.470 Capstick Blaser

I too about had a heart attack when you said you opened the receiver instead of the barrel channel. Also you should be able to load three in the magazine and one in the chamber. That should hopefully delineate the need for a magazine/trigger group swap. I'm curious though is there a reason why you chose the 470 Capstick instead of the 458 Lott or 500 jeffery?

I too about had a heart attack when you said you opened the receiver instead of the barrel channel. Also you should be able to load three in the magazine and one in the chamber. That should hopefully delineate the need for a magazine/trigger group swap. I'm curious though is there a reason why you chose the 470 Capstick instead of the 458 Lott or 500 jeffery?
I already have two .458 Lott’s and a .500 Jeffery. At this point I just like having guns in different calibers.

Congratulations on the new canon Glenn Slaven, you seem to love it, and it is all that matters :)

To me, this is a wonderful thread because it illustrates so well the freedom we enjoy in the US (y)

I absolutely have no clue whatsofreekingever what Glenn's unique rationale could possibly be to put together this contraption - heck, if even as ardent a R8 defender as Red Leg is scratching his head, that tells anyone everything they may need to hear LOL - but I love the fact that he can do it :)

My heart too skipped a beat when reading "receiver opened up" but just running a wood dowel with sandpaper wrapped around it to open the molded plastic forearm channel is in a different world all together :whistle:

I would personally not put together a custom DG rifle that I would not plan to take to Africa o_O; I would not consider the aluminum Blaser receiver for anything past .375 (n); I would NEVER put a scope that close to my eye on a .450+ light rifle :E Excited:; etc. etc. but hey to each their own. God Bless America where Glenn does not need to convince a bureaucrat to issue him a permit to allow him to do all these delightful foolish things :)

One friendly suggestion if I can: consider adding the Kickstop recoil reducer in the stock (y)

And I truly sympathize with "I have more DG rifles than I have money to shoot DG with" because I too used to be there myself in this completely crazy self-defeating place :A Bonk:, until someone did me the favor of telling me rather dryly: "Sell half the guns and go on Safari with the money!" :V Bangin:

I bet the money spent on this thing alone would buy a genuine buffalo hunt on 20,000+ acres with a quality outfitter in South Africa :E Rofl:

I am curious, is this a custom J Sip and Son's barrel, or did you have a Blaser Selous .458 barrel re-bored?

Correct. Then the question becomes: can you reload as you run? Access to the loading port is generally considered critical, etc. etc. That right thumb of yours might get to bleed a little under that sharp base angles...

Anyway, again, congratulations on the new canon, you seem to love it, and it is all that matters :)

I had Sip and Sons make a new barrel. It ended up about $1000 less than a Blaser barrel.

I had Sip and Sons make a new barrel. It ended up about $1000 less than a Blaser barrel.

It looks really good.

I am not surprised about it costing $1,000 less than a Blaser identical barrel. If you followed some other threads regarding the Blaser, I am on record for finding the R8 an interesting concept, and being tempted, but refusing what I personally perceive as, how shall I say this to not offend anyone?, hmmm...., let's just say: some (not all - but the ones I am interested in) prices not in proportion to cost.

I almost went for the steel receiver safari pro .300 Win Mag, but I refused to pay the $7,000 they ask, plus another $3,000 for a .375 H&H barrel. TO ME - we all have our own personal cost/benefit analysis and you own pride - I can see many benefits, but the cost hurts my pride as I feel taken advantage of... I have said it before, and I stand by it, TO ME $4,550 for a plastic molded stock over the steel insert and $3,000 for a barrel alone is just ridiculous...

Yes, the $3,000 price for a complete R8 Pro (aluminum receiver) like yours, is perfectly acceptable, but things get out of hand with "African" focused parts: steel receiver, Selous barrels, etc...

I am still second guessing myself for pointing a used one to BeeMaa, who promptly and smartly bought it (I should probably have bought it myself), and I keep mulling over the option Red Leg and many others selected: standard aluminum receiver and standard .375 H&H barrel, but right now I am more in a mood along the lines: I have all the rifles I could ever need and I would rather spend the money hunting in Africa... although, I admit, the temptation for the R8 is still there, and strong...

Last edited:
It looks really good.

I am not surprised about it costing $1,000 less than a Blaser identical barrel. If you followed some other threads regarding the Blaser, I am on record for finding the R8 an interesting concept, and being tempted, but refusing what I personally perceive as, how shall I say this to not offend anyone?, hmmm...., let's just say: some (not all - but the ones I am interested in) prices not in proportion to cost.

I almost went for the steel receiver safari pro .300 Win Mag, but I refused to pay the $7,000 they ask, plus another $3,000 for a .375 H&H barrel. TO ME - we all have our own personal cost/benefit analysis and you own pride - I can see many benefits, but the cost hurts my pride as I feel taken advantage of... I have said it before, and I stand by it, TO ME $4,550 for a plastic molded stock over the steel insert and $3,000 for a barrel alone is just ridiculous...

Yes, the $3,000 price for a complete R8 Pro (aluminum receiver) like yours, is perfectly acceptable, but things get out of hand with "African" focused parts: steel receiver, Selous barrels, etc...

