.416 Rigby & 9.3x62 suggestions and considerations

I believe Ammotec Finland /RUAG whom owns Norma Precision will run batchs of brass under contract for Lupua /Nammo and vise versa. That why you don't see them often offering the same brass.
Found this out when I went looking for good 7mm Rem mag brass; I contacted Norma in Finland. So often your getting the same brass regardless of head stamp.

That is the best price I have seen for Norma brass. I last purchased 200 cases of privi brass for $66.00 but that was a few years ago.

Hi Matthew,

In my 9,3x62 I have followed John Barsness developments. They matches almost exactly in my ZKK600 60 cm barrel.
250 grs or less nothing better than R15 or W748.
286 and up, I am entirely happy with R15 or, better, W760.
I mention these two Winchester powders because are the only ball powders we have here...
The 760 duplicates the Big Game one. May be thes Winchester powders are rather "old" as far as temperature sensitivity and or clean burning but are very good in the 9,3x62 because their densities.
The 4350s can be used with 286 grs and up but are no ideal because their low densities.

Good luck!

CF

By the way, with NORMA cases, CCI 200 or 250, R15 and or W748, the MV I get, without any stress are:
220 grs FOX monometalic = 2800 plus f/s.
All 250 grs, TSX, TTSX, GMX and H-Mantel 258 grs = 2650 f/s.

With same components but 285/286 gr bullets and W760 I get, easely:
2475 plus f/s.

Good luck!

CF

In my rigby I use 400 gr bullet (old TBBC is my favorite, but the new Hornady DGX seems to work well also), H4831, WW Mag primer, and Hornady or Norma brass. My load chrony's right at 2500 fps, no pressure signs. Works like a champ. For a practice load I shoot Montana Cast 400gr with 5744 at about 2100 fps.

Oh yeah - 1 more thing that I found was very important - trim your brass to uniform length. That allows you to put on a light crimp that I found to be important for consistency and smaller groups.

I have some once fired .416 rigby brass I would be glad to send you if you want it. I don’t reload.

For my 9.3 I use l Redding dies, Lapua brass, fed 210s, 63 gr Ramshot Big Game, 286 North Forks at 2500+.

I also talked with John Barnesness about these loads.

Last edited:
I have had great success with my 9.3 and a variety of good bullets. 250accubonds with 56.5 grains of varget, is very accurate. I have Lapua, Norma, and Hornady brass. I use the same load in all of them. I love lapua brass, Norma has been great too. I have not had great success with the hornady brass. I have had a couple not go off out of a box of 50pcs of new brass. One while deer hunting. Luckily the deer was just far enough away, that I quietly got a new round in and then game over for the deer. Checking the non-firing round later, and the shoulder was set way back on both rounds which caused excessive headspace. This was on new brass. The other round was same way, found it checking shoulder on rest of the rounds. That’s my only explanation for it. I immediately started hunting with lapua and Norma brass. I had used hornady hunting in case I loose them in the woods I don’t get too bothered by it. I am slowly using up the rest of hornady just practicing at range. Until it’s all once fired I won’t hunt with it again

I just started playing with the 286 grain bullets, and I have been using varget and RL15. My gun dies way better accuracy wise with RL15 with heavier bullets. Good accuracy with aframes and partitions. Debating which bullet to use in Africa this summer. I plan on taking my 375h&h and 270 aframes for an Eland, maybe gemsbuck. Plan on using the 9.3 for everything else. I know it makes no sense, they are very close, but I like my 9.3, and it needs to go to Africa too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onlinegambling-review

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you