458 lott vs 500 nitro

Papabear55

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
What's everyones thoughts between these two calibers? Planning to pick up both of those calibers in the future, just trying to decide which to get first. I could get a cz550 458 or a sabatti 500. Have owned both calibers in the past on ruger no1 actions so I'm familiar with the cartridges but not the rifles.

Any reason y'all would go one way or another?

Papabear55

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
I'm not a double rifle guy, but I would look at Heym or Krieghoff for a double. You could get a CZ 550 in 505 Gibbs or 500 Jeffery and kill two birds with one stone.
The issue there is finding one for sale. Heym, Krieghoff or Merkel are where I'm looking as far as a 500ne goes in the long run. If i were to pick up the sabatti it'd only be temporarily to scratch that itch

postoak

Silver supporter
Bronze supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Patron Life member NRA
Hunted
U.S.A., R.S.A, Namibia
My thoughts are .500s are cooler than Lotts. You can get a Sako Brown Bear in .500 Jeffery for $2598.

Forrest Halley

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
The issue there is finding one for sale. Heym, Krieghoff or Merkel are where I'm looking as far as a 500ne goes in the long run. If i were to pick up the sabatti it'd only be temporarily to scratch that itch
It would seem that the better course is going to be wait until you can get the finer rifle rather than the half measure of the Sabatti in the short game. Double rifles seem to be the tool of those who have deliberated carefully and chosen a steady course of action.

matt85

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, South Africa, and Namibia
between the two rifles you picked, I would pick the 550 in 458 Lott.

Both cartridges are pretty comparable in terms of power. Both work great as DG cartridges but the 500 will work slightly better at close range while the 458 will work slightly better at longer ranges.

I had terrible experiences with Sabatti and would never buy one again.

-Matt

machinistbutler

Silver supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Canada Namibia
Scope the Lott and you will have an accurate hammer to past 200 yards. Be a lot more of a multi purpose gun than the 500 double.

I took a whitetail last fall at 200 yards with my Lott, I would have never tried the shot with my 470 double. 100 yards I would be confident with my 470 double, same would hold true for a 500 if I could shoot it well.

Big doubles are for close encounters , for me anyways.

Some nice Heym doubles for sale in Canada right now.

Papabear55

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Scope the Lott and you will have an accurate hammer to past 200 yards. Be a lot more of a multi purpose gun than the 500 double.

I took a whitetail last fall at 200 yards with my Lott, I would have never tried the shot with my 470 double. 100 yards I would be confident with my 470 double, same would hold true for a 500 if I could shoot it well.

Got a link to the heyms?

BnC 04

Gold supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, RMEF, DU, NWTF, NRA
Hunted
Canada/Europe/Africa/14 US States
Champlin has 3 or so used 88b 500s.

machinistbutler

Silver supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Canada Namibia
@Papabear55 the Heyms are on Ralf Martinis website, listed I believe in Canadian dollars. They are listed in the for sale section. There is a nice 470 as well as a couple 500/416 as well.

I am not sure if it is ok to link it if they aren't a forum sponsor? Martinigunmakers then a dot com

colorado

AH elite
Reaction score
Media

Likewise I shot a cow elk two years ago at about the same range with my scoped 500 Jeffery. She didn't get up.

TOBY458

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
If I were choosing between an accurate, versatile, fairly priced bolt gun, (Winchester, Kimber, Ect), and a cheap double, I know what I would choose. Hands down. Get the 458 and set it up with QD scope mounts, and a low power variable scope. Then when you save up enough to buy a quality double, get one that is regulated correctly, and has good resale value. Read, Heym, Verney Carron, Merkel, ect.

Papabear55

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
@Papabear55 the Heyms are on Ralf Martinis website, listed I believe in Canadian dollars. They are listed in the for sale section. There is a nice 470 as well as a couple 500/416 as well.

I am not sure if it is ok to link it if they aren't a forum sponsor? Martinigunmakers then a dot com
I got in contact with the owner, thank you

colorado

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
If I were choosing between an accurate, versatile, fairly priced bolt gun, (Winchester, Kimber, Ect), and a cheap double, I know what I would choose. Hands down. Get the 458 and set it up with QD scope mounts, and a low power variable scope. Then when you save up enough to buy a quality double, get one that is regulated correctly, and has good resale value. Read, Heym, Verney Carron, Merkel, ect.

Here's my CZ 550 in 500 Jeffery, Talley steel QR rings, Leupold 1.5-5x scope. I shoot 570g TSX's at 2300 fps. Seems to work, but if your heart's settled on a nice double in 500 NE, I certainly can't fault you for that :)

full

Last edited by a moderator:

Spooksar

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI, Dallas Safari Club, NFA ,CSSA NRA, CCFR
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, Canada (BC, Alberta Nunavet) Texas, New Mexico
My PH on my Buffalo hunt this year shoots a 500 NE double when I asked him about recoil he said the 458 Lott I used kicks him worse then the 500.

Nhoro

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Cleveland Gun Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe
500 NE makes a 26 % bigger hole but has less energy per square inch. In fact, less energy in total.

To be honest, one may favor either but I don't think there is much of a difference. Personally, I think the Lott penetrates more but makes a smaller hole with a solid. It does kick a little more but 500 doubles usually weigh more-reducing recoil and making them heavier to carry.

I use a 458 Lott. If I could afford it, I would order a Heym in 470 or 500 NE.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TwoOceanssafaris

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

KAROO WILD Safaris wrote on AHAssistant's profile.
Hi Susan

I've rejoined Ah after a year break. Jerome has helped me re: set up my signature and banner. In my absence, I see there's a new resources page. How do I go about building a page and adding client reviews to it. I see a lot of other outfitters have got a text section, followed by pics and videos, and lastly some reviews. I'd like to do something similar.

Thanks for your help

Victor Watson
KAROO WILD Safaris wrote on AHAssistant's profile.
Hi Susan

I've rejoined Ah after a year break. Jerome has helped me re: set up my signature and banner. In my absence, I see there's a new resources page. How do I go about building a page and adding client reviews to it. I see a lot of other outfitters have got a text section, followed by pics and videos, and lastly some reviews. I'd like to do something similar.

Thanks for your help

Victor Watson
ABOUT US

We believe that a hunter's experience should be cherished, and so we offer a service that honours those unique and special memories and equips you to tell your adventure story. Every part of your journey with us, from communication to craftsmanship is carefully considered in order to create an experience worth remembering.
Services Flyer 2.jpg
Rare Breed wrote on USMA84DAB's profile.
Doc attached.
elkhunter77 wrote on Mark Biggerstaff's profile.
Yes, I am interested in some A Frames to load, if they are the 300 grain or other that will work for Cape Buff. I need enough to work up a load and sight in, then carry over there