Glenn Slaven

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Got the .470 Capstick barrel in, scoped, the receiver opened up to accept barrel.... now to get some loads done and shoot it.

37F69FE4-878D-4A37-9D03-52E1448109BD.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Really like the look of the J Sip and Son's barrel.
Does that stock have an aluminum or steel receiver?

One more question...
It looks like the QD rings mount the scope to a base that is fixed to the barrel.
So when you take the scope off, you still have to work around the scope base to load from the top.
IMO, it seems that you would want the loading port fully exposed with the scope removed.
Making reloading from the top much easier when following up on DG.

Really like the look of the J Sip and Son's barrel.
Does that stock have an aluminum or steel receiver?

One more question...
It looks like the QD rings mount the scope to a base that is fixed to the barrel.
So when you take the scope off, you still have to work around the scope base to load from the top.
IMO, it seems that you would want the loading port fully exposed with the scope removed.
Making reloading from the top much easier when following up on DG.

it is the aluminum receiver. Not going to get much love with recoil reduction from weight. As far as the reloads, yes, it covers up the port, but I have an extra trigger mechanism and an extra .458 Lott insert, so I would plan on just taking the extra trigger and popping it in if reload was needed. That’s the plan anyway...

it is the aluminum receiver. Not going to get much love with recoil reduction from weight. As far as the reloads, yes, it covers up the port, but I have an extra trigger mechanism and an extra .458 Lott insert, so I would plan on just taking the extra trigger and popping it in if reload was needed. That’s the plan anyway...
That is a good plan for a "tactical" reload.
Besides, loading the magazine when it's removed from the rifle is much easier.
Isn't it awesome having these kind of options with the R8...:D

You "opened up" an alloy receiver?!? Who did that work, and did Blaser think that was a good idea? Are you still able to use other barrels with it? And then you made it impossible to top off your magazine without removing the trigger group - on a dangerous game rifle?!?

Last edited:
That is going to be some lively recoil! Do you have a kick stop in the stock? I’d guess the total weight to be about 9 lbs, without the kick stop... am I close?

Is the rail mount QD? Who makes it?
As a new owner of a pair of R8’s, I’m curious to learn what others are doing.

You "opened up" an alloy receiver?!? Who did that work, and did Blaser think that was a good idea? Are you still able to use other barrels with it? And then you made it impossible to top off your magazine without removing the trigger group - on a dangerous game rifle?!?
Blaser did the work, the only thing they opened up was the channel on the forearm. They informed me the gun was safe to shoot even with the .500 Jeffery. The rail can be removed and a regular Blaser saddle mount can be installed.
I may be wrong, but I think putting in a new magazine would be faster than stuffing from the top.

Blaser did the work, the only thing they opened up was the channel on the forearm. They informed me the gun was safe to shoot even with the .500 Jeffery. The rail can be removed and a regular Blaser saddle mount can be installed.
I may be wrong, but I think putting in a new magazine would be faster than stuffing from the top.
Glad to hear Blaser did the work. What I understood from the original post was that the receiver itself rather than the stock had been ground on.

My issue with using the trigger group for reload is ready access. Unlike an AR or FN FAL, you won’t have it in a tactical magazine pouch on your load bearing equipment. I can come up with all sorts of scenarios where one has put rounds into a bull and the PH wants to close immediately - as in instantly. I have personally had to do that on three of the four I have taken. That is easy to do by sliding a couple of cartridges out of an ammunition carrier. Less so, if you have to stop and start digging around in a backpack or cargo pocket for a trigger group. I personally would come up with a different mount.

As noted by others, the recoil on that thing will be noticeable - probably spectacular.

Last edited:
Can load from the top still. I’ll will probably get the saddle mount before serious hunting. Not sure I’ll even use on DG. Have more DG rifles than money for DG hunting...

294CAC17-6677-4AE2-BE23-E29976E6E27F.jpeg
FCE7D74F-38E3-4BC7-82C8-D6407C15794F.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Does one need to think about downloading the magazine for the tactical reload?

That is not ready access. That is conditional access. How fast can you get off single shots? Seems like the best plan to me. Drop them in and send them off one by one.

Please make a video of the first outing. Curious about the recoil and the reload either manually or the trigger swap.

Does one need to think about downloading the magazine for the tactical reload?

That is not ready access. That is conditional access. How fast can you get off single shots? Seems like the best plan to me. Drop them in and send them off one by one.

