.404 Jeffery

A classic cartridge, with very good ballistics. Thanks to God to today this big cartridge is promoted. It would not be important for me to have a rifle in this cartridge.

Oscar.

I have an old Jeffery rifle, manufactured in 1920 chambered in 404 Jeffery. I plan to hunt a buffalo with this "grandpa" rifle this June... and i will do my best with iron sights.

I feel is like a "sin" to drill this old british rifle, to add him a scope... so i will not do it. I have tested the rifle at home, and shooting it for practising, and the recoil with 400 grains bullets is quite mild for such a big caliber.

6077d1298646999-404-jeffery-2wp086g.jpeg

Really i can't wait the moment to be in front of the Buffalo with the old Jeffery in my hands.
JM

Attachments

• 2wp086g.jpeg
    2wp086g.jpeg
    65.7 KB · Views: 364
Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys

Do any of you have tested results for the 404J with bullets ranging from 300gr to 400gr

Thanx in advance

I have an old Jeffery rifle, manufactured in 1920 chambered in 404 Jeffery. I plan to hunt a buffalo with this "grandpa" rifle this June... and i will do my best with iron sights.

I feel is like a "sin" to drill this old british rifle, to add him a scope... so i will not do it. I have tested the rifle at home, and shooting it for practising, and the recoil with 400 grains bullets is quite mild for such a big caliber.

6077d1298646999-404-jeffery-2wp086g.jpeg

Really i can't wait the moment to be in front of the Buffalo with the old Jeffery in my hands.
JM

Well done! Gorgeous rifle, and you're quite right, I think it would scream if drilled and tapped. Irons are even better than a scope in my humble opinion for Cape Buffalo. I am very envious of that rifle, just about the perfect medium-heavy rifle in my eyes.

Question for chemarq. In the picture it looks like the gun is a small ring Mauser 98. Is that what it is or am I just not seeing the "step" on the side wall receiver ring joint? Nice rifle!

Question for chemarq. In the picture it looks like the gun is a small ring Mauser 98. Is that what it is or am I just not seeing the "step" on the side wall receiver ring joint? Nice rifle!

Yes... you are right. Is a Jeffery with mauser 98 action. I think it is small ring... so the barrel starts without any "step" from the action. As you can see in this other pic.

6082d1298653639-404-jeffery-usk8p.jpeg

I am relly happy with this rifle. When i bought it, it was not as beautifull as is now... after some work on it... And the best thing is the rifle shoots really accurate (for iron sights), and the recoil is suprisingly mild.

Attachments

• usk8p.jpeg
    usk8p.jpeg
    61.5 KB · Views: 298
Here you have a pic from the other side.

6083d1298653911-404-jeffery-2ypbsdx.jpeg

The restoration work has been excelent in this gun IMO.

:D

Attachments

• 2ypbsdx.jpeg
    2ypbsdx.jpeg
    60.1 KB · Views: 305
Yes it is very nice. Seems building a .404 on a small ring Mauser is a little unusual though. Obviously the action is strong enough to handle it or it would have blown by now. The .404 is a relatively low pressure round in factory form but it can be loaded up to equal the .416 Rigby but there is really no need as it made its reputation with the original loading of 400 grs at about 2150 fps. Good luck on the buff hunt, shoot straight!

Chemarq, your rifle is very nice, congradulations and good luck on your cape buffalo hunt!

Old tread, but can't see it mentioned that Norma PH ammo in 404 Jeffery is made to same "power level" as 416 Rigby. But both Hornady and Kynoch follow the original recipe = same "power level" as 450/400 NE 3", aka .400 Jeffery.

Old tread, but can't see it mentioned that Norma PH ammo in 404 Jeffery is made to same "power level" as 416 Rigby. But both Hornady and Kynoch follow the original recipe = same "power level" as 450/400 NE 3", aka .400 Jeffery.
Actually, when I checked on Hornady's .404J loadings it seemed that they pumped the 400 grain loads up to over 2300 FPS. The 'standard' load is 400 grains at about 2150 FPS.

Reactions: KIH

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MollieTwop

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg