450 No 2 Nitro Express Project

Today is a good day, with the help of @SkullKeeper I was able to find and purchase a die set and shell holder from CH4D - that they had in stock! The mail carrier and Fed Ex came bearing gifts as well! My donor rifle is on its way to the smith for a new barrel and metal work. Ruger sent me new sights to fix the very "off" factory zero on the .300 H&H CB. Also, Huntington's order arrived with a Woodleigh reloading manual and Bertram brass for my project.

Things are moving right along.

14957512-090C-447B-8A33-A3AE6ED7864B.jpeg
A1C79FFB-E756-41C6-86BE-9A9EB2367F84.jpeg
922E0DEC-6591-4100-8158-ED3118594994.jpeg
71F26516-78B3-40F9-96E4-098E95C90D20.jpeg
75C07081-95DC-4676-9DB4-DA5301FDD8D7.jpeg

Today is a good day, with the help of @SkullKeeper I was able to find and purchase a die set and shell holder from CH4D - that they had in stock! The mail carrier and Fed Ex came bearing gifts as well! My donor rifle is on its way to the smith for a new barrel and metal work. Ruger sent me new sights to fix the very "off" factory zero on the .300 H&H CB. Also, Huntington's order arrived with a Woodleigh reloading manual and Bertram brass for my project.

Things are moving right along.

View attachment 541113View attachment 541114View attachment 541115View attachment 541116View attachment 541117
Blessings have fallen upon you! Lovely timber too ...

Nice blanks there !
PM me and I’ll share some load data for the 450#2 that has been excellent for me.
Thank you, will do! I am trying to decide if I will go traditional to start and get 480 gr bullets or go the easy route and grab some 450 gr and 500 gr. I will reach out shortly, getting ready for work at present.

I love traditional walnut and blueing so my vote goes for that.
I love that combo as well. I am considering it but not sure how well stainless blues. I also really like that target grey stainless finish that Ruger put out a few years back and thought that something like that or bead blasted would look very nice. The downside to bead blasted finish is how much it can show scratches, etc.

Project is nearly a reality. I am sending a dummy cartridge to my gunsmith so he can make sure of reliable feeding/extracting. After that is confirmed or corrected he will bead blast the rifle and send it my way!

IMG_7249.jpeg
20240103_091908.jpeg

Project is nearly a reality. I am sending a dummy cartridge to my gunsmith so he can make sure of reliable feeding/extracting. After that is confirmed or corrected he will bead blast the rifle and send it my way!

View attachment 579424View attachment 579425
What are you looking for as a finished weight? I have been looking at doing this same thing as doubles in 450#2 seem to be not just scarce, but invariably well out of my budget. Already have brass and dies. Been keeping an eye out for a 458WM Ruger #1 for awhile to be the donor.

What are you looking for as a finished weight? I have been looking at doing this same thing as doubles in 450#2 seem to be not just scarce, but invariably well out of my budget. Already have brass and dies. Been keeping an eye out for a 458WM Ruger #1 for awhile to be the donor.
I went with a 26" barrel and a solid quarter rib to add a bit of weight, I will probably add 1-2 lbs of weight internal to the stock and use a Falcon Strike buttpad to further reduce recoil. Ruger No. 1's are light and known to kick hard so any help I can get to tame it will be looked at. I would love to get it to 11lbs but that may not be possible.

I used a .405 Win as a donor rifle as the rim was the closest in dimension so the extractor will need less work to fit. At least that is my theory. My smith made a new barrel anyway so having a .458 wasn't necessary.

Let me know when you have your project lined up and I can loan you my chamber reamer and go/no go guage.

88 grains Reloader 15 gets me 2150 fps with 480 CEB solids. I use 3 grains of dacron filler.

Just got the rifle back from my smith and it looks good! I had him glass bead blast the rifle for a no-glare gray finish. I had sent it back to get a bit more shaved off the feed trough for smooth feeding/ejecting and that seems to have done the trick. I need to smooth up the extractor a bit because it is very hard on the cartridge rim. Going to give it a good cleaning and function fire. Will post some photos soon. Rifle weighs 8 lbs and the recoil is not bad at all with a just a sweatshirt on.

That’s outstanding that is very good velocity. I’m looking forward to seeing it.!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Donnie58Q

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!