458 lott vs 500 nitro

The 500s are pussycats with regard to recoil. Trust me ...
Interesting that this is said when it is known that you use a slip on recoil pad for practice and have a recoil pad sewn into your range jacket. You're enabling! :ROFLMAO:
I heard the 470 is a pussycat, trust no one....
You have a bad experience or an you enabling here? I can't tell...:D Pop Popcorn:

my advice as always with heavy artillery.
With each 4-6 shots at 50 m freehand.
Then you know the score.

Interesting that this is said when it is known that you use a slip on recoil pad for practice and have a recoil pad sewn into your range jacket. You're enabling! :ROFLMAO:

You have a bad experience or an you enabling here? I can't tell...:D Pop Popcorn:

lol enabling, that's true! But when I'm hunting I only wear the slip on recoil pad because my chimp length arms require the additional LOP.

lol enabling, that's true! But when I'm hunting I only wear the slip on recoil pad because my chimp length arms require the additional LOP.
Right, I'm just saying that in the spirit of full disclosure you've got to make this known. There's a difference between a stock, if there is such a thing, 500 Jeff and a lengthened and double recoil padded one. I get that you enjoy it and even more so shoot it well. Although I would like to see a video to prove you're not dancing backwards across the pasture like that other fellow was.

You know, I've responded to you with humor, but you obviously haven't had sex in awhile. Your posts are insulting and humorless.

I took a video of myself shooting the 470 . The double doesn't flip up much, but it is a stout recoil. Not sure how to post videos on here, and I would probably get teased lol.

All was good till I closed my eyes, yanked the trigger then fell over.

Right, I'm just saying that in the spirit of full disclosure you've got to make this known. There's a difference between a stock, if there is such a thing, 500 Jeff and a lengthened and double recoil padded one. I get that you enjoy it and even more so shoot it well. Although I would like to see a video to prove you're not dancing backwards across the pasture like that other fellow was.
If it is the same video I am thinking about the shooter was not set up properly. My 15 year old son shot my 500 Jeffrey after I showed him how to properly hold it. My method is to take a stance with the rifle then make marks on the ground for his foot placement. Once he is on the marks, get in a comfortable position for himself. I then know he is comfortable and squared up. He owns a 375 H&H and a 458 Lott, both have #2 upgrades. He is on the way to the big bore addiction.

If it is the same video I am thinking about the shooter was not set up properly. My 15 year old son shot my 500 Jeffrey after I showed him how to properly hold it. My method is to take a stance with the rifle then make marks on the ground for his foot placement. Once he is on the marks, get in a comfortable position for himself. I then know he is comfortable and squared up. He owns a 375 H&H and a 458 Lott, both have #2 upgrades. He is on the way to the big bore addiction.
There's a limit to practicality that creeps in somewhere North of .375 where lead sleds get heavy, pads get thick and footings are danced out of and back to, but they're all still somehow easy to shoot. :A Tease: Haha, I guess they're just out there having fun.
I was the skinny kid that shot a .30-06 at the range and skidded back from the firing line. I wasn't allowed to hunt with it until I could stand and deliver fire while remaining in place. I then bought "magnum" rifles when I got older. I think they keep us young. Your son is lucky to have a sponsored big bore addiction indeed.

There's a limit to practicality that creeps in somewhere North of .375 where lead sleds get heavy, pads get thick and footings are danced out of and back to, but they're all still somehow easy to shoot. :A Tease: Haha, I guess they're just out there having fun.
'''
No foot dancing, nor heavy lead sled nor heavy padding here ;)

Tried to post my first ever shot out of my 470

Thank you for posting.

Is she a light gun? 9-10lb'ish area?

You poked a bit at yourself and humility is a great virtue, if I were to shoot a couple options to test, square up more, lean forward as much as practically possible, keep your head down all the way through recoil and while coming back down reacquire the sights and get back on target. That last part is a plague on many many shooters of all disciplines.

Leaning forward will make most efficient use of your weight, you've got it, may as well use it, faster recovery time, that means faster follow up.

Squaring is going to help keep that recoil in that shoulder pocket, help to keep the recoil from coming back into the shoulder joint area, which will create some discomfort at best. It can also help keep your eyes squared, faster acquisition of moving target and multiple targets, may also help to keep you from shooting an excited prohunter that jumps forward to make his own shot or chase the animal a little too soon...

I think if you did another video, squared up more, leaned into her (don't fall forward but the further forward the lean the better), and kept that head down, I think you'd see a different story and find yourself enjoying her more.

Those first two points will help you to be able to keep that head down on that stock as well.

Oh and if there is a buckle in your shoulder pocket from those bibs, then take that strap off, or cross it over, or whatever, but get the buckle out of the way of the recoil pad.

If you aren't looking for a stranger to shoot advice at you then my apologies and disregard.

I really do appreciate you making the video and posting it, thank you.

Thank you for posting.

Is she a light gun? 9-10lb'ish area?

You poked a bit at yourself and humility is a great virtue, if I were to shoot a couple options to test, square up more, lean forward as much as practically possible, keep your head down all the way through recoil and while coming back down reacquire the sights and get back on target. That last part is a plague on many many shooters of all disciplines.

Leaning forward will make most efficient use of your weight, you've got it, may as well use it, faster recovery time, that means faster follow up.

Squaring is going to help keep that recoil in that shoulder pocket, help to keep the recoil from coming back into the shoulder joint area, which will create some discomfort at best. It can also help keep your eyes squared, faster acquisition of moving target and multiple targets, may also help to keep you from shooting an excited prohunter that jumps forward to make his own shot or chase the animal a little too soon...

I think if you did another video, squared up more, leaned into her (don't fall forward but the further forward the lean the better), and kept that head down, I think you'd see a different story and find yourself enjoying her more.

Those first two points will help you to be able to keep that head down on that stock as well.

Oh and if there is a buckle in your shoulder pocket from those bibs, then take that strap off, or cross it over, or whatever, but get the buckle out of the way of the recoil pad.

If you aren't looking for a stranger to shoot advice at you then my apologies and disregard.

I really do appreciate you making the video and posting it, thank you.

It was kind of funny, I wanted to shoot it so bad. I had worked all day on my machine, then at the end of the day set up a target my phone and kind of rushed to shoot it.

I was beside quite a.busy road so I had to time my shot when no gravel trucks or oilfield trucks were going by. I did just four shots that day, maybe six. Was fun as heck. With the open sights it did react more than it does now with the kahles reflex I put on it. My head is a bit higher with the kahles and it doesn't seem to kick as bad.

It did whack my middle finger pretty good, but I had terrible tennis elbow earlier this summer, and I had no strength at all in my grip. Forearm and grip strength is good now, so I will try it again this week. I also found it easier to shoot offhand than off the sticks, as far as felt recoil anyway. I may have had the sticks set a.bit high, .

I will take some.more short vids next time I bring it to the woods, it truly is great fun. My 458 Lott and 416 Rigby whacked my middle finger on the trigger guard while I have been dealing with this damn tennis elbow. I had the forearm , elbow type strap on, and even with that was hard to lift the rifles. Should be good now though.
@calling4life I always appreciate input from people on this forum, almost all have more experience than I do with the big boomers, but I am sure I have just as much fun shooting them!

If it wasn't for this forum I would never have ventured past 375 H&H! Double rifle would still only be an unobtainable dream as well.

Great people here and thanks to all who don't mind helping people out! It is very much appreciated.

Craig Butler

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg