.375 Ruger Velocity 20" vs 23"

In order to meet your goal of 2550 you would have needed to realize a gain of 58.7 FPS @ inch. That was a pretty optimistic expectation if the only change was adding barrel length. The Barnes manual suggests if you step up to 70.0 gr of RL-15 you should get 2580 out of a 24" barrel. Even allowing for a 1" shorter barrel you should still be close to 2550. Every other powder listed in the Barnes manual has max loads +2600 FPS so you can get there if you use the right powder. Personally, I doubt the difference between 2442 and 2550 makes any real world difference to the critter getting shot. YMMV
I'm working on getting some RL17, and a couple more appropriate powders. We have had some crazy winds and freezing rain, so the factory ammo test will have to wait a few days.

I'm actually thinking about (after these tests) having the Alaskan rebarreled as a 26" .416 Ruger. That and my PH friend and I have talked about making a 9.3x66 using the Ruger case.

I wouldn't want to spend 7-10 days in brush with a 26" bolt action. Might as well put a can on it. (Lol)
@deepwater
Why not? I spend a lot of time in the bush with 25 inch barrels. My Whelen has a 25inch barrel plus 1 and a half inches of muzzle brake and have no problems with it.
I load for velocity and accuracy so I'm happy to have a longer barrel but that's just me. The extra length only adds a few ounces.
Bob

I wouldn't want to spend 7-10 days in brush with a 26" bolt action. Might as well put a can on it. (Lol)
My friend, the PH, says thats the difference in cultures. Everything in America is short barrels and tactical. He said you will never see a PH or a Ranger (in Africa) with a short barreled rifle.

Honestly, I live in an area thats nothing but brush. Ive never seen a time when a 26" barrel bothered anything. I think people who believe a 26" is so much of a bother over a 20"-22", are the same ones that have convinced their wives, that it really is 9" too.

Last edited:
bob, you are right.
in this day and age people get off on big theories, and 2 of these are super light weight rifles and short barrels.
theory becomes urban myth, and then morphs into fact.
the same people that prefer the 7x57 to the 280 and the 416 rigby to the 416 rem often seem to want short barrels.
they need to go the whole hog and use the barrel lengths that the colonials used for the complete image.
then and only then are they entitled to wear the obligatory pith helmet.
bruce.

viral, there are some who convince themselves that they have a 10 incher.
and we have not yet entered the realm of tactical shooters.
bruce.

@deepwater
Why not? I spend a lot of time in the bush with 25 inch barrels. My Whelen has a 25inch barrel plus 1 and a half inches of muzzle brake and have no problems with it.
I load for velocity and accuracy so I'm happy to have a longer barrel but that's just me. The extra length only adds a few ounces.
Bob
The reason for me wanting a 26" .416 Ruger, is to match the Rigby without going above 59k psi.

with the tactical guys, tats will not affect length or diameter.
but some of the ones that do body building might also use steroids.
this can reduce a good honest 9 incher to a 3 incher.
bruce.

I was able to get to the range and test a load for 260Gr accubond in the Savage Brush hunter with 20 in barrel and my Ruger African 23in barrel. Using a mid range load of Ramshot Big Game 80.5 gr. (the normal- this is safe in my rifles and your should start 5% below this level warning and are responsible for your own saftey. and If unsure shoot only factory ammo)

Savage 2702fps
Ruger 2765fps
Difference 63 fps
Loss per inch of barrel 21fps

I was able to get to the range and test a load for 260Gr accubond in the Savage Brush hunter with 20 in barrel and my Ruger African 23in barrel. Using a mid range load of Ramshot Big Game 80.5 gr. (the normal- this is safe in my rifles and your should start 5% below this level warning and are responsible for your own saftey. and If unsure shoot only factory ammo)

Savage 2702fps
Ruger 2765fps
Difference 63 fps
Loss per inch of barrel 21fps
Very similar to my own results. Thank you.

Choice Ammunition
270gr TSX @ 2738
African - avg 2727
Alaskan- avg 2671

Obviously I'd like to check every factory loaded option out there, but thats an expensive proposition. Anyone that would like to donate 6 rounds of whatever you want tested, PM me.

Last edited:
270gr Interlock with 80gr RL16
African- 2709 fps
Alaskan- 2644 fps

300gr RN Interlock with 79gr RL17
African- 2647 fps
Alaskan- 2577 fps

My personal Pet load with the 300gr VRG-3 and 77.1gr of RL17, using Fed 215M primers averaged 2594 fps with an ES of 2!

how many shot to measure an e.s. of 2?
bruce.
LoL it was only 3, you couldn't let me enjoy it just a little while longer? Haha I'm greedy with my Peregrine bullets, I can't replace them.

On the 300 grain RN, the ES was 4, and that was 5 shots.

the velocities in the test were low for the case potential, and the powder was faster than optimum.
once you get up to 2550 to 2600, things might look different, and up there that velocity difference would mean lower pressure with the longer barrel for the same velocity.
bruce.
Powder speed and bullets weights have shown to have NO effect on fps/inch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SavannahDo

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg