.45 ACP recommendations

colorado

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
My bear/woods gun. Springfield V16 LongSlide in 45 Super. Kicks like a 9mm hits like a 41 Mag

Attachments

• 0fVzp4R.jpg
    0fVzp4R.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 27
  • dP68XU1.jpg
    dP68XU1.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 26
  • PqqTFwi.png
    PqqTFwi.png
    416.5 KB · Views: 32
Last edited by a moderator:

Newboomer

Gold supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA, SCI, American Legion, Freemasons
Hunted
RSA, Maine, Montana, Colorado, Texas, Alaska, California.
Most any brand as long as it's 1911 style. Looks like you did just that. Congrats.

dchamp

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, Australia, Namibia, Canada, Argentina
I assume you want this primarily for self defense. Since it sounds like you are new to this so I would recommend going with a full size self loader in 1911 or a Glock 21' (SF). Get some training and experience before going to compacts or sub-compacts and make sure the handgun reasonably fits you hands.There are other decent pistols out there but these two are what I have settled on. Also you'll want to get a good belt, holster, a couple of magazine carriers, several spare magazines, lots of ammo and some training. If you think you want a revolver there are some in .45ac but I am not up to date on those.

There is more to being a good pistolero than just shooting. With training you should learn how to do malfunction clearances, the different reloads and various other things.
Good Luck on your endeavor.

Rob404

Bronze supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, Member Minnesota Horse and Hunt,,Caribou Hunt Club
Hunted
Illinois,Wisconsin,Michigan Limpopo Province South Africa
P1000491.JPG
Nothing Fancy just a great Shooter

Saul

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
USA, UK, Hungary, Argentina
You can never go wrong with a 1911...unless you get one in 40 S&W

Arapaho

Reaction score
I doubt you'll find a small lightweight in 45acp. Caliber alone dictates some size and weight. Probably about as small as you will find is an Officer's Model Colt or similar. Nowadays a 9mm is just about as effective and a whole lot smaller, lighter and cheaper to feed. I've tried about everything out there and I am and have been since the 1960s a 1911 man. Simplest, safest and most reliable semi I have found. Good luck in your search.
I carry a Smith m&p shield in 45 in the small of my back every day. To about 20 yards, it will hang with most of the big frames in my safe. Yes, it bites a little with handloads and 230 grain projectiles but it shoots fabulous. Just to clarify, my CC ammo is no handloads.

Latest profile posts

I’ll never hunt Africa, but give me please a Jack O’Connor hunt up high in the Canadian Rockies!
Just came from a hunt and already longing for the bush
JPmbogo wrote on yhc's profile.
I have factory loaded Hornady 450 NE 3 1/4 DGS that I am selling for not much more than the brass itself at $75/box - see my listing for same.
Justbryan wrote on Rafter JK's profile.
Get Crazy Larry yet? Wishing I had shot Alpine Ibex too!