.45 ACP recommendations

My bear/woods gun. Springfield V16 LongSlide in 45 Super. Kicks like a 9mm hits like a 41 Mag

dP68XU1.jpg

0fVzp4R.jpg

PqqTFwi.png

Attachments

• 0fVzp4R.jpg
    0fVzp4R.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 225
  • dP68XU1.jpg
    dP68XU1.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 370
  • PqqTFwi.png
    PqqTFwi.png
    416.5 KB · Views: 219
Last edited by a moderator:
Most any brand as long as it's 1911 style. Looks like you did just that. Congrats.

I assume you want this primarily for self defense. Since it sounds like you are new to this so I would recommend going with a full size self loader in 1911 or a Glock 21' (SF). Get some training and experience before going to compacts or sub-compacts and make sure the handgun reasonably fits you hands.There are other decent pistols out there but these two are what I have settled on. Also you'll want to get a good belt, holster, a couple of magazine carriers, several spare magazines, lots of ammo and some training. If you think you want a revolver there are some in .45ac but I am not up to date on those.

There is more to being a good pistolero than just shooting. With training you should learn how to do malfunction clearances, the different reloads and various other things.
Good Luck on your endeavor.

DSCN0170-X3.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN0170-X3.jpg
    DSCN0170-X3.jpg
    668.4 KB · Views: 254
P1000491.JPG
Nothing Fancy just a great Shooter

You can never go wrong with a 1911...unless you get one in 40 S&W

DSCN8832-X4.jpg

DSCN8875-X3.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN8832-X4.jpg
    DSCN8832-X4.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 205
  • DSCN8875-X3.jpg
    DSCN8875-X3.jpg
    747.8 KB · Views: 191
I doubt you'll find a small lightweight in 45acp. Caliber alone dictates some size and weight. Probably about as small as you will find is an Officer's Model Colt or similar. Nowadays a 9mm is just about as effective and a whole lot smaller, lighter and cheaper to feed. I've tried about everything out there and I am and have been since the 1960s a 1911 man. Simplest, safest and most reliable semi I have found. Good luck in your search.
I carry a Smith m&p shield in 45 in the small of my back every day. To about 20 yards, it will hang with most of the big frames in my safe. Yes, it bites a little with handloads and 230 grain projectiles but it shoots fabulous. Just to clarify, my CC ammo is no handloads.

I always wanted a nice Colt .45 , Mk.4 Model 70, 1911 Government model..was looking for one the past ten years.. Yesterday I my got my Colt .45 Mk4 Model 70 as a gift from Johan Greyling my good friend..here is a photo of the perfect Colt I was looking for so many years..
210e9e52-4065-4e16-8378-dac945f4b671.jpg
7fade0d6-8273-4cac-bc10-b8257b3915d6.jpg
51dd7681-e564-4931-b80f-e37039912e78.jpg
01dbe56e-9e95-4529-b44d-fb12085727c0.jpg
fa916b57-3d64-4702-9722-755767c006cc.jpg

My carry is a Sig 938 in 9mm. Small but it's a 1911 style. 1911. The only way to go.

Michael do you have a problem with the cross pins holding the rear sights?...on my gold cup they break...it doesn't get much use but has happened 2 or 3 times now....
That's odd....... Those nickel guns I have not even fired since I had those done, but they were fired a good bit before being finished, and never had that issue. In addition, I have other blue Gold Cups and never had that problem with them either. Over the years I have had several Gold Cups here and I never recall having that happen. The odds of getting 2-3 bad pins are also insane. I honestly don't have a clue as to why you would be having such a problem, very sorry.........

DSCN8788-X3.jpg

DSCN0649-X3.jpg

I carry a Smith m&p shield in 45 in the small of my back every day
Keep mine in the truck, instead of any of my hi grade 1911s, if something happens to the Shield, oh well, no big deal....... I do like mine a lot.... its a fine tool.....

DSCN3925-X3.jpg

That's odd....... Those nickel guns I have not even fired since I had those done, but they were fired a good bit before being finished, and never had that issue. In addition, I have other blue Gold Cups and never had that problem with them either. Over the years I have had several Gold Cups here and I never recall having that happen. The odds of getting 2-3 bad pins are also insane. I honestly don't have a clue as to why you would be having such a problem, very sorry.........

DSCN8788-X3.jpg

DSCN0649-X3.jpg

Ok thanks for the response...yeah frustrating as will have to try get a pin whenever next in usa...with it happening that often I thought it might be a general issue...

I was a diehard 45acp fan boy for 40 years.
With bullet technology like it is today, there is not much difference in 45 vs 9mm.

Ask yourself, if you had to choose between 15 rounds or 8 rounds heading into a shots fired scenario, which would you pick up?

I know it is 1911 45acp heresy, but a glock 19 all day. Small and dependable.

If you just want to limit yourself to 45, XDS compact.

DB

Reactions: BWH
Not to have a discussion about the pro`s and cons between the 9mm or the .45 ACP ..I do not believe it serves any purpose at all. I do not care if there is a better option to defend yourself like the 9mm at all.
I love the Colt.45 ACP 1911 steel frame Mk 4 Model 70 pistol...I just need to learn to shoot it very accurately, this is the hardest challenge for me but something I am looking forward to.

Self-defense is not the highest priority for me at all. Putting distance between a dangerous situation by any means of transport, being it my car, or my own two feet of crawling out of a dangerous shooting situation is priority..

If I am lucky enough to survive it would be great if I had to use my Colt .45 Mk 4 Model 70 to do it...that is why I am limiting myself to only 8x rounds in the magazine, more than that will give me a false sense of security..I like to be the "under dog" (y)

There is no difference in our "Hunting World" and the "Streets"............... Caliber wins every single time, in the field and in the streets........... 458 trumps 375, every single time............ 45 trumps .355 every single time...............To think otherwise, is foolish...... the exact same bullet tech you put in 9mm, you put in 45 ACP....... Caliber WINS.........

Pros and Cons of 9mm vs 45 ACP is indeed a folly and waste of time............ Regardless of choice, a handgun, even the mighty magnums, are pale in comparison to a proper rifle for the purpose...... Use your handgun to get to your long gun.............in street mode, 223, 300 BLK, 308 Win, or similar......

I have plenty of 9mm guns and plenty of 45 ACP guns....... I am not limited to one each...........I have multiples of both.......

Now, really, tell me which you think is going to be more effective.................

DSC09514-XL.jpg
DSCN2756-X4.jpg
DSCN2757-X4.jpg
DSCN2759-X4.jpg
DSCN2760-X4.jpg

Michael, none of those different bullets/rounds will of any use to you in a life threatening situation if you are not capable of shooting your pistol or rifle accurately under pressure at all. This is why it is important to me to learn to shoot the Colt .45 I recently got accurate or learn to throw a brick or rock accurate at an assailant if I am not able to learn to shoot the Colt .45 accurately in a threatening situation...depending on a big bore bullet or a high capacity magazine might let you down.. (y)

Michael, none of those different bullets/rounds will of any use to you in a life threatening situation if you are not capable of shooting your pistol or rifle accurately under pressure at all. This is why it is important to me to learn to shoot the Colt .45 I recently got accurate or learn to throw a brick or rock accurate at an assailant if I am not able to learn to shoot the Colt .45 accurately in a threatening situation...depending on a big bore bullet or a high capacity magazine might let you down.. (y)
Makes no difference what you shoot if you can't hit what you shoot at. One well placed hit will do the job be it rifle, pistol, shotgun or rock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg