.416 Rigby racket..

I have a never shot nor heard the likes of the .416 Rigby! I recently purchased a Ruger No.1 in this caliber and SUNDAY.. is GUNDAY! Fellas, what can I expect? Can anyone describe what it sounds like? I can imagine this thing is going to get everyone's attention,..ESPECIALLY ME!!

If you're shooting factory rounds, I suspect the recoil will be stout with the lightweight No. 1. If you get into hand loading and load the cartridge to it's potential in modern day rifles, it will be significantly more than stout.

My CZ in .416 seems to kick no more than my Winchester Model 70 in .375 H&H.

I think a Ruger #1 in .416 will give you a solid "push".

Don't start out with shooting it from a bench rest. You need to learn to "roll with the punch".

When you do, it is not as bad as a 12 gauge shotgun, with 3 1/2" turkey loads.

Many of the famous Ivory hunters shot big guns, but were not big guys.

They just put about 70-80% of their weight on their front foot and let the recoil provide the balance.

If it fits properly and you do not shoot from a sitting bench you will find it a stout , but not a punishing caliber. When you shoot your first buff it will feel like a .22 (kinda).

cheers,Lon
I can vouch for that! When I was working up loads for my 416 Rigby I went to an indoor range to sight in and verify loads, there were a couple of groups of shooters on the same range shooting their 5.56 rifles. Everyone was wearing hearing protection as required but when I touched off my first round, the other shooting stopped, the silence was deafening and the other shooters all came over to investigate their WTF was that curiosity. And ask "What do you shoot with that? I offered the opportunity for them to try it but there were no takers

to the OP,

i think that getting your rifle to weigh in at 10-11 pounds will be the thing easiest to do and make it tolerable to shoot. i suspect you will find it "snappy" but shooting off sticks or offhand as recommended before is good advice.

A 12 gauge 3 inch 1 7/8 turkey load has 54 foot pounds of recoil in an 8.75 pound shotgun. About the same as the Rigby. Most turkey guns are around 7 pounds.
A 3 1/2 inch turkey load would go well over 60 pounds particularly in a 7 pound Benelli like mine. It is nasty patterning at the bench but not noticeable when you shoot a turkey.

A 12 gauge 3 inch 1 7/8 turkey load has 54 foot pounds of recoil in an 8.75 pound shotgun. About the same as the Rigby. Most turkey guns are around 7 pounds.
A 3 1/2 inch turkey load would go well over 60 pounds particularly in a 7 pound Benelli like mine. It is nasty patterning at the bench but not noticeable when you shoot a turkey.
I’ve shot a 3 1/2” 12 gauge a few times. I’ll never do it again. They kick worse than a 458 Lott or 470 NE. And they’re totally unnecessary for shooting even the biggest birds, Canada Geese and Turkeys included. Hell, on the 4 days I hunted Canada Geese last year, I shot a 28 gauge. With quality shells (I shoot Hevi-X Tungsten 4’s) it kills honkers just fine.

Shoot better shells, not bigger guns.

I have had a no1 in 416Rigby, it was a horrible rifle. Why? Because the stock was "shaped" more lie a 2x6 pice of lumber then a rifle stock.
Sold it on. But pretty sure a proper stock would tame the beast to a manageable gun.

Agreed, I really like my No 1’s, but the stock design and rifle weight makes them brutes in heavy recoiling calibers.

If you're shooting factory rounds, I suspect the recoil will be stout with the lightweight No. 1. If you get into hand loading and load the cartridge to it's potential in modern day rifles, it will be significantly more than stout.
Thanks Phoenix Phil! My No.1 scales out just a touch over 9.8 lbs..thinking about placing some weight in the stock, your thoughts, Sir? Heading to the range

Good day AH!!
What a very fine morning it is, here in, Indiana. Me and this awesome lady are heading out for a day of shooting! Wish me luck..

Screenshot_20220918-092746_Brave~2.jpg

My No.1 scales out just a touch over 9.8 lbs..thinking about placing some weight in the stock, your thoughts,
You may consider installing a mercury recoil reducer or something similar in the stock. I have never used one but I've been told that they can go a long way to taming the beast.

I shot a .416 Rigby for the first time only 3 weeks ago. Although it was from the bench, sighting in the rifle, it was more of a push than a snap. To be honest, my 12ga o&u is less comfortable to shoot.

Thanks Phoenix Phil! My No.1 scales out just a touch over 9.8 lbs..thinking about placing some weight in the stock, your thoughts, Sir? Heading to the range

I'd say shoot it first, and I mean a few times. You may be one of those guys that for some reason thinks more kick from a rifle is more fun. If after a couple or few outings you find it a bit much, then certainly yes, adding weight to the stock or as someone else has already suggested, a mercury recoil reducer may be in order.

Whatever you do for your own sake as well as others that may be around you, don't put on a muzzle brake. They're quite affective, but at the expense of your hearing. I have a permanent high pitch ringing in my left ear from shooting one.

to the OP,

i think that getting your rifle to weigh in at 10-11 pounds will be the thing easiest to do and make it tolerable to shoot. i suspect you will find it "snappy" but shooting off sticks or offhand as recommended before is good advice.
That's what I did with my #1 450/400 NE. Also swapped out that sad excuse of a recoil pad for a proper one. All up including the scope it now weighs 10 1/2 pounds and is an absolute hoot to shoot factory ammo. Too dang much fun :)

I've put maybe a hundred rounds of .416 Rigby down the tube during the last couple of years. The last two went into a cape buffalo and a bull elephant. 400gr bullets just a smidge over 2400 fps. My shooting has been done in a CZ 550. Learning how to shoot it helps. It's not bad at all over the sticks, provided you observe careful technique. Brush the trigger with it a couple inches off your shoulder and you'll learn a few things......

Hold on, snuggle in to it firmly, but not with a death grip. Roll with the recoil and it's actually not that bad. I'd rather shoot it than a .340 Weatherby. Long shove versus quick jab. From a bench it's not that much fun. I usually use a lead sled when I need to get it on paper, and that's the only time I use one.

My Lott weighs about 9 .5 lbs and is quite comfortable to shoot. Even a 515 gr bullet at 2330 fps did not cause any anal leakage. So you should be good with your 416. And if you do want to reduce recoil then use some lead weights in the stock. I am convinced Mercury reducers just add weight anyway.

Agreed, I really like my No 1’s, but the stock design and rifle weight makes them brutes in heavy recoiling calibers.
Agree with WAB.

I love Ruger Number 1’s owned, and still own several.
The Big Bore (over .40 caliber), Ruger No1’s can be like a blunt spear.

i shoot a Ruger No. 1 of 450/400 Nitro. It’s fitted with a 1 inch Pachmyr Decelerator pad. Factory loads are a beast.

My double rifle regulation loads with smaller charges of Reloader 15 are tolerable in the Ruger.

I have owned two 416 Rigby rifles, a Ruger M77 Safari, and a CZ550.
The CZ stock design works up to.500 Jeffery.
Due to stock design and weight/balance, the CZ, was much easier to shoot."

Have owned two Number Ones in .416 Remington Mag, one was okay to shoot, the second was stiff. Probably stock fit dimensions.
Following advice from the many “old hands” here, enjoy shooting your Ruger.416 Rigby shooting off sticks, with a proper recoil pad, slinger up; if you hand load, use the lowest, most accurate powder charge

there’s a difference in 90+ grain powder charges, and 105+ powder charges.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross