375 H&H Magnum all round hunting optics

The Zeiss Victory 1-6x42 is an outstanding scope, in my opinion. I also like very much the same cope in the 2.5-10x42 for smaller cartridge use.
I don’t know the proper optical term, but the clarity/ resolution / etc = gives me a great view in lower light. And their #4, 1st plane reticle is certainly a favorite.
That's the one I have - but I think it's a Zeiss Victory HT 1.5-6x42 unless Zeiss makes a 1-6 I don't know about. With the scope I have you could literally hunt by moonlight, it's that bright and the sharpness is incredible. I can see things with that scope that would require a 3-9 in a brand such as Leupold. 1-6x or thereabouts in a high end scope is ideal for a .375 IMHO.

Last edited:
That's the one I have - but I think it's a Zeiss Victory HT 1.5-6x42 unless Zeiss makes a 1-6 I don't know about. With the scope I have you could literally hunt by moonlight, it's that bright and the sharpness is incredible. I can see things with that scope that would require a 3-9 in a brand such as Leupold. 1-6x or thereabouts in a high end scope is ideal for a .375 IMHO.
The Victory line also had illumination though it was in the 1st plane. I also have a 2.5-10x50 illuminated with the # 40 reticle. I would have loved to have had a couple of the 1.5-6x42’s with that reticle.
As to my knowledge, the HT’s are / were all 2nd focal plane reticles. I have a 1.1-4x24 HT with the #54 reticle and illuminated dot.

I’ve gravitated to 1-6x24 on my .375. Ive used both Swaro and Leupold. It currently wears a Leupold but I play around with scopes a fair bit. In my experience, 6x is more than enough magnification at practical hunting ranges. If you are on a specialized hunt that requires accurate shooting beyond 400 yards, you are not likely using a .375 anyway.

I had a Meopta 1.7-10x42 R2. I passed it on to my son. But, I didn’t see it lacking much or anything at all comparing to the same power / objective in Swarovski and some various power ranges of 42mm objective Leica, Schmidt & Benders, and Zeiss when set on same power. I do prefer the Plex non-illuminated reticle in the Swarovski and the # 4 reticle in the S&B and Zeiss. They all seemed to have a slightly different view to my eye. But, all good to my eye for hunting.

Thats right. This scope and a 16 year old top of the range Khales are my go to scope/rifle for low/moon light hunting.

I was also looking at the 1X8 Swarovski.

After looking at a 1.7X10 Swarovski and a 1.7X10 Meopita I mounted the Meopita it was 95% of the Swarovski. I felt I received a best use of my dollars..

YMMV
Enjoy and happy shooting sir!

Thos would be my choice !
Screenshot_20210425-032438_Amazon Shopping.jpg

I wish they still made the EE. I have one, it is an outstanding scope.

Agreed. I’ve the EE version on my 375 and have used it from close range Buffalo through 300yd moose. Excellent optics.

IMG_6485.JPG

I was literally searching for answers to this question. I just picked up this sako in 375hh and need to find some glass. Previous owner said it loves 270 grain swift aframes.

Africa is a year and a bit away for me but I’m going to be ready lol.

Leica Amplus 1-6 , German reticle , illuminated reticle , what’s not to like at about $1100.00 for a really nice scope

Thank you for everyones opinions on this thread. Just some feedback. I got the Z8 1-8 x24. It is amazing. As stated before some of my hunts will be longer distances around 300m. I shot to 400m on gongs today without any issue. The glass is crystal clear and the gongs perfectly visible. The fine 4A cross hair makes for precise shot placement. I would have like the illuminated dot a touch smaller, but this is a really nitpicking, minor critisism. Not that I will hunt that far, but I would be comfortable taking this combo out beyond 600m on steel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stitchcart

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg