Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
NRA life, DSC, SCI
Hunted
Minnesota, Texas, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, British Columbia, Argentina, Kansas, Macedonia, Austria
IdaRam, You have me thinking about the same possibility now. Bob, post those pics as soon as the rifle is finished......Does the same work for a M70 .375?
David I am grass green about doing this so it will be a learning experience for me as I go but I have some ideas to explore... This will be months in the making so stay tuned and stay patient;)

Both cartridges are the same length so it ought to work. However there are some model 70's in 300 Rem Ultra mag which is made using the 404 jeff as the parent cartridge... I actually just bought one (pretty cheap even) to try shooting as a long range model... But I have the option of turning it into a 404 jeff if I don't care for the ultra mag. This way the bolt face should be ready to go and the mag box should be fine as is also?

David get back to me in a week or two and I will try to see how well the 404 cartridges fit and may even have prices on re-boring or re-barreling.

stug

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
NZ
You might want to check on the boltface thing. The Ultramags have a rebated rim and are standard magnum bolt face, I don't think the 404 Jeff has a rebated rim.

sierraone

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Dallas Safari Club, Safari Club Int.
Hunted
USA, RSA, Northwest and Limpopo Provinces
David I am grass green about doing this so it will be a learning experience for me as I go but I have some ideas to explore... This will be months in the making so stay tuned and stay patient;)

Both cartridges are the same length so it ought to work. However there are some model 70's in 300 Rem Ultra mag which is made using the 404 jeff as the parent cartridge... I actually just bought one (pretty cheap even) to try shooting as a long range model... But I have the option of turning it into a 404 jeff if I don't care for the ultra mag. This way the bolt face should be ready to go and the mag box should be fine as is also?

David get back to me in a week or two and I will try to see how well the 404 cartridges fit and may even have prices on re-boring or re-barreling.

So are you suggesting that a M70 in 300 RUM would work for a 404J just by replacing the barrel for the larger bullet, but the bolt and everything else would remain the same?

AZDAVE

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa,Namibia, Alaska,lower 48
Sierraone I don't see why not its the correct length action. Either have the barrel rebored and rifled or have someone like Pac-Nor rebarrel it to a 404 Jeff.

ActionBob

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
NRA life, DSC, SCI
Hunted
Minnesota, Texas, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, British Columbia, Argentina, Kansas, Macedonia, Austria
Yea Daves; I am no expert but I believe that is correct! @AZDAVE if I understand correctly, a 375 H&H would need the bolt face reworked just a bit... Is that correct? And the RUM being based on the 404 case should be perfect already.

I don't think those M70's in 300 RUM are real common but they are out there. However there are lots of M700 Remington's in that caliber, if your ok with a push feed.

And I think there are other RUM calibers based on the 404 brass ... So @sierraone go a little googleing and then search some gun sights ans you'll find something... I'm betting you can come up with a simple project to get a 404 for well under $2000. Probably a lot less.

However to me the perfect 404 will be the Ruger RSM ;)

sierraone

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunted
Sierraone I don't see why not its the correct length action. Either have the barrel rebored and rifled or have someone like Pac-Nor rebarrel it to a 404 Jeff.
That is interesting. I never would have considered that as a possibility. I know of the RUMs but have no experience with them.

sierraone

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunted
Yea Daves; I am no expert but I believe that is correct! @AZDAVE if I understand correctly, a 375 H&H would need the bolt face reworked just a bit... Is that correct? And the RUM being based on the 404 case should be perfect already.

I don't think those M70's in 300 RUM are real common but they are out there. However there are lots of M700 Remington's in that caliber, if your ok with a push feed.

And I think there are other RUM calibers based on the 404 brass ... So @sierraone go a little googleing and then search some gun sights ans you'll find something... I'm betting you can come up with a simple project to get a 404 for well under $2000. Probably a lot less.

However to me the perfect 404 will be the Ruger RSM ;)

I agree with preferably having the RSM option. But the more options I learn about, the more possibilities I have of making it happen in the future!

ActionBob

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
NRA life, DSC, SCI
Hunted
You might want to check on the boltface thing. The Ultramags have a rebated rim and are standard magnum bolt face, I don't think the 404 Jeff has a rebated rim.
Hmm, you may be right. As I mentioned, I'm no expert just going on bits and pieces I've been told. But I will be checking it out first hand.

Sorry could not get the darn phone camera to focus. But these are of a 404 Jeffrey cartridge. Anybody got a 300 RUM... I will be ordering some.

404 cartrige end.jpg
404 cartrige.jpg

ActionBob

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
NRA life, DSC, SCI
Hunted
@sierraone if the bolt face needs work, might be simpler to re-do a 375 as the cartridges I have are the same length between 404 and 375 H&H.

sierraone

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunted
Does a rebated case imply that the bolt head would have to be opened up or closed inward?

IdaRam

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA Life Member, NAHC Life Member, SCI, DSC, Wild Sheep Foundation, NSSF
Hunted
Idaho, Montana, Utah, Wyoming, California, Alberta Canada, South Africa, Zimbabwe
I will be listening carefully to what you guys have to say about your .404 Jeff projects :)

stug

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
NZ
Wikipedia has the RUM boltface at 0.534" and the 404 jeff at 0.543" 375H&H rim diameter is 0.532" Doesn't have to be opened up much and should be a straight forward job for a gunsmith.

IdaRam

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Hunted
Idaho, Montana, Utah, Wyoming, California, Alberta Canada, South Africa, Zimbabwe
I believe the bolt face on the .375 might need to be opened up just slightly. We're talking about just a very few thousandths of an inch so it is possible a .375 H&H bolt may end up working OK without modification.
Here's some specs
Standard rim diameter on the .375 H&H is .532"
Standard rim diameter on the .404 Jeffery is anywhere between .537" to .543" depending who you listen to.
Standard rim diameter on the Ultra Mag is .534".
Cartridge base diameter on the .404 Jeff is .545" and .550" on the RUM.
So, rebated on the RUM's and not on the Jeffery.

enysse

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
I think you guy just found a way to get rid of those nasty 300 Rem Ultra Mags.

sierraone

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunted
Found a RSM .375 H&H supposedly "like new" this morning just 50 miles from my home, less than $1000. Waiting a response on the email to confirm the rifle is what the seller says!

IdaRam

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Hunted
Good luck sierraone! Deal of the year if that works out! (y)

ActionBob

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
NRA life, DSC, SCI
Hunted
Found a RSM .375 H&H supposedly "like new" this morning just 50 miles from my home, less than $1000. Waiting a response on the email to confirm the rifle is what the seller says!
David what are you waiting for?! For a $1000 RSM you need to grab some cash, run out the door, try not to get a speeding ticket, and go buy that gun now!

A 50 mile run is nothing for even the chance of getting that deal.

sierraone

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunted
David what are you waiting for?! For a $1000 RSM you need to grab some cash, run out the door, try not to get a speeding ticket, and go buy that gun now!

A 50 mile run is nothing for even the chance of getting that deal.

Agreed. Still waiting for him to contact me first to know exactly where to go. Mobile is about 200,000 people.

sierraone

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunted
Bob, IdaRam...So far no contact from the seller. I will post whenever I have contact and either buy or turn down the rifle. It's been a disappointing day so far!

AZDAVE

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa,Namibia, Alaska,lower 48
Opening the bolt may or may not have to be done depending on how much tolerance was built into the bolt by the manufacture. All I needed was to couture the extractor just a bit. Took like 30 seconds. Opening the bolt face if need is childs play for a gunsmith. Way less than when you open a mauser .473 bolt face up to a .523 for a magnum. The 375 length action if perfect for the 404 Jeff conversion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ch89lx

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

gprippers wrote on Tucketed's profile.
Hello, saw that you want the Jeffries brass. So you an either send a USPS money order or paypal i guess, which ever works for you is fine with me at this point. If you want to us Paypal use [redacted] friends and family and dont mention gun stuff at all or they will go bananas! LOL!

Let me know what you want to do.
Thanks,
Rob
Cowboy wrote on MBIZI SAFARIS's profile.
Good afternoon, please send me a list of pricing for 2022.
NTH wrote on JimT's profile.
Hey Jim, I read that you’re from Dequincey and just returned from Africa. I’m from Lake Charles and went there in April. What outfitter did you use and would you share your experience and pics? I won our trip to Kuche through DU.
gprippers wrote on SAFARIKIDD's profile.
Hello! Nice rifle! I have IDENTICAL rifle in 375 H&H so i was wondering what gunsmith did the work on it? Appreciate it and if you decide there is anything you are willing to take in partial trade, let me know. I have quite a few pistols, long guns and sxs & o/u shotguns as well.

Let me know if you are looking for anything in particular.

Thanks,
Rob
Bearhunter46 wrote on Philip Glass's profile.
Philip, do you still have the 416 for sale?