I am still second guessing myself for pointing a used one to BeeMaa, who promptly and smartly bought it (I should probably have bought it myself), and I keep mulling over the option Red Leg and many others selected: standard aluminum receiver and standard .375 H&H barrel, but right now I am more in a mood along the lines: I have all the rifles I could ever need and I would rather spend the money hunting in Africa... although, I admit, the temptation for the R8 is still there, and strong...
You would be even more upset to find out how well it shoots.
There are still plenty good used ones out there waiting for you.

Myself...I might be looking for a synthetic & aluminum one to supplement the one I have.
Don't let me beat you to the next one. o_O

Blaser did the work, the only thing they opened up was the channel on the forearm. They informed me the gun was safe to shoot even with the .500 Jeffery. The rail can be removed and a regular Blaser saddle mount can be installed.
I may be wrong, but I think putting in a new magazine would be faster than stuffing from the top.
For me with ammo on my belt I can reload without taking my eye off the animal. I couldn’t do that with a second trigger group which I don’t own anyway.
Neat setup but I’d remove the rail and use the Blaser scope mount. Best of luck!
still waiting on my latest J Sip barrel.
Philip

You would be even more upset to find out how well it shoots.
There are still plenty good used ones out there waiting for you.

Myself...I might be looking for a synthetic & aluminum one to supplement the one I have.
Don't let me beat you to the next one. o_O
I might be able to help you with that. Let me know before you buy anything.

It looks really good.

I have an aluminum receiver and a standard .375 HH barrel and I like it a lot. Shot it today actually.

F9466F5A-9D99-4D41-A0F2-FA16BAA63C5D.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an aluminum receiver and a standard .375 HH barrel and I like it a lot. Shot it today actually.
Makes up into a 30-06 weight class rifle in .375. Great to carry day after day, mile after mile. The ergonomics insure recoil is a non-issue. And still supremely accurate with the best factory trigger in my experience. A wonderful package.

Makes up into a 30-06 weight class rifle in .375. Great to carry day after day, mile after mile. The ergonomics insure recoil is a non-issue. And still supremely accurate with the best factory trigger in my experience. A wonderful package.

When I got the .375 barrel I was expecting pretty good recoil, but it wasn’t the case. Like you say, there is something about the ergonomics of the rifle the it shoots much softer than one would expect. I have a Sauer 100 in 9.3 that seems brutal, in my Blaser it is not bad at all.

When I got the .375 barrel I was expecting pretty good recoil, but it wasn’t the case. Like you say, there is something about the ergonomics of the rifle the it shoots much softer than one would expect. I have a Sauer 100 in 9.3 that seems brutal, in my Blaser it is not bad at all.
I agree with both you and @Red Leg about the excellent ergonomics and trigger.
However I also agree with @One Day... about possibly adding the kickstop for the 470CAP.
See how it feels without it and go from there I suppose.

I might be able to help you with that. Let me know before you buy anything.
I'll give you a call once the $$$ situation is a little better.
Maybe a 6.5x55SE in my future.

Instead of putting a kick stop in a standard stock why not just get a Safari stock that comes with it. They can be purchased for under $2,000.00 and the barrel channel would already be opened.

Instead of putting a kick stop in a standard stock why not just get a Safari stock that comes with it. They can be purchased for under $2,000.00 and the barrel channel would already be opened.

already had 2 aluminum receivers and I don’t care to spend 2k on another receiver. I wasn’t going to but when Blaser told me the aluminum receiver would shoot up to the .500 Jeffery, it got me thinking....

dchamp, where can one purchase the Safari stock - I am assuming you imply steel insert - for under $2,000?
Thx
P

already had 2 aluminum receivers and I don’t care to spend 2k on another receiver. I wasn’t going to but when Blaser told me the aluminum receiver would shoot up to the .500 Jeffery, it got me thinking....
I agree, I do not think that there is any mechanical strength issue with the aluminum receiver.
The reason I want(ed?) the steel receiver is because it is 1 lb heavier. What can I say, I shoot heavier rifles betters, I find them more stable on the sticks, and I am utterly incapable of saying if a rifle on my shoulder is 8, 9, or 10 lbs...

Not sure exactly what you mean here.
If you buy the Professional Hunter Safari Steel Stock it's over $4K.
That is the safari stock opened up to accept the 22mm barrels and a steel receiver.

The Professional stock comes with an aluminum receiver and they sell for under $2K.
However they normally come with either the standard or mid-weight barrel channel.
Having it opened up to accept the safari barrels will add a little money to that.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-01 at 10.51.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-01 at 10.51.22 PM.png
    534.5 KB · Views: 69
  • Screen Shot 2020-06-01 at 10.51.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-01 at 10.51.25 PM.png
    401.7 KB · Views: 91
  • Screen Shot 2020-06-01 at 10.51.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-01 at 10.51.28 PM.png
    337.2 KB · Views: 73

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-01 at 10.52.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-01 at 10.52.14 PM.png
    517.6 KB · Views: 81
  • Screen Shot 2020-06-01 at 10.52.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-01 at 10.52.15 PM.png
    335.9 KB · Views: 76
  • Screen Shot 2020-06-01 at 10.52.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-01 at 10.52.16 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 71
Thanks!

FYI, my understanding is that the "Blaser R8 Professional Savanna Stock Receiver Safari" does not have the steel receiver. It simply has the wider channel.

The one with the steel receiver is the so-called "Blaser R8 Professional Savanna Big Bore Stock Receiver." It lists for $4,500 although EuroOptics occasionally have it on sale for much less...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddragontiger4d

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.