Please make a video of the first outing. Curious about the recoil and the reload either manually or the trigger swap.
Good point. I think throwing one in and sending One at a time would be faster than filling up the mag. Pretty much like an emergency reload on a shotgun. Good point you make. I will have to try it out.
Just need to get dies and make some brass for it. Qual-Cart has been put behind schedule because of the Wuhan.

Good point. I think throwing one in and sending One at a time would be faster than filling up the mag. Pretty much like an emergency reload on a shotgun. Good point you make. I will have to try it out.
Just need to get dies and make some brass for it. Qual-Cart has been put behind schedule because of the Wuhan.
Assuming I am reading this correctly, I am not following this logic at all. On a buffalo the key is get multiple hits if at all possible before he disappears. Frankly, that is typically two shots - on rare occasions one might get off three. We are talking a situation where tenths of a second matter. “Topping off” after every round fired is ludicrous. The fastest way to get off more than one round is with a double or a R8 - at least among the rifles I own. The time to top off is the second the bull is out of sight and you are starting pursuit, sometimes on the run.

The more I read this the more I realize we are all worried about something that probably will never happen. I probably will not take it buff hunting. I have it more to just to have it and shoot stuff with than to have it as my dedicated DG rifle. I have more DG rifles than I have money to shoot DG with.

If I did take it buff hunting, what are the chances that I would fire all the rounds in the mag and still see the buffalo? You get what? 2 to 3 shots max on average before losing sight? With a double I get two rounds, with the Blaser even without one in the pipe, I have 3.

But, if I had expended all my ammo in the rifle, the ammo in the extra mag, and I still needed to shoot something that the PH and I haven’t been able to kill at this point, I would toss a round on top of the mag follower under the rail and send it.

Assuming I am reading this correctly, I am not following this logic at all. On a buffalo the key is get multiple hits if at all possible before he disappears. Frankly, that is typically two shots - on rare occasions one might get off three. We are talking a situation where tenths of a second matter. “Topping off” after every round fired is ludicrous. The fastest way to get off more than one round is with a double or a R8 - at least among the rifles I own. The time to top off is the second the bull is out of sight and you are starting pursuit, sometimes on the run.
But I did reread the above reply and I see how I was a bit confusing. No I would not plan to treat it as a single shot. Just meaning all ammo is gone and need extra shots at the current time, put it on the mag follower and send it. That would be a pretty worst case scenario.

@Glenn Slaven
Apologies for even bringing up the magazine reload issue.

Congratulations on the new canon Glenn Slaven, you seem to love it, and it is all that matters :)
... I probably will not take it buff hunting I have more DG rifles than I have money to shoot DG with.

To me, this is a wonderful thread because it illustrates so well the freedom we enjoy in the US (y)

I absolutely have no clue whatsofreekingever what Glenn's unique rationale could possibly be to put together this contraption - heck, if even as ardent a R8 defender as Red Leg is scratching his head, that tells anyone everything they may need to hear LOL - but I love the fact that he can do it :)

My heart too skipped a beat when reading "receiver opened up" but just running a wood dowel with sandpaper wrapped around it to open the molded plastic forearm channel is in a different world all together :whistle:

I would personally not put together a custom DG rifle that I would not plan to take to Africa o_O; I would not consider the aluminum Blaser receiver for anything past .375 (n); I would NEVER put a scope that close to my eye on a .450+ light rifle :E Excited:; etc. etc. but hey to each their own. God Bless America where Glenn does not need to convince a bureaucrat to issue him a permit to allow him to do all these delightful foolish things :)

One friendly suggestion if I can: consider adding the Kickstop recoil reducer in the stock (y)

And I truly sympathize with "I have more DG rifles than I have money to shoot DG with" because I too used to be there myself in this completely crazy self-defeating place :A Bonk:, until someone did me the favor of telling me rather dryly: "Sell half the guns and go on Safari with the money!" :V Bangin:

I bet the money spent on this thing alone would buy a genuine buffalo hunt on 20,000+ acres with a quality outfitter in South Africa :E Rofl:

I am curious, is this a custom J Sip and Son's barrel, or did you have a Blaser Selous .458 barrel re-bored?

... you get what? 2 to 3 shots max on average before losing sight? With a double I get two rounds, with the Blaser even without one in the pipe, I have 3.

Correct. Then the question becomes: can you reload as you run? Access to the loading port is generally considered critical, etc. etc. That right thumb of yours might get to bleed a little under that sharp base angles...

Anyway, again, congratulations on the new canon, you seem to love it, and it is all that matters :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmieFletch

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg