You want). Jamison brass, CCI magnum rifle primers, 103g H4895 and a 570g TSX for 2300 fps and great accuracy. Recoil is sporty but fun offhand and it's very accurate. Off the bench use a lead sled or a sissy pad if you're going to shoot more than a half dozen rounds.

My CZ 550 weighs 12 lbs with Talley steel QR rings and a Leupold 1.5-5x scope unloaded. I load my 570g TSX's straight out Art Alphin's and others book (Any Shot You want). Jamison brass, CCI magnum rifle primers, 103g H4895 and a 570g TSX for 2300 fps and great accuracy. Recoil is sporty but fun offhand and it's very accurate. Off the bench use a lead sled or a sissy pad if you're going to shoot more than a half dozen rounds.
Have two 505s. Have a 602, maybe i need a 500j built on it.

Have two 505s. Have a 602, maybe i need a 500j built on it.
Isn't the 602 a long action?? The beauty of the 500J is the ability to built it on a M98 or standard Win Mod 70 action
If I was to build a 500J it would be on a M98 action complete with the stripper clip grooves and I would have at least one full stripper clip for a reload
***** But, I built a 505 Gibbs instead ****

Isn't the 602 a long action?? The beauty of the 500J is the ability to built it on a M98 or standard Win Mod 70 action
If I was to build a 500J it would be on a M98 action complete with the stripper clip grooves and I would have at least one full stripper clip for a reload
***** But, I built a 505 Gibbs instead ****
602 is magnum
600 is long
601 is short

602 is perfect for 500 Jeff no mag length issues

Well my photo would be of one box of norma..one of kynoch...and 2 of sako....at least got one up on you with the sako ones ;) :E Big Grin:
These were Honestly, 1/2 price @ the time. The only real justification.

No problem !

It's all a matter of will. Sure, I had previously shot with an rifle caliber 460 WBY-Magnum before I switched to an rifle caliber 500 Schüler, but initially I switched from a rifle caliber 9,3x64 to an rifle caliber 460 WBY-Magnum without problems.

@njc110381 that will be a noticeable jump in recoil but a proper fitting and weight of the 500 is very important. You will notice on your first few shots the bigger recoil but it will soon be very manageable. Don't shoot to many rounds in a range session. I usually limit myself to 10-14 rounds of .458 and bigger, that way you prevent any bad habits from forming.

I agree jump up to .500 Not much a 458 can do that your 416 Rigby can't. As mentioned by AZDAVE, make sure the rifle fits you, that it's not too light (I think 10 to 11 lbs without scope unloaded is about right) . Also when you bring your new "Baby" to the range treat your rifle with respect. Wear a PAST Pad or something similar and don't shoot more than 10 rounds from the bench. Off hand no limit really. I made that mistake, 30 rounds from the bench in a T-shirt first time out with my 500 Jeffery. Bad idea lol

I'm hoping to join the .500J club soon myself. Now I've mastered my .416 Rigby and can shoot it quite comfortably, I feel I am ready to move to the next step. The question is, is this the next step? Or am I moving up too fast?
what rifle you thinking about getting mate? Also If I dont join the club I have some brass and dies etc

what rifle you thinking about getting mate? Also If I dont join the club I have some brass and dies etc
That would be much appreciated. Spike doesn't need it... ;)

I've got a Lothar Walther barrel, pre chambered and threaded for a Mauser action. It'll be built on whatever I can find, I have a couple in mind. It's a fun project with my gunsmith. He's never done one before and neither have I - we fancy the challenge using cheapish parts.

That would be much appreciated. Spike doesn't need it... ;)

I've got a Lothar Walther barrel, pre chambered and threaded for a Mauser action. It'll be built on whatever I can find, I have a couple in mind. It's a fun project with my gunsmith. He's never done one before and neither have I - we fancy the challenge using cheapish parts.
My smith gave up after a lot of work I can't work it out tbh. I'm thinking about a sako 85 brown bear but need to get my hands on one. Maybe at the shooting show in February

My smith gave up after a lot of work I can't work it out tbh. I'm thinking about a sako 85 brown bear but need to get my hands on one. Maybe at the shooting show in February

I had my CZ 550 in 500 Jeff worked on by both Harlan at Triple River gunsmiths as well as Wayne at AHR. Both made it feed better but occasionally (tested feeding and extracting slow, fast, upside down with hundreds of dummy rounds) it would jam. Kevin Weaver looked at the magazine follower and said "that's too skinny for such a fat round" It's perfect now. Have your gunsmith look at and machine the follower. Such a simple cheap thing but so important. By the way Harlan and Wayne are great gunsmiths.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
go789click

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois