375 H&H Magnum all round hunting optics

The Zeiss Victory 1-6x42 is an outstanding scope, in my opinion. I also like very much the same cope in the 2.5-10x42 for smaller cartridge use.
I don’t know the proper optical term, but the clarity/ resolution / etc = gives me a great view in lower light. And their #4, 1st plane reticle is certainly a favorite.
That's the one I have - but I think it's a Zeiss Victory HT 1.5-6x42 unless Zeiss makes a 1-6 I don't know about. With the scope I have you could literally hunt by moonlight, it's that bright and the sharpness is incredible. I can see things with that scope that would require a 3-9 in a brand such as Leupold. 1-6x or thereabouts in a high end scope is ideal for a .375 IMHO.

Last edited:
That's the one I have - but I think it's a Zeiss Victory HT 1.5-6x42 unless Zeiss makes a 1-6 I don't know about. With the scope I have you could literally hunt by moonlight, it's that bright and the sharpness is incredible. I can see things with that scope that would require a 3-9 in a brand such as Leupold. 1-6x or thereabouts in a high end scope is ideal for a .375 IMHO.
The Victory line also had illumination though it was in the 1st plane. I also have a 2.5-10x50 illuminated with the # 40 reticle. I would have loved to have had a couple of the 1.5-6x42’s with that reticle.
As to my knowledge, the HT’s are / were all 2nd focal plane reticles. I have a 1.1-4x24 HT with the #54 reticle and illuminated dot.

I’ve gravitated to 1-6x24 on my .375. Ive used both Swaro and Leupold. It currently wears a Leupold but I play around with scopes a fair bit. In my experience, 6x is more than enough magnification at practical hunting ranges. If you are on a specialized hunt that requires accurate shooting beyond 400 yards, you are not likely using a .375 anyway.

I had a Meopta 1.7-10x42 R2. I passed it on to my son. But, I didn’t see it lacking much or anything at all comparing to the same power / objective in Swarovski and some various power ranges of 42mm objective Leica, Schmidt & Benders, and Zeiss when set on same power. I do prefer the Plex non-illuminated reticle in the Swarovski and the # 4 reticle in the S&B and Zeiss. They all seemed to have a slightly different view to my eye. But, all good to my eye for hunting.

Thats right. This scope and a 16 year old top of the range Khales are my go to scope/rifle for low/moon light hunting.

I was also looking at the 1X8 Swarovski.

After looking at a 1.7X10 Swarovski and a 1.7X10 Meopita I mounted the Meopita it was 95% of the Swarovski. I felt I received a best use of my dollars..

YMMV
Enjoy and happy shooting sir!

Thos would be my choice !
Screenshot_20210425-032438_Amazon Shopping.jpg

I wish they still made the EE. I have one, it is an outstanding scope.

Agreed. I’ve the EE version on my 375 and have used it from close range Buffalo through 300yd moose. Excellent optics.

IMG_6485.JPG

I was literally searching for answers to this question. I just picked up this sako in 375hh and need to find some glass. Previous owner said it loves 270 grain swift aframes.

Africa is a year and a bit away for me but I’m going to be ready lol.

Leica Amplus 1-6 , German reticle , illuminated reticle , what’s not to like at about $1100.00 for a really nice scope

Thank you for everyones opinions on this thread. Just some feedback. I got the Z8 1-8 x24. It is amazing. As stated before some of my hunts will be longer distances around 300m. I shot to 400m on gongs today without any issue. The glass is crystal clear and the gongs perfectly visible. The fine 4A cross hair makes for precise shot placement. I would have like the illuminated dot a touch smaller, but this is a really nitpicking, minor critisism. Not that I will hunt that far, but I would be comfortable taking this combo out beyond 600m on steel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pace88win__

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you