404 Jeffery Project

That was the one. I thought it had decent wood. Usually the inspection period is NO SHOOT. Mine starts with 760. Does that mean something other than vintage?

That was the one. I thought it had decent wood. Usually the inspection period is NO SHOOT. Mine starts with 760. Does that mean something other than vintage?
I had no problem with NO SHOOT, but wanted to know it would feed and needed cartridges for that.

Your 760 is the Express model, likely has one standing and one flip up sight. That is the little brother of the RSM... From what little I know, I could be wrong. The true Magnum Action RSM's or Ruger Safari Magnum rifles start with a 780 (older ones, barrel band inside the fore end wood) or 750 which are the newer ones with a true barrel band front sling mount up front on the barrel.

I have a 270 win, 30-06, and 300 win mag in the Express models or 760 serial numbers. Would love to have one like you have in a 338!

Ruger does have the 404 Jeffrey listed in the owners manual, but I don't believe any actually made it out the door:(

Yes, the Express model, not the magnum or RSM model, but I have incorrectly called it so. Mine was made it appears in 2002 by the number on the Ruger site.
IMG_1791.JPG
IMG_1773.JPG
IMG_1780.JPG
IMG_1775.JPG

Sorry about the hijack!:eek: Seems to be fewer .338's than the others around. This is the only one I have seen in person.

Last edited:
Action Bob I haven't found anyone the would rebore and rifle that didn't have a forever backlog so I just had it rebarreled. Do you have someone that you could reccommend? I have the 375 take off barrel that could end up a 505 Gibbs or 500 Jeffery. My 416 rigby just shoots to well to mess with and I have allottt of brass and ammo for it so it will stay a 416.
Sestoppelman you are correct the RMS 375 and larger have the added recoil system to help dissapate the recoil accross the stock, considering the real small recoil lug on the rugers.

No I don't and if I did I would offer to buy your barrel!

Well finally got through a number of "Honey Doo's" and got to mostly finish my 404 Jeffery. Just need to confirm that the iron sight are regulated. Got in the dies brass and bullets so I need to load some rounds up and get to the range:Pompus: It started off and a 375H&H Ruger RMS. I sent the action off to Pac-Nor to be rebarreled into a 404. They did a very good job. Since the RMS has the recoil system in it and the barrel has the step milled a lug second screw to provide a little pressure on the front lip of the stock. So I milles a small piece and fit/soldered it to the barrel. Soldered a NECG fron ramp and a dakota rear sight base and had it Cera-Koted and added a spacer and as thick a recoil pad as I could find to get close to my LOP. So my traditional three bolt gun battery is complete. 7x57 mauser, 9.3x62 parker hale project and not the 404 Ruger RMS.

View attachment 45330 View attachment 45331 View attachment 45332
I do like your choice of calibers. I have multiples of all three of your calibers chosen. You should be well served.

Action Bob. Have a deal for you(y) After the email about reboring I talked to a gunsmith buddy and he recommended classic Barrel and Gun works in Prescott AZ, so I looked them up and gave them a call; http://www.cutrifle.com/reboring.html He has a turn around time of 75-90 days currently. So If you want I will send you the take off barrel and you can contact them and have your 404 Jeff barrel done. That way it keeps me from adding yet another project to my shop.

Action Bob. Have a deal for you(y) After the email about reboring I talked to a gunsmith buddy and he recommended classic Barrel and Gun works in Prescott AZ, so I looked them up and gave them a call; http://www.cutrifle.com/reboring.html He has a turn around time of 75-90 days currently. So If you want I will send you the take off barrel and you can contact them and have your 404 Jeff barrel done. That way it keeps me from adding yet another project to my shop.
Wow now that sounds like a deal! :):D Beers:

Send me a PM with a mailing address and I will get the barrel shipped. I will take you up on the smiley dudes beer when we get to SCI or Dallas at the same time:D Beers:

Bob,
Have the barrel packed and will ship it US priority mail tomorrow.
Have a great evening.

Dave

So Bob, you are going to have a RSM in 404J ? If you die first, will you leave your rifles to me?

:whistle:He can't because I'm in line first!

Thanks ever so much @AZDAVE !

And sorry guys, I plan to outlive both of you!

However, as Dave suggested, I'm paying forward taking a fellow member out shooting big bores tomorrow, weather permitting; )

That is dang fine of you AZDAVE! As a fellow RSM enthusiast I'm really happy to see you guys make this happen (y) :)
ActionBob, I will be waiting and looking forward to hearing how this turns out. If you are happy with the results I may very well follow your lead and acquire another .375 RSM for this purpose.
Good luck!

Welcome to the 404 world. I have a Christopher Funk (1926) and a current CZ rework by Lon Paul. You built a very nice 404.
I too shoot the 7x57 and 9.3x62. I have several of both. Better tomorrows!

I don't have photos to share but maybe someday. I have five (Wilkes, Mauser, Rigby,Win., FN) of the 7x57's and three of the 9.3x62. My takedown John Wilkes 7x57 is a joy and a killer. I have a FN double trigger 9.3x62. The custom Husky 9.3x62 which has been to Africa twice with me. It is a joy to shoot and a killing machine. The third one is a CZ550 I bought and gave my son so he would get his fingerprints off my Husky.

That is dang fine of you AZDAVE! As a fellow RSM enthusiast I'm really happy to see you guys make this happen (y) :)
ActionBob, I will be waiting and looking forward to hearing how this turns out. If you are happy with the results I may very well follow your lead and acquire another .375 RSM for this purpose.
Good luck!
IdaRam, You have me thinking about the same possibility now. Bob, post those pics as soon as the rifle is finished......Does the same work for a M70 .375?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hi88vipsite

